Idaho Unit 27 or 28

Alta

I am thinking about booking an OTC elk hunt to one of these units this year with an outfitter. The hunt would pack in on horses and be a true wilderness style hunt. I'm not after a "trophy" bull as some would define it but more a true wilderness style hunting experience and an opportunity at a mature bull. Does anybody have experience in these units and whether you would recommend them for what I am after?

Thanks

If you are going in with an outfitter, it should be a fun hunt. Just because its wilderness,don't go in thinking that there is a monster bull or buck hiding behind every tree. The herd numbers are low and the country is absolutely miserable, however it is incredibly satisfying to be in there.

Thanks - I'm under no illusion that there will be monsters everywhere (honestly shooting a monster is not my goal at all on this hunt). It also looks like the animals are much more sparse than other places but I'm hopeful that going with a reputable outfitter gives me a cool experience and an opportunity at a bull.

Thanks - I'm under no illusion that there will be monsters everywhere (honestly shooting a monster is not my goal at all on this hunt). It also looks like the animals are much more sparse than other places but I'm hopeful that going with a reputable outfitter gives me a cool experience and an opportunity at a bull.
The outfitters do pretty well back there. I don't have any experience in unit 28, but have spent quite a bit of time in 20A,26 and 27. Find a good outfitter and enjoy your trip!

I've hunted 28 a few times, but not the wilderness. Its definitely not my 1st choice for elk , but an outfitted hunt could be whole different story. It's beautiful country and if you've never heard wolves howling around 2 AM, you will in 28.

Just remember that the "trophy" is the experience in the river if no return and you will have a good time. If you drag out a 280 6 or, you'll know you earned it.

Did you book? Bighorn is pretty good. They hunt that country you’re talking. Don’t expect a trophy because they don’t take many but usually guys walk away with a good representative animal.

Yes, I did book. I'm set to go in Unit 28 and am really looking forward to the whole experience.

A promise is a promise just wait and see.
Homer he will be back when he draws another tag and needs help....I promise you!!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom