Idaho Unit 45 Elk

Ft487

My 13 year old son drew out for his first elk hunt in Unit 45 this year. Bull tag starts in Oct. I'm not super familiar with the area but I have been through it a time or two. My father grew up in Glenn's Ferry and he used to talk about Bennett from time to time. I know there's a ton of private and I don't want to get in any trouble. I mostly archery hunt 50 and 49 so private isnt much of an issue.. I do have onx and we have gone scouting once but didn't see anything. Any help would be great. He's super excited about this hunt and I'm trying to make the most of it. I have a fairly flexible work schedule so I'm hoping to put in the time and get him a good bull. Just not to big because I'm not interested in a head mount, haha. Thanks in advance, PM if you would like. I also have no problem giving out info on other places.

Update***
We hunted about 14 days and finally scored on a 6pt on 28th. Nothing huge but for his first bull he was happy and I was happy too because it was a much easier pack out. He made a really nice shot at 260 yard and took out both lungs and the top of the heart. The bull took one step and fell over. He was shooting a Tikka 300 short 165 Fed Prem Barnes TSX. I was very impressed with the performance of the bullet.
It was a much tougher hunt than I expected and I think the lack of weather really hurt us but we had a great time and got lucky. We saw elk early but around the middle of the month it dried up and we saw very few on public. I'm not sure what I think of the Unit. It defiantly has some nice bulls but it's tough to find them on public and access to public is limited. If you don't have access to some kind of Transportation bike, 4 wheeler, etc...I wouldn't even attempt to hunt this unit for Elk. We covered hundreds of miles on 4 wheelers and foot just to get it done. Also, the Elk are very nomadic in that Unit and don't seem to stick around in one area unless they are feeding in the fields or on private.

My son did a fantastic job of hunting. I took him through the ringer with sleeping in the truck, long rides, steep climbs and descents down mountains. He did all his homework on days off school and still made High Honor role. All while playing Flag football and 3 days of basketball every evening. He told me it was the hardest month of his life but it was worth it. He was defiantly tired but the kid was a rock star and I couldn't be prouder. We defiantly would not have been able to hunt this much but because of his school schedule of two days at school 3 online we were able do his home work on a Chromebook that I hot spotted from my phone. Crazy how technology works.
Anyways, good times and memories for life.

20201028_161807.jpg

Last edited:
Your boy looks very happy! Congrats to him on his marksmanship on a fine 6x6 and kudos to you dad for continuing to hunt hard so that he could be successful! Looks like you are going to be forking over some more money for some taxidermy work!

Horniac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom