Idaho Unit 76 late rifle tips?

RidgeRebel

Hey fellas,
I am working on my e-scouting plan for a tag I got really lucky on. I drew a late rifle (October 15th opener) for Unit 66A-1 which includes unit 76. I have looked into this unit a bit for archery but have not been able to get a tag so I threw in for a rifle tag and got lucky. I have been looking at the Gannet hills area near Wyoming. I was hoping someone may be willing to share some local info especially for the rifle season. Most info I can find is about the archery season. Thanks fellas.

Bob

I've had the early rifle tag twice and the late rifle take once (over the last 7 years). Just hunt it like you would for archery. For the late tag, my best advice would to steer clear of the deer hunters and assume they won't follow the OHV rules.

It'll be a fun hunt. Even during the late hunt they were bugling like crazy when I found them.

Personally, I would avoid 76 and stay in 66A myself. Two thirds of the people will be road hunting and the elk will be up in the steep and deep, watching them. Little too early for weather, but they will be ready to head North to winter range the next month.

Agree with Blank stay in 66A zone 76 is a fricken zoo….plus deer numbers over the past few years are way down from winter kills.
better chance at a better buck in 66A locals shoot everything meat hunting in 76, good luck post some pics…

North end on unit 76 off the tin cup highway is a great place to get back in away from the crowds. 66a along the northern is a great place also
Don’t rule out 76 tho there is plenty of places to go into and kill a nice bull. Good luck

Tin Cup is on my radar for sure, it looks pretty good to me.
Thank you for the info fellas. I am starting to get some areas worked out. I will keep you posted.

I don't think it is the elk, but maybe the sheep. Been a about 5 years, but when I hunted it the 5 or 6 years that I did, there were a lot of sheep in both units.

You have the chance to run into elk on every inch of both units. Hunt the cow herds if you are ok with a mediocre bull since they will still be hanging with the ladies. The bigger bulls will be moved off from the cows and resting up from the rut.

Just a general question for the group: do you still see jokers breaking the ATV rules in these units? I want to have faith that I can out hike the road hunters, but I can’t get away from ATVs unfortunately.

Yes they will break the rules. You will have camped in there only to hear the drone of quads and side by sides right at prime time. Especially during the deer hunt. Many will day hunt on their ATVs while staying in their comfy campers or big base camps...rather than riding in and camping per rules. I’ve turned in many as they’ve screwed up several opportunities. Really sucks to see them even bringing in kids and passing on the tradition.

The year they pissed me off the most I killed a great bull after being forced to relocate to a new area for the late rifle tag. New spot was a 5 mile ATV and didn’t have an issue there. Not a problem for the early tag no matter what.
14FD97A1-8EFA-45FA-B6EF-55A638C6EC68.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom