Ideal Kinetic Energy????

quickdrawkinker

does anybody know the rule of thumb as to what the desired amount of Kinetic energy is. I shoot a fairly light arrow + broadhead combination--Gold Tip arrows with 75 grain Rocket Ultimate steel heads and it equates to a Kinetic energy score of 59.95....I know I've got to be on the low end, but what is ideal?

Not sure on that, but I do know you want at least 5Grains per Pound In otherwords if you are shooting 65# bow than your total arrow weight with the tip should be at least 325 grains.. or you wont have enough energy out at 40 yards to do you anygood!

I just did a search on the net and it looks like it is 40lbs for deer and at least 50lbs for elk. The 50lbs for elk is because the shots are often longer than on deer.

I've shot a number of bulls with 50-60lbs of KE. Got pass throughs on most. I used 550 grain arrows with Zwickey Deltas, shaving sharp. You are developing plenty of KE, pick a head that penetrates easily.

60 ft/lbs KE is plenty. It's more about having your arrows flying perfectly inline than it is about KE. If they are right in column as they hit a stationary animal, you will have plenty of penetration.

I've had plenty of pass throughs with 50 ft/lbs of KE. One pass through hit a rock behind the deer and then flew another 30 yards out into a lake. Another pass through, clipped a sage brush and sailed an unknown distance over this little knoll, never to be found again. All with 400 grain arrows at 235 fps.

I've put a 100 grain muzzy through the front shoulder/leg bone of a little 4x4 buck. Had another go 10" into a small buck right through the shoulder/leg bone with 50 ft/lbs of KE.

A true flying arrow placed in the boiler room at virtually any KE will do the job perfectly. In otherwords, your near 60 is way more than enough :)

Cheers,
Pete

Waht you have there will work. I know because mine was only around 56 ft/lbs of kenetic energy. I shot a 2x3 (for meat) quartering to me at 42 yards this year. I hit just left of where i aimed and hit him right in the brisket. The arrow went clear through him and came out 2 ribs from the back and stuck in the hill past him. Then i shot a cow later on hitting her farther back in the ribs than i wanted but it killed her to. Used crimson talon fixed-blade broadheads on both of them. Kind of spendy but well worth the money in my book.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom