If you could only hunt one?

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
So, if all the rules changed and you could only hunt your home state and could only pick one critter, and you had to choose a sex even, what would you hunt? For the sake of this exercise, let's assume Trophy Species is not an every year option, but I'd imagine you could say, I'd only put in for X Trophy Species, and hunt if I drew.

Me, I mostly lust after mature mule deer bucks, but if I could only hunt one today, I'd probably go with WT Bucks, because that is one I have not harvested worthy of a mount. They also eat great, and I can hunt into late Nov. I'm also not as spry as I once was, and big MD, particularly in OTC units take a lot of vertical a day. Elk, are tasty, but a ***** once down.

So, if all the rules changed and you could only hunt your home state and could only pick one critter, and you had to choose a sex even, what would you hunt? For the sake of this exercise, let's assume Trophy Species is not an every year option, but I'd imagine you could say, I'd only put in for X Trophy Species, and hunt if I drew.

Me, I mostly lust after mature mule deer bucks, but if I could only hunt one today, I'd probably go with WT Bucks, because that is one I have not harvested worthy of a mount. They also eat great, and I can hunt into late Nov. I'm also not as spry as I once was, and big MD, particularly in OTC units take a lot of vertical a day. Elk, are tasty, but a ***** once down.
mule deer

No brainer for me, Chukars for sure.
But no doubt I'd miss the big game hunts.
03090D29-FB3F-49D6-99EF-234193DD703C.png

Last edited:
Sheep!
Any old ram, any color (I’m not racist) any terrain.
If only I could have one tag per year....but they’re too rare for us to do that so I suppose it’s a wasted vote.

Zeke

Hard to admit it, but if I could only pick one to chase each year for the rest of my life, would probably be whitetail bucks. I love mule deer and mule deer hunting, but only choose to chase them about one of every five years, as I don't think the herds in southern ID can handle the pressure we put on them.

Whitetails eat great, and I think I enjoy hunting rutting whitetail bucks more than bugling in bulls in September. Something about those bitter cold mornings...

as silly as it sounds if we were truly limited id hunt coyotes. i love calling more and more every year. look forward to it more then big game

Oh good your girlfriend showed up. Imagine that. Hey coop, does SS know you have an unhealthy infatuation with me that borders on stalking? Tell him why you were really banned. Carful though, little fella seems like the jealous type. Hate for you to lose your butt buddy

It wasn’t for going full jr high girl and searching threads weeks old buried pages deep just to comment on every thread one guy posted on right? Yeah, not stalkery at all. I’m not sure where your basement is but I’m positive your mom lives upstairs from it and your probably putting lip stick on as your reading this.

So glad we don't have to choose, though I got used to hunting both MD and WT ea year in ID, and now I may have to choose.

If in this scenario only general units are allowed, I’d choose whiteys. If it’s a dream scenario that lets me into the controlled units, Muleys by a mile.
General mule deer is in the shitter these days.

I'm a die-hard Wyo pronghorn junky. Here in Colo I would choose bighorn but moose would also be tops because Colo has such awesome bulls. My top pick of all time would be white sheep in Alaska! Oops, that's 4 different critters in 3 states? It's hard to pick just one!

I'm a die-hard Wyo pronghorn junky. Here in Colo I would choose bighorn but moose would also be tops because Colo has such awesome bulls. My top pick of all time would be white sheep in Alaska! Oops, that's 4 different critters in 3 states? It's hard to pick just one!
Stick to the rules, that's the fun part, making you choose. No one in their right mind would pick just one!

If cottontails were at the numbers as jackrabbits. It's hard to beat a good pan baked hasenpfeffer. But elk would be just as good... fills the freezer faster.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom