Idaho Unit 27-5 Mountain Goat

MTQuivers

I found out I drew the unit 27-5 Mountain Goat tag for 2014. I am so excited. I realize that this can be a very difficult hunt but I am up for the challenge. Any one who has hunted this area of the Frank Church Wilderness I would love any help with areas to start looking and scouting. Any information would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Jason Yates
MTQuivers

I saw a huge goat in the southern part of that unit 3 years ago. Never drew the tag. Just go as high as you can. They like the rocky stuff. Good luck.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

I have looked at the southern part on google earth around Vanity Lakes and Soldier Lakes. Is that the area where you saw the goats? Is there a lake or peak you could name close by that I could take a look at. I a just trying to find a place to start my search. Any information is very much appreciated.

Jason Yates
http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com

Jason,

It's been some time since I was in there since we gave up on the FC elk hunt, but I've seen goats in Monumental Creek. No pack in required to boot. Good luck.

B

Awesome guys. Thanks for all the help. I have already started to get some areas to look at. Any info will be great. Has anyone been up by soldier lakes and are there any goats in that area? Looks like monumental creek is just outside of 27-5 according to Google Earth.

Jason Yates
MTQuivers

Just south of Soldier Lakes. I want to see a picture of it when you get it.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Thanks for the help everyone. Still needing any info anyone has. It is a long way to travel so any insight is much appreciated before my scouting trip. Anyone else seen goats in this unit just north of stanley idaho?

Jason Yates
MTQuivers

jason--i hunted sheep in unit 27-1--it is goat unit 27-5. idaho numbers each species unit different. let me know if you have any questions--jeff

So, Guess Who Drew this tag this year ? Yep, I'm the lucky one. Just wondering how your hunt went last year and if you can share some Pics ?

-The Real Moosie

Wtf?! You drew my tag! You better save me one. Just kidding. Just have fun and keep to the top rocky peaks. I expect to see some pics from you, even if you don't get one. I will be there in November if I don't get snowed out.

I think I drew "everyone's" tag. Stand in line if you're mad at me ;) Someone has to be the Schmuck everyone hates. Might as well be me.

I will have a lot of stories and pictures. It's been years since I've been on the forums. Good friends with Browtine from here and Brian L. that owns MM.com..... can "tolerate" me ;)

If anyones been out and has current info I'd appreciate it. I hunted 27-2 for Sheep and have helped many a people in that Unit. I love the BH CRAGS !!

I'll update you as it unfolds, thanks !

DeerLove, Appreciate it !! I figured it's been so many years since I came in here and "kicked trash" that no one would remember me. Dang forums even cleaned out my name since it's been so long. Fortunately no one stole my name. It has a bit of "history" (to me at least *wink*).

Since I sold Hunttalk I haven't been on any boards really. It's just a time thing now. Lots of life stuff going on with 5 kids.

I'll have to make the rounds though now on the boards to see who knows what about goats. Judging is going to be my downfall I'm guessing.

We've found time to put the hurt to the Elk and deer populations though still. More my kids than me. I thought about going into the Campfire section but I'll hide out in here focusing on Goats. I've wanted one for a long time so this is the year.

Hope all is well !

I just took the AK Goat test and Didn't pass it. I learned a lot. We'll see how it goes. I'll go out the first time in the next couple weeks. I'm going to hike in from the head of Pistol Cr. My next trip will be Soldier lakes.

They have lost about all their winter fur right now and are funny looking with short hair. With decent glass you will be able to see the nads on a Billy this month and next. I found that to be easier than trying to judge the horns or waiting for one to piss. Also the young billy's and nanny's seem to like to flick their tail and walk in a more playful manner.

The main ridge between Fall creek and Soldier lakes does have a Goat or two. The road to Josephus tends to get washed out during the August/September rains. The deadfall is also a problem, bring a saw. I scouted that area a couple years ago and the road washed out by September. The Beaver creek trail is a fast and easy way to get into Goat country for that part of the unit. It will get you into the headwaters of Fall creek in about 3-4 hours. About a quarter mile north of no name lake there is a point on the east side of the canyon that is all boulders. The bench's adjacent to the rock slides on both sides of the point are great Billy Goat habitat ;)

Here's a good Goat read;

http://eol.org/pages/328659/details

I don't know your Unit, but the good thing is based on my experience, it will take a lot to move a mature Billy from his home until breeding season, so if you find a good one, he will likely be within a few ridges of where you first find him when scouting. I find younger one's and Nannies move more.

A true old billy is, in my opinion, the best trophy, but won't necessarily have the longest horn. He will have the most mass, but most importantly he will be built much thicker and have those amazing shoulders that Nannies and younger billies don't.

Old billies also have an attitude that is hard to miss once you watch them for a while. They truely don't give a $hit. Almost felt bad shooting mine last year because he was such a bada$$.

>I don't know your Unit, but
>the good thing is based
>on my experience, it will
>take a lot to move
>a mature Billy from his
>home until breeding season, so
>if you find a good
>one, he will likely be
>within a few ridges of
>where you first find him
>when scouting. I find
>younger one's and Nannies move
>more.
>
>A true old billy is, in
>my opinion, the best trophy,
>but won't necessarily have the
>longest horn. He will
>have the most mass, but
>most importantly he will be
>built much thicker and have
>those amazing shoulders that Nannies
>and younger billies don't.
>
>Old billies also have an attitude
>that is hard to miss
>once you watch them for
>a while. They truely
>don't give a $hit.

^^^this is all true.

If you cant find a nice billy sit on the nannies and about the third week of October the big billy will start to check in on the nannies.

Great info Guys, Really appreciate it. I figure I'll find some goats. I'm going up the next couple months to spend a couple weekends to see what I can find. I'd rather have a Nice hair goat with shorter horns for a full body mount.

You says the hair is all short now. Do I take a chance and wait till the end of October with weather to get a nicer coat ?

Updates to follow !! thanks again Amigos .

>Great info Guys, Really appreciate it.
>I figure I'll find some
>goats. I'm going up the
>next couple months to spend
>a couple weekends to see
>what I can find. I'd
>rather have a Nice hair
>goat with shorter horns for
>a full body mount.
>
>You says the hair is all
>short now. Do I take
>a chance and wait till
>the end of October with
>weather to get a nicer
>coat ?
>
>Updates to follow !! thanks again
>Amigos .

I would wait for the coat but there is a balance there too. If you wait too late, the billies pee in the dirt and roll in it. their coats get brown and matted on the haunches and it can make it difficult on a taxi to work with that hair.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom