If yer gonna shoot it....

DW

Long Time Member
......have a plan to get it out, or bring a knife and fork! These quarters sat there for 3 days before I pulled them out late the last day of the season.

20211020_153713.jpg

As long as the meat got cold who cares!!
All good!

It did, but I picked it up on my last trip out, on the last day. They weren't comin back, they ran out of gas packin out the hinds and the backstraps. Got a donation tag for my efforts, rather it went to a needy local family with 2 elk in my coolers, but here I am......but I agree with your sentiments.

It did, but I picked it up on my last trip out, on the last day. They weren't comin back, they ran out of gas packin out the hinds and the backstraps. Got a donation tag for my efforts, rather it went to a needy local family with 2 elk in my coolers, but here I am......but I agree with your sentiments.
I misread your original post. My bad!
Good on you! I would have done the same thing. People do not realize how much work an elk is and those people that do sh!t like that need to stay home on the couch where they belong!

Nice work DW. Surprised the snow melted ?
It could be they lost track of their meat,? but. Probably a scummer that ran out of gas.
Congrats on your bull sir. Nice meat pole

Hello DW,
I assume you never did find out who left the elk quarters?
Seems odd they would go to the trouble of cutting them up, wrapping them in game bags, then leave them on the ground & not return???

Back in 1998, we helped a guy (we met on the mountain) find & cut up a raghorn bull he had shot across a very nasty canyon (Between Long Point & Kelso Mesa) up on the Uncomphagre in western Colorado. It was getting late in the afternoon by the time we were ready to start packing and he decided to just hang the quarters in some Aspens and come back the next day with his buddies from his camp. He said they had horses and it would be easier for everybody.
No argument from me!
We never saw the guy again. We went back over on the last day of the hunt to see if he packed that elk out. As far as we could tell from the tracks, the only thing that got to that elk after we left it was a bear & the magpies.
We reported it to the Game Warden but we never got the guys full name or even what vehicle he was in.

No, never saw anyone near em. Like I said, I think they were gased after packin the hinds and backstraps. That country gets greasy after a few inches of wet snow, and it's a steep, long climb out. The horses pound the trail and it's ankle breakin frozen cobble in the am. There's a for hire outfitter camped at the trailhead. No excuse really.

Good on you for taking it. Why someone would take the time to quarter and bag is beyond me. One of the first things I learned was don’t shoot if you can’t pack it out.

I know many people that will leave quarters till the next weekend to get them if it’s cold out. But they hang them in the trees and usually put a tarp over them.

Would love to know the story. Maybe the guy got hurt? Maybe he has a Utah education and can’t count? Maybe he couldn’t find his way back?

Would love to know the story.

Me too.

Maybe the guy got hurt?

Maybe.

Maybe he has a Utah education and can’t count?

Maybe he couldn’t find his way back?

They were 3ft off a well beaten horse trail.

2 miles and plenty of elevation gain to the trailhead on a greasy horse trail is what leads me to believe he was gased. But I'll never know. There was also a backpack that looked loaded with gear a mile up the trail, I didn't stop to check it out. Related, or a different gased individual? Maybe bears got em both??‍♂️

Likely those quarters belong to this guy:

You know, if I was that guy I might be a little mad. He wasn’t lost. And good on him for turning the damn phone off.

I think ss is right, there’s some poor bewildered guy up there going round and round trying to find his meat.:ROFLMAO:

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom