I'M JAZZED....SF Giants new ........pitcher

R

RACKMASTER

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-06 AT 07:34PM (MST)[p]7 YEARS, 125 MILLON $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
GIANTS JUST GOT A NEW PITCHER..
BARRY ZITO!
we can use him!
just happy about that....hell of Christmas present!
I did not think the GIANTS had the balls to do it....
so happy the did not go after the "big unit" Randy Johnson.
Happy New Year!
rackmaster

Barry will be paying for it for sure....
Bonds will still have people paying to see him catch ARRON
(even with all those pokes in booty)!
everything now and days seem to have conversely!
I am still a Giants fan with that comes Barry! either love him or hate him! I want to keep him good, bad, right or wrong!
jack

Aaaaaaa.....did you mean Barry Zito? LOL! I'm sure you did! Great addition! With Schmidt going to L.A. we need somebody. It'll be fun, can't wait!

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-06 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]what????????????
I FEEL SILLY! the Big Unit may still happen...crap!
RM

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-06 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]RACK,

Think about it. With Matt Cain, Matt Morris, and Noah Lowry, and Johnathan Sanchez. And now Barry Zito, who needs a "has been" like Randy Johnson?

Hey, remember when Randy Johnson killed that dove while pitching to the Giants in Spring training a few years ago? A big puff of feathers.....one dead dove!

The first one was wrong. Try this.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/news/2001/0325/1161522.html

Eel

I'm jazzed that we got Zito, but bummed that Jason Schmidt is gone :-(. That would have been a sweet 1,2, punch. I'm also glad that BB will get the chance to break the record in a Giants uniform.

I think Matt Cain could break out this year and be a 20 game winner. Zito/Cain is a pretty good 1-2 punch, and Jason isn't nearly the pitcher he was 3 years ago.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-07 AT 07:55PM (MST)[p] THE GIANTS ARE 2 SOLID BATS, & 2 SOLID PITCHERS AWAY FROM ANY SHOT AT A WORLD SERIES. PENDING BARRYS PRODUCTION, & ANY INJURIES. ITS TOUGH OUT THERE, YD.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-07 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]Bats are good if Aurilla, Durham, and Klesko don't slump offen!
We even have some speed to a point with Winn and a few other!
who's are closier? Worrell? Benitez? Kline?
Overall I like the Roster!
Rackmaster

I'm a baseball fanatic, not necessarily a Giant fan however have been to a game at the new park. Klesko hasn't been the same since the shoulder injury, Durham was on a contract year last year and he should go back to his normal form. They need team speed, hitting the 3 run homer in a ballpark like that doesn't bode well. Lost Alou's clutch bat (no speed there either).There pitching will be fine, Noah Lowry is a good pitcher and is going to get better with time to go along with the others mentioned, the bullpen is shaky though and the closer issue has to be addressed. If a guy 40 years plus (vizquel) is the fastest guy on your team you are going to struggle to score runs in bunches. They need some team speed.

LostinOregon, you're not quite right on with your analysis, I think. First, they have some speed with the addition of Dave Roberts, he stole 39 bags last year. While they don't have a lot of team speed, Roberts, Vizquel and Winn give them the ability to run if that is what Bochy decides to do. Alou never used the speed he had, though there wasn't that much of it. I think you'll also see a better bullpen than a lot of people are expecting, but I doubt that Benitez will be a major part of it, I sure hope not. They have some quality relievers, but they're all pretty young guys. Kevin Correia has great stuff and should see a lot of innings, Brian Wilson may fit into the closer's role, or setup. Jack Taschner is another with good stuff, and who gained some experience last year. When you combine them with Steve Kline and Tim Worrell, they should do OK. Who knows what will happed with Benitez? For his sake, and the club's, lets hope some type of trade can be worked out. One key to the bullpen's success will be that Bruce Bochy will probably use it more intelligently than Alou did. He was very set in his ways, and didn't adapt to situations like he could, or should, have

The Giants should compete well in the west in 2007, with the usual "barring any major injuries" comment.

By the way, if you don't already know...Randy Johnson is an Arizona Diamondback again. The D'backs traded three very good prospects to get him. They probably gave up too much to get him, but its a done deal, pending RJ passing his physical.

CAelknuts,

It is good to see someone with some baseball knowledge. Winn and Roberts are speedy but old, Roberts goes down every year and Winn is a less than average outfielder. Bochy gets more from average talent than most and your right about Alou, he never changed. I just don't see the go to guy in that lineup. If they do get a solid bullpen they will be alright but Kline and Worrell are also old and have some mileage. The Diamondbacks are loaded with prospects, they could afford to give up a few. They have Carlos Gonzalez, Stephen Drew to name a few that are going to play this year. They are young talented and good. I see them winning the division in the next few years. I wish the season started today, and good luck to your Giants.

Rich

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-07 AT 07:41AM (MST)[p]I'm hoping Bengie Molina will be a confidence builder for our young pitching staff. Plus add a little offense at the plate. It doesn't sound like Matheney (sp) is going to be ready.

I'm also glad to see Alou go. I liked him as a player but not as a manager. That tells MY age. LOL!

I heard Jose Uribe was killed in an automobile accident over the winter. Very sad. I have a used Jose Uribe bat that my daughter bought for me at a Giants Dugout Store years ago. Oooooooooribe! LOL!

Eel

I'm lucky enough to get a first hand look at the 2007 Giants. For Christmas my wife gave me a trip to Scottsdale in March, we are going to some spring training games and play golf.

eelgrass, don't expect Matheny to ever come back. He might, but it is extremely doubtful. My son had to have Tommy John surgery in September, and his sugreon is the same guy who's the Giants team orthopedic surgeon. Last time we were down in SF for a follow-up visit, we were talking about the Giants, and he told us that he's pretty sure that Matheny will call it a career. That's too bad, as he's one of the best defensive catchers to come along in many years. According to the doc, he's an even better person, class act in every sense of the word. My son, who's a catcher, considered Matheny as his favorite catcher to watch due to his defense.

The Giants are an interesting work in progress. Aurilia moving over to first base pretty much full time will be interesting. Thankfully, he was a good shortstop with additional experience at 3rd, so the transition shouldn't be that tough for him. Klesko will be a big question mark, but if he's healthy and hits well, their lineup just got some important protection behind Bonds. IF, and it is a big IF, Durham stays healthy and puts up another solid year, look out. Molina will be an upgrade behind the dish, though Alfonzo did well last year when he stepped in. His shortcoming is that his defense isn't up to par for the big league level. This club has an interesting mix of young and older players, more so than last year for sure. Expect Feliz to have a more consistent year than last year, he's capable of putting up better numbers than he did after the break. Barring injuries, Barry will be Barry and that's plenty good enough. Their starting pitching should be their strong point, as Morris and Lowry are coming off years when they both pitched with injuries that hindered them significantly last season. If they don't suffer any injuries to their starting rotation, look out.

Yeah, the D'backs will be good too this year. Carlos Quinton, Stephen Drew, Chad Tracy and Conor Jackson; as well as a several other young players with high ceilings like Scott Hairston give them a nice lineup. Pitching will be their challenge, even though Brandon Webb won the Cy Young and throws the sinker from hell. They don't have enough pitching depth to go far unless some guys step up bigtime and no injuries. THAT is a club with bullpen needs, more than the Giants.

Dodgers suck and we will walk all over them!
We will still win the division!
You keep talking about D'back's....Who?
You read like an sport article........
have fun in az.
its going to be fun and I like to say I said so...jack

larrbo, my brother goes to Spring Training every year. He met his current wife there two years ago. A lady who works in the front office of the A's. They had dinner with Peter Magowan one evening before they were married.

Just an interesting side note! LOL!

Eel

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom