Idaho Spring Bear 2021

H4L

I am a Colorado hunter planning on heading to Idaho for a DIY OTC Spring Bear hunt for 10-14 days the last week of April into the first week of May. It will be my first experience bear hunting and first time doing non resident hunting. I plan on spot and stalking because I have no experience with baiting. I usually do long solo backcountry backpacking hunts for 4-5 nights (Army Vet use to carrying a lot on my back for a lot of miles over shitty terrain). I was invited to go on this hunt by an experienced fall bear hunter who wants to start getting into backpack/backcountry hunts.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what OTC unit we should start to focus on? I've been looking at the units south of the Snake River. From everything I've read it seems like the general consensus is the farther north the better. I would like to keep the hunt as far SW as possible just to keep my drive shorter but, if the advantages of a Northern ID hunt are worth it we may make the drive. It's an 11 hour drive to Idaho Falls I'd like to keep the drive under 14 hours.

Any advice or guidance for Spring bear hunting in Idaho is greatly appreciated.

Additionally, I am considering moving to ID so this trip will also be a somewhat of a scouting trip for a house or property.

Agree with the last two weeks of May
That's what we do yearly. We hunt north and not experienced with bear units in the south end of state. Be carefull, bear hunting will get in your blood;)

The further north you go the better. Probably the best unit I’ve hunted for spring bear is 4. Anywhere in the pan handle will do though, of course there’s bears all over but there thick up there

I appreciate all the feedback. I will be changing my plan later to mid to late may.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom