If It's Brown...It's Down!

UGAhunter

[p][p align=right]Thread Views Counter....[/p]

Well I struck gold and will be embarking on my dream Idaho big game hunt! I drew a moose tag and will hunt him concurrently with an elk, deer, bear, cougar, and wolf tags in hand. Lots of scouting and hunting in my near future, after I get spring bear hunting out of the way!

I'll continue to fatten this feller up and then try and put him on the ground in late October, after I deal with the moose.

[IMG]http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos2/1204wgi_1171.jpg
4587wgi_1954.jpg

Well, it looks like I drew a Wyoming antelope hunt too! I hope I can pull a repeat of my 2011 hunt, that was a good time! Here are some pics of that hunt 3 years ago.

9225ivan_antelope_2.jpg

8503ivan_antelope_5.jpg

I'll try to pull away from the Moose hunting long enough to put the Speedgoat in the freezer.

Antelope Down

I took my wife with me to Wyoming to take care of the antelope tag. After I missed a really nice buck tending about 20 does, I took my frustration out on this average buck. I spotted him 550 yards out bedded overlooking a water hole. I put my sneak on, and closed the gap to 201 yards. With my wife watching from the lookout, I shot him with the 60g bullet from the 22-250. He jumped up, walked two steps, and then took his dirt nap.

9118ivan_antelope_1.jpg

1422ivan_antelope_3.jpg

I've spent about 5 days chasing elk and trying to find some moose, but it has been challenging! This weekend I will take my son and try to get him a shot at a bull elk, while keeping an eye open for a moose!

Moose nowhere to be found, so lets go elk hunting

With moose hunting really sucky, I took a few days to go with my Nephew and his wife on her rifle elk hunt. We had a great time, and saw a lot of really nice bulls. On the fourth morning of her hunt, she sneaked in and put the smack down on this fine bull. About a 300 yard shot with her .308, and he went right down. The whole family spent the day packing this bull out. Being 5 months pregnant, well done Steph!

6753steph1.jpg

6111steph2.jpg

Time to deer hunt

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-14 AT 09:58AM (MST)[p]Again, the moose hunting really sucks in my area. I have only seen a couple of non-shooter bulls and a handfull of cows in weeks of hunting! The Idaho deer hunt opened on Oct 10, so I planned to take the week off from moose hunting and take the kids out for a buck.

I went up to my usual spot that has treated me very well over the years. My wife, daughter, son and myself had tags. I positioned Jenn with our daughter in a saddle just a few hundred yards from my spot, where I sat with Ethan, who was on his first hunt at 12 years old.

Not long after first light I saw a real nice 3-point heading toward us. His path of travel led me to think he would pass by my daughter's position. I waited patiently for the shot. She would be shooting her mother's 30.06 with Remington reduced recoil 130g shells. After 15 or so minutes I heard a shot, but thought it was another hunter stationed on the other side of me, away from Emily. I was disappointed she never got a shot, and wondered where the buck had gone?

Soon a small two point came past us. Ethan declined to even scope him up. Then a big 2-point came along. "Uh...No!" he said, dismissing the opportunity to shoot his first buck. Not long after that, a small bachelor heard of bucks came through. I put up the glass, and only made it to buck number 2, when I said "the second buck is a shooter." Ethan had a dead rest across the tripod/spotter. "I see him", he responded just seconds before they stopped, and he took the shot with the .308. BOOM! The buck turned down away from the other bucks and swayed back and forth as he bounded off over the hill and out of sight. I knew he was hit. "That's a dead deer" I proclaimed. After a short wait, we left our nest and went up to look for the dead deer.

As we approached the area I though he would be in, I looked back and saw my wife and daughter walking toward us. I looked through the glass and saw Jenn giving me the thumbs up, while Emily held her arms out like antlers signifying it was a nice buck. I thought to myself, I know it was nice, and they must have seen him fall. When they got closer, I asked if the saw him fall. Jenn replied "Yes, he fell right where SHE shot him!" She shot", I asked.

"Yes, Emily shot a buck...it's nice!" she clarified. Yep, the shot I heard was her putting the death to the 3-point. Ethan too had a buck. What a great morning. I took the rest of the weekend to relax! I didn't feel the need to get my own deer after having this experience.

2492ethan_deer.jpg

7653emily.jpg

4188kids_deer.jpg

Monday was a holiday so I went to look for moose. We saw one spike bull and 3 cows. Where in the hell is a mature bull in my unit???? I don't think there are any!

RE: Antelope Down

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-14 AT 10:00AM (MST)[p]My wife has an antelope tag in central ID. We had spent one day up there earlier, but couldn't close the deal. She and I took a couple of days off work and headed up there after the last morning of my deer hunt. We started hunting about 1:00 pm. That's one reason I love antelope hunting. You can hunt em all day long! After a couple failed stalks, she finally hammered this nice buck at 200 yards with her 30.06. We had a real nice time, and were back home by 10:00 pm.

4314jenn_antelope.jpg

Now about all I have left is a bear and moose tag. I'm heading out this weekend to get them both taken care of. Wish me luck on the moose...I sure need some. If anyone has seen a nice bull in 76-3, don't be shy, please let me know where.

More moose hunting

Holy crap! I am not having much success finding a mature bull moose! I have now spent 35 days in the field moose hunting. I have seen a handful of small bulls, but nothing worthy of the tag. I took my youngest boy out the other day and we had a real good time. We saw 5 moose, including this one-antlered bull. It was a beautiful day to be out.

7200hunt_1.jpg

7287hunt_2.jpg

4672hunt_3.jpg

This hunt is really starting to wear my down, but I am hoping this big winter storm moving through might mix things up a bit. I don't know. I have about another week left. I hope the moose gods will start to look kindly on my efforts.

Not much brown going down

Not much action other than burning fuel, tires and food!

Ethan and I saw some sweet beaver dams, including this huge one! This thing was 10 foot tall and 50 feet wide.

86321107141508.jpg

35th day hunting, snow and cold finally came but we still couldn't find any nice bulls x(

7351115141353a.jpg

17601115141404.jpg

Five days left, but I don't have much ambition anymore!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom