Idaho OTC hunt

Choffman8

Hey I’m from northern Wisconsin. I’ve done a lot of whitetail hunting but never gone for mule deer. I’m planning a backcountry hunt for Idaho next fall. Any tips on what units to look into would be awesome. Any other tips on how to hunt or what to bring would be great too. Thanks

Although I don't blame you for asking, I will tell you that you won't get much response in the which unit part of the request.

It is hard to narrow down which units to hunt so people who have garnered experience and knowledge aren't into giving it up. With good reason.

Best advice I can give is to look on the idaho fish and game website for the hunter success info. Narrow it to a region so you can try a few different units your first year and slowly narrow it down.

You could also try putting it in the idaho forum if you haven't already. The responses will range from something like mine with maybe a bit more info to downright rude....

Another suggestion for this and other sites like it is to come around and establish relationships and contribute info when you can and read and ask questions about methods and techniques. Offer help when you can and then maybe start asking for more info.

The biggest problem with posts like yours (not saying you are like this) is people ask for help and then are never heard from again and never contribute to the site.

Good luck. Go enjoy Idaho and learn it for for yourself its a marathon not a race to achieve the knowledge and ability to be successful in western hunting.

By "backcountry" are you meaning the wilderness units? If so, start a dialogue with IFG's regional biologist. Research past threads, there are quite a few out in the archives and have decent information. IFG's website has a lot of good info on unit pressure, harvest rates and harvest stats.

Although I don't blame you for asking, I will tell you that you won't get much response in the which unit part of the request.

It is hard to narrow down which units to hunt so people who have garnered experience and knowledge aren't into giving it up. With good reason.

Best advice I can give is to look on the idaho fish and game website for the hunter success info. Narrow it to a region so you can try a few different units your first year and slowly narrow it down.

You could also try putting it in the idaho forum if you haven't already. The responses will range from something like mine with maybe a bit more info to downright rude....

Another suggestion for this and other sites like it is to come around and establish relationships and contribute info when you can and read and ask questions about methods and techniques. Offer help when you can and then maybe start asking for more info.

The biggest problem with posts like yours (not saying you are like this) is people ask for help and then are never heard from again and never contribute to the site.

Good luck. Go enjoy Idaho and learn it for for yourself its a marathon not a race to achieve the knowledge and ability to be successful in western hunting.

Founder should pin this somewhere and it should be required reading for any new members. Very respectfully said Bill.

Post on here long enough and you'll see the above info is true. Full disclosure, I have no experience in Idaho, or with the Idaho draw system. But, if you do some research and come up with a couple of units and ask specific questions, that helps a lot. Give a little more info, such as "Hey guys, I've narrowed it down to unit 10 and 20. I don't mind hiking, but my knees can't take steep hills." Or something like "Hey guys, are the roads in unit 10 OK for a truck? Or should I take my ATV?"

Welcome aboard and Good Luck!

Oh, and whatever you do, don't use the word "honey hole!" :D :D

Im going to hunt Idaho next year as well and I’m also new to it. Im confused about mule deer controlled hunts. Can anyone explain Idaho’s controlled hunts vs. the general hunts. Are certain zones not considered controlled until certain dates hit? For example zone 27. I’m looking for an any weapon deer hunt and plan on back packing as well. I’m trying to find an area where I won’t see other hunters. I’m will to hike a long ways if I have to.

Hey I’m from northern Wisconsin. I’ve done a lot of whitetail hunting but never gone for mule deer. I’m planning a backcountry hunt for Idaho next fall. Any tips on what units to look into would be awesome. Any other tips on how to hunt or what to bring would be great too. Thanks

Send a photo of a nice Wisconsin whitetail you’ve tagged!

[/QUOTE

Welcome choffman8!
Are you planning on hunting OTC? I hear there’s a ton of units in that state open to different species. imdont have a clue about there draw system so I’ll leave that for the guys that do my advise call Game & Fish then talk with the local game warden then look in the Regs for unit success etc. As far as what to take or bring hunting I‘d look on the web for books on the subject.

You know I’m so glad I came across your post tonight and here’s why. Theres a lot of great guys on this site in my opinion with a lot of knowledge and hunting skills. The problem I have been seen is that if someone asks a question people don’t want to share ideas they get a sermon. I thought about this one day, before I asked a question on the Forum I thought to my self Self I can just google the question and get the answer, so why should I go to MM and ask a question there to sometimes not get an answer just a lecture!

Now it has been said and it’s true that some guys come on here just to get all the info they can get then go hunting never to be seen or heard from again. Okay those guys are D&CKS! We can’t change them they are what they are. What gets me is when a Newbie comes on here and gets a lecture and we come down too hard on the new person then their embarrassed and never come back for that reason and that reason along. This is suppose to be like a bow shop or a ba sitting around with the boys talking S*hit! Thats the fun.
Also the guys talking about a backcountry trip next fall not this season! How many times on here a guy comes on right before season starts looking for info and people on here say you need to start a year or so in advance not late to the last minutes and want the guys on here to give them the answers. So which is it?

Thanks for your time
Joe

Im going to hunt Idaho next year as well and I’m also new to it. Im confused about mule deer controlled hunts. Can anyone explain Idaho’s controlled hunts vs. the general hunts. Are certain zones not considered controlled until certain dates hit? For example zone 27. I’m looking for an any weapon deer hunt and plan on back packing as well. I’m trying to find an area where I won’t see other hunters. I’m will to hike a long ways if I have to.
There are certain units that are strictly controlled hunt mule deer only. Units like 11,13,14etc. Many other general units have an otc regular season hunt, plus a controlled hunt for the rut.
There are few areas anymore where you can get away and not see a soul. There a lot of hard core hunters that can flat put it down.

The regulations are pretty straight forward in terms of which units offer a general, over the counter tag season. You will find that many units do not have a general season or the general season is 2 point bucks or smaller only, and those units typically have a controlled hunt that is the premier hunt for that unit. If you are already going to buy a license, you might as well spend the money to put in for a controlled hunt, because all non residents have the same odds and if you draw it will be a better hunt. An example- you could put in for the November controlled mule deer tag in unit 40, 41, 42, 22, 54 etc. but if you don’t draw you already have the license so you could buy a general tag and come hunt the general season in a different unit like 35, 36, 39, 43, etc. If you archery hunt, you will find in the regulations that there are opportunities almost statewide in the month of September. You could actually hunt archery in September and come back for rifle in October if you wanted. This is not the case in all units... but again, the first place to start is just read the regulations and understand mule deer, vs whitetail, vs controlled vs general, etc.

Well said mister

The regulations are pretty straight forward in terms of which units offer a general, over the counter tag season. You will find that many units do not have a general season or the general season is 2 point bucks or smaller only, and those units typically have a controlled hunt that is the premier hunt for that unit. If you are already going to buy a license, you might as well spend the money to put in for a controlled hunt, because all non residents have the same odds and if you draw it will be a better hunt. An example- you could put in for the November controlled mule deer tag in unit 40, 41, 42, 22, 54 etc. but if you don’t draw you already have the license so you could buy a general tag and come hunt the general season in a different unit like 35, 36, 39, 43, etc. If you archery hunt, you will find in the regulations that there are opportunities almost statewide in the month of September. You could actually hunt archery in September and come back for rifle in October if you wanted. This is not the case in all units... but again, the first place to start is just read the regulations and understand mule deer, vs whitetail, vs controlled vs general, etc.

Thats some great advice and info there Down the Pipe! Isn‘t Idaho a state with some rough N tough terrain? I know a retired Police Officer that asked me about black bear hunting there he said there is some monsters and the units had OTC tags. I told him to check out MM because I have no idea. Go any of you guys remember ElkNut isn’t he from Idaho? In know him and his boys really tear up the elk where they hunt. I still check out his website every now and then

Joe

Any unit can produce a representative mature buck. Look at the southeast if you are looking for large racks. Units 78 and 76. Units 45, 48 and 36 for general tag mature bucks but you will need to hunt hard. Unit 27 is wilderness so foot or horseback with generally smaller racks but mature bucks available. Unit 11 and most Hell's Canyon units hold great bucks. Units 30 and 21A are good late but you will work for them. Hunt the last week of the general season as the big boys come out of the woodwork as the rut approaches.

Well, I would actually like to congratulate Mr. Hoffman. It does get old seeing people come on here and ask for information about units that they have never set foot on.

But to Mr. Hoffman’s credit. This is not a week or two after draw results, nor is it a week or two before the hunt.

Unlike 95% of the people that do this, Mr. Hoffman is planning a year ahead and asking for generic information (i.e. general units instead of locations inside of units, and gear that he will need to acquire that he does not use for whitetail).

it’s actually kind of refreshing to see someone do homework, prior to their hunt and not expect a hand out.

Any unit can produce a representative mature buck. Look at the southeast if you are looking for large racks. Units 78 and 76. Units 45, 48 and 36 for general tag mature bucks but you will need to hunt hard. Unit 27 is wilderness so foot or horseback with generally smaller racks but mature bucks available. Unit 11 and most Hell's Canyon units hold great bucks. Units 30 and 21A are good late but you will work for them. Hunt the last week of the general season as the big boys come out of the woodwork as the rut approaches.

I think every zone you mentioned is a controlled hunt. Unless I’m misunderstanding the rules and regulations for idaho

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom