If you didn't score (a reminder)

R

RandyWeaver

Just a reminder for you bowhunters who didn't score in rifle season: now is the very best time to bowhunt Coues deer. The bucks should be tending hot does, so get out and check your best spots - and don't be surprised if you see GOOD bucks you've never seen before. What about it DeerKing?

Venado muy grande!

Hey Randy,

Nice to hear from you again. Where have you been? There is something weird going on hear in NM. Either the ruts late or it's over where I hunt. No scrapes, rubs. I saw a nice 3 point on opening day, didn't show any sign of rutting. ???????

Anyway I'm headed out again tomorrow. Hopefully things will pick up.

The deer were not rutting in the area of Sonora I hunted. Seems like they just hadnt started. The rancher said it was a late year, and the deer had not rutted before I got there, so keep up hope Crazy, they will kick in..... Allen Taylor......

if any one would be kind enough to let a teenager to tag a long with a bow and a tag in his hand let me know. i always have a hard time getting my dad to take me and i dont think he will let me go by myself but if anyone will take me let me know i will me the work horse. and would be very happy.
casey

Greetings all: I've been working in Washington, DC. I'm detailed to the Office of Homeland Security, so I haven't had time to stay on top of things on MM (or hunt, for that matter). As for the rut, I hear from some of my friends that deer numbers have been declining. Although I have no first-hand evidence of that, if true, it would lead to a less visible rut. Find pockets of does and look for activity. Just FYI, in my experience, it's not uncommon to find a canyon or area where does are coming into heat, while the next canyon or an adjacent area shows no activity at all.

Randy, thanks for the info. Man you are a wealth of information. I'm heading out Thursday for a 3 day pack trip with the goats in unit 27 with the bow to see what I can scrounge up. Thanks again for your expertise and keep up the good work and your efforts to make this country safer.

Scott

Casey, I think he'll go in the mid to upper 80's. I may put the tape to him in the next day or so.

Scott

Randy
Just pulled in from the 14 hour drive, deerless. You wouldn't believe all the people there this year, and vehicle access to the once undriveable country, trucks and 4-wheelers. You know where I'm talking about I think. What a dissapointment. Anyway, the deer appeared to be just coming into the rut or maybe it was just ending, the bucks weren't to interested in the does. One afternoon I spotted what I thought was a nice buck bedded below a rock outcropping. I put on a 1.5 hour stalk to get above him. I peeked over the ledge and he was still there, at 18 yards almost right below me. Drew back and held on him for 20 seconds, trying to talk myself into taking him, but he would've only scored in the low 70's, wouldnt make my goal of 80. Later that afternoon I walked up on a small 3x3 to within 10-15 yards. Again to small. That was about it, wished I could've stayed longer. I'll call ya after a little siesta.......
Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom