Idaho Tag Soug

dgfavor

Well I gave'r hell again and having tag soup again!! I'm pretty much the worst hunter ever. I had a chance at a really nice 26-28" 4x4, still in velvet on Oct. 12 like he has something wrong with him, that I managed to screw up at 40yds; I passed on a couple "good for this tag" nice 3x4's I was totally set up on at 230yds. because I was pretty sure there was a "better" one with them I wasn't seeing (I still think he was in there and my neighbors got him the next day - a 4x5 with an inline on back); and I had a real pretty, "looks big" 4x4 disappear into thin air like they seem so able to do after what I thought was a great stalk - apparently not. My buddy bagged a nice buck on opening day then we had his daughters down for a couple days which was a hoot - one had a tag. We were able to get her on a nice 3x3 but she just couldn't close the deal on him and got busted trying to get set up for a shot on a nice little 4x4 the next morning by a little 2 point that alerted the whole mountain. Always good to be out and good times as usual!!

A few pics from the phone:
"Camp" - the Mrs. and I ran the hounds a time or two in our down time:

52459062477_b377122407_b.jpg

52459060527_66ce28dbcb_b.jpg

52460112408_7615f8eda3_b.jpg

52460112463_0e15238746_b.jpg

52459060327_db5a79f92e_b.jpg

52460028055_4ec8053fb5_b.jpg

52459584661_d2b3eb47f7_b.jpg

52459851299_12cd454118_z.jpg

52459851254_c8985b7d50_z.jpg

Probably the reason I never get anything is I'm always screwing around trying to take pics or video stuff - probably missing the whopper I've been holding out for looking down at my gear!! ?
1666973395878.gif
Some video clips:

1666973395885.gif

That’s awesome man! Thanks for sharing the hunt. I’m probably going to kick myself in the butt when I get older for not taking more pics. And video.

Do you happen to know what the crop is in your pictures? This is the field that is just south of your property in unit 73.

Do you happen to know what the crop is in your pictures? This is the field that is just south of your property in unit 73.

That's my property as well - I lease out those ag acres. That crop was proso millet, sold for bird seed, and came in pretty good. I think they got ~30bu/acre but there is still alot of seed remaining in the residue and stubble. Kind of a cool looking crop.

52463608620_5cdbe4483c_k.jpg

Have them plant it in flaxseed then you can get some good pictures of elk
I think my leasee would rather the elk leave their crops alone. ? It was in dryland sunflowers year prior...elk went nuts and were mowing it down, going along nipping the tops right off.

More fodder for why my tag goes un-punched. I was trying to re-locate the velvet buck I'd botched up a few days prior but got distracted and ended up entertaining myself phone-skoping the boys harvesting the millet ?

I think my leasee would rather the elk leave their crops alone. ? It was in dryland sunflowers year prior...elk went nuts and were mowing it down, going along nipping the tops right off.

More fodder for why my tag goes un-punched. I was trying to re-locate the velvet buck I'd botched up a few days prior but got distracted and ended up entertaining myself phone-skoping the boys harvesting the millet ?
I know those elk can do a lot of damage but they are cool to look at. I spend a lot of time repairing fence that the elk have damaged. But I still like having them come in.

Are you planning to build on your property?

We've talked about it on that piece north of the highway where I put in a well and we camp at but it's relatively undisturbed thru there and I kinda hate to "upset" it. It sounds like my neighbor may have some firmer plans to build in the draw directly to the north of that piece we camp on and my neighbor to south mentioned building as well - probably inevitable there'll be a Maverick out there soon!

And here I thought that you guys were bird hunters! Very disappointed. At least there is an English Pointer in one of your pics, some slight redemption!

We have a mutual friend, Think about the most hardcore bird hunter ya know who also has a very loud laugh (Mike R)--he taught me how to bird hunt and speaks highly of ya dg. Maybe not Josh though ? just kiddin

And here I thought that you guys were bird hunters! Very disappointed. At least there is an English Pointer in one of your pics, some slight redemption!

We have a mutual friend, Think about the most hardcore bird hunter ya know who also has a very loud laugh (Mike R)--he taught me how to bird hunt and speaks highly of ya dg. Maybe not Josh though ? just kiddin

Mike and Sophie swung by on their way home from hunting deer in neighboring unit. She got a good buck I heard. They talked to my wife cuz I was on my way back up the mountain with fresh ideas on how to scare big bucks out of the country.

Bird dogs?? Oh man, now you've done it - don't get me started!! Big game is just an opportunity to use the inside voice for a few days and get the legs primed for chasin' bird dogs!! It's on!

Yesterday:
PXL_20221106_211752127~3.jpg

PXL_20221106_212021961~2.jpg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom