Illegal to pickup DeadHeads

Iddogguy

Post pictures of deadheads you’ve left because it’s illegal in that state to posses.

9DA95642-877F-41D4-A848-49255DD57F37.jpeg

D1E30854-80A7-47B2-B613-E416FFE4BB73.jpeg

Please list states that forbid dead head pick up , Colorado, Idaho, Montana allowing it right now , one of the few things NR folks can do on public land

Please list states that forbid dead head pick up , Colorado, Idaho, Montana allowing it right now , one of the few things NR folks can do on public land
National Parks, Wildlife Refuges, Nevada, Wyoming & Montana Sheep. Things have changed a lot since I done it. Could be different now. Most of the rules were implemented because of bad behavior! Sometimes people just can’t control their self!

The one on the ground was one of the few I’ve left and not got back, I report most of the nicer ones I find and have yet to have a bad experience with the UDWR with getting them back. The big one I’m holding so far is my biggest Ive found yet!

BA4FED25-6555-4447-932A-AC6A68345691.jpeg

43B8762D-522A-4D4A-A3F1-FCC0EFA2641A.jpeg

Well, on the Sand Creek winter range in Idaho. That’s where the first restriction for horn hunting was implemented. With a May 1st starting date. It was implemented because guys were running elk down with snowmobiles and knocking there horns off with baseball bats, not sure how that would be to much Government?
Is there any actual evidence of this?

Yes, that happened many years ago. That’s why it was closed to human presence till may 1st.
Well, let’s see it.

I know 3 people who have died on snowmobile’s. One of them drowned riding it across a lake. My nieghbor rode his over his 8:12 pitch cabin roof.

I am familiar with what rednecks on snowmobiles do.

I have NEVER seen any proof of someone wrangling an elk off of a snow machine.

Well, let’s see it.

I know 3 people who have died on snowmobile’s. One of them drowned riding it across a lake. My nieghbor rode his over his 8:12 pitch cabin roof.

I am familiar with what rednecks on snowmobiles do.

I have NEVER seen any proof of someone wrangling an elk off of a snow machine.

Not exactly what you wanted, but people do stupid chit!!! I’ll try to locate an article about St. Anthony Sand Creek.

That same urban legend of snowmobilers chasing down deer and knocking antlers off with baseball bats was used in Wyo to justify shed seasons and winter range closures. Wonder if its the same guys? The whole thing sounds like BS to me.

That same urban legend of snowmobilers chasing down deer and knocking antlers off with baseball bats was used in Wyo to justify shed seasons and winter range closures. Wonder if its the same guys? The whole thing sounds like BS to me.
Yep it is. Never been done.

Yes, that happened many years ago. That’s why it was closed to human presence till may 1st.
Urban legend, but at least partially true, but not ever documented as 100% true. There was way too much human presence in the winter area, and stressing and impacting the local deer/elk/moose was an issue. IDFG and BLM were concerned even then with the impacts. That area has been informally restricted and closed since the early to mid-1970's, and they (people) did run around with snowmobiles. When I moved here in 1976, all of our friends were the BLM and Idaho Dept of Lands range-cons and biologists for that area. Everything from Egin-Hamer, Big and Little Grassy, Camas, and Medicine Lodge. I have spent many hours listening to all their discussions and stories.

Formal boundaries were established in the 80's, leading up to the 1987 EIS which established the permanent right-of-way for the all weather Egin-Hamer road to be built. Before that, it was a crappy two track for about 10-15 miles in the middle, and the counties (Madison and Fremont) wanted to improve it. The approved Alternative D decided by State Director Delmar Vail was to allow the right-of-way that was requested, but have the road closed across the area from Dec 1st until March 31st. Everyone agreed, at least then.

In 1997, we had had some minimal winters before, the animals hadn't come down that far south as much, and the county commissioners came back and petitioned to get the road open all year long, instead of seasonally. In doing all the EIS bulls*t again, they decided that the road could be open, if they kept the areas divided and closed. They also moved the closure start from Dec 1 to Jan 1. The map and restrictions, as they are now, have been the same since they were established, approved, and published in the Federal Register in 1998.

You'll get no argument from me that some people are dipchits and some of those dipchits ride snowmobiles. The part about the baseball bats is what I always thought was BS.

Well, on the Sand Creek winter range in Idaho. That’s where the first restriction for horn hunting was implemented. With a May 1st starting date. It was implemented because guys were running elk down with snowmobiles and knocking there horns off with baseball bats, not sure how that would be to much Government?
Same logic applies to banning guns.

Some kook shoots up a school so take away guns from everyone.

Some kook bats off an antler on a snow machine. Don't let people walk in the woods and look for dead things.

I found this last week. I may or may not have left it. Crazy junk all over the bases and reverse eye guards.

IMG_20220310_192730_331.jpg

The only part that I said wasn't proven was the baseball bat portion. I'm well aware of all the abuse and harassment that went on, and have gotten in many heated arguments with former friends from the Upper Valley that think it's their "right" to do as they please in the winter. I have watched them chase them to get them to jump fences and "fall off" naturally on Tex Creek and the Fall Creek areas also.

It's called punishing everyone because of a few bad apple's.
Govt couldnt stop the few so they made a law that affects everyone.
Thats too much Govt.
Punish the criminals only.

Elk have been wrangled off of snowmobiles. I don't know about the baseball bats. There have always been laws against that kind of thing. No need to pass more laws that only affect the law abiding.​

COWBOY GETS LITTLE TIRED OF CHASING ONLY HORSES​

By George Diaz of The Sentinel Staff
Orlando Sentinel

Feb 09, 1995 at 12:00 am

From the "Mommas, don't let your babies grow up to be Cowboys" dept.:
Ty Murray, a six-time reigning world champion all-around rodeo cowboy, has been ticketed for chasing an elk with a snowmobile and then sitting on the animal.

Photographs in possession of the wildlife division district manager in Hot Sulphur Springs, Colo., show Murray next to a cow elk. The evidence was seized from the home of rancher Jodi Hill, who was the focus of a two-year poaching investigation.
"He is sitting on top of, or to the side of, a cow elk that is lying down," Robert P. Thompson, wildlife division district manager in Hot Sulphur Springs, told reporters. "I had anonymous informants tell me they were bulldogging elk."

I’ve seen pics of the walking dead ones and such. And there’s plenty enough “domesticated “ elk around to make all the fake news you want.

But I’m talking about dudes riding up and knocking the horns off of wild freakin elk on the winter range to get the sheds. I’m still skeptical.

Bluehair said: But I’m talking about dudes riding up and knocking the horns off of wild freakin elk on the winter range to get the sheds. I’m still skeptical.

I am also skeptical. I've frequently heard people accuse shed hunters of all sorts of outrageous activity. I think most of it is made up and then repeated over and over again. In reality shed hunters usually don't even approach antlered animals because they don't want them to shed somewhere else.

Not calling you out, just skeptical.

Russians take redneck to whole different level.
I’m with you, I have heard the same stories repeated in Co to justify the May 1 date… but instead of snow machines I heard dirt bikes and Atv’s. Spent lots of time in the outdoors…. Not saying it doesn’t happen but I’ve never seen it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom