Inflation already Starting

NeMont

Long Time Member
Wholesale inflation takes biggest jump in 6 months
Wholesale inflation jumps by largest amount in 6 months, reflecting higher energy costs
Martin Crutsinger, AP Economics Writer
Thursday February 19, 2009, 8:53 am EST
Yahoo! Buzz Print WASHINGTON (AP) -- Inflation at the wholesale level surged unexpectedly in January, reflecting sharply higher prices for gasoline and other energy products.

The Labor Department said Thursday that wholesale prices increased by 0.8 percent last month, the biggest gain since last July and well above the 0.2 percent increase that economists had expected.

The acceleration was led by a 3.7 percent surge in energy prices with gasoline prices jumping by 15 percent, the biggest gain in 14 months.

Even outside the volatile food and energy sectors, wholesale prices showed a bigger-than-expected increase, rising by 0.4 percent. Economists had expected a slight 0.1 percent rise in so-called core inflation.

Food prices were well-behaved last month, falling for a second straight month. The 0.4 percent decline in January reflected lower costs for beef and dairy products which offset gains in the price of vegetables and chicken products.

In addition to the big jump in gasoline costs, prices for home heating oil were up by 5.4 percent and liquefied petroleum gas, which is often used to heat homes in rural areas, surged by 20.2 percent, the biggest jump in more than six years.

Outside of food and energy, there were increases for pharmaceuticals, light trucks and passenger cars and civilian aircraft.

Despite the big jump in wholesale prices in January, economists do not believe inflation is on the verge of becoming a problem, given the country's deep recession.

That downturn, which began in December 2007, has been keeping a lid on inflation pressures, which has given the Federal Reserve the room to slash a key interest rate to nearly zero without having to worry about kindling inflation.

Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke told an audience at the National Press Club on Wednesday that he saw little risk that the Fed's efforts to fight the recession and a severe financial crisis would trigger inflation presusres.

He said that once the economy begins to rebound and financial markets stabilize, the Fed will be able to quickly reverse the actions it has taken before inflation becomes a problem

That must be new old news. everything I'm pricing for this year is down except labor and electricity. the only reason labor isn't down is the higher minimum wage, for businesses paying more than minimum wage or hiring contractors I bet labor cost are down in some cases.

I expect inflation, but not until the depression has bottomed.

It is dated Feb. 19th 2009.

Inflation is a result of the exploding money supply. You can have Stagflation.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-09 AT 08:02PM (MST)[p]Like I said I'm not seeing it, I bought 9800 gallons of diesel laid in for $1.31 yesterday, my fertilizer quotes are not much more than half what they were last year, my tire dealer said tire prices are falling, steel prices are down so the pallet of disk blades I ordered are about 35% lower than what I was quoted last spring and what I'm going to get for my crops is down at least 40% which means cheaper food for everyone.

Where am I supposed to find this inflation? maybe I'm in the right biz or something but I can't believe I'm that lucky. like I said, maybe that is new old news.

I expect inflation in due time, I'm seeing deflation at the moment.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom