INTERESTING

So this is the kind of thing the increased fees will be going to? Opinion polls and social satisfaction models? How about constructing water sources, removing invasives, protecting migration corridors, restoring illegal roads and trails, obtaining more properties or public access, controlling predators, and managing for increased game carrying capacity. Doing that already? Great! Do more of it!

The mule deer herds are struggling in Idaho. We need a decrease on the take of does and let them reproduce. I hate to say it but because of the "over crowding" you will see Idaho hunts change a lot after this research is done. They are going to turn the general deer tag into where you are going to have to choose the weapon you want to hunt with (rifle, bow, muzzleloader, short range), cut the hunt duration, and make you choose which unit to hunt. So archive this and refer back to it in five years.

All things that might need to happen. They can’t figure out how to do that without hiring the sociologists? Wildlife biologists are supposed to be pretty well trained or at least experienced in these matters since about the 1940’s. All of a sudden, its “we know animals but we don’t understand people”??

This is what the “progressive” / “woke” wildlife management of the future will be. A combination of ballot questions, behavioral models, tons of people in the office tinkering with web tools and apps, and fewer actual biologists, managers, or enforcement out in the field using common sense. You will hear more and more about their mission being to have to show “balance” and please ALL of the different stakeholders, not least of which will be the anti-hunting set (they are citizens too!) and every decision will need to be run through endless committee until it is certain nobody’s feeling will he hurt. An impossible task. End result is academic gridlock, years-long pointless studies and poorly justified science projects, and less beneficial action for wildlife than your typical farmer can do for themselves for wildlife on the back 40.

In my own state, I have said that the primary purpose of our fish and game / wildlife dept is to “document the decline” of everything that used to be good, but to do nothing about it.

Last edited:
Biologists are trained in management of animals and the study of animals not people (I studied wildlife biology in college). In school we went over human interaction and hunting for one week in one class. All the other classes are animal behavior, taxonomy classes, ecosystems, genetics, animal identification, plant identification, etc. People that study recreation resources have more of a handle on how to deal with these kind of issues and most of our fish and game departments in the West do not hire people who studied recreation. The ideal person would be a wildlife biologist with a minor in recreation resources, in my opinion.

I agree that a person the combination of skills would be a benefit to the job, so long as they were working in and for the department and the primary focus is on healthy, huntable game populations, healthy habitats, and successful non-game populations, fishing, etc. Over-harvest is a big deal, and must be addressed with urgency. But perceived over-crowding, as a preferential / personal view is WAY down the list. Most of us already know what we need to do to avoid crowding, even in busy units. But many people STILL might complain about crowding if it meant we wouldnt have to work so hard. Bad incentive to be honest about what overcrowding really means.

Most biologists are clueless when it comes to managing hunting and, for that matter, wildlife for the benefit of hunters. Just about every time a "biologist" gets involved in trying to micromanage game species, the problem ends up worse than it started. Nature has a pretty good way of managing its own. All these biologists think that by taking a few classes in college from some libtard professor that they're experts in animal behavior, conservation, habitat management, predator-prey relationships and more. I know more hunters who know more about these things than biologists. IDFG biologists are nothing more than bureaucratic paper-pushers, just like every other state. McDonald is a prime example.

So again I have to say Idaho Fish & NO Game are Clueless Really you have to hire someone to figure out why there are so many people out hunting the same areas ?? Here's my high school diploma answer FREE Stop offering so many tags!! then reduce the fricking # of tags that are already allotted !! How about reducing the seasons as a 2nd idea !! Hey maybe break up the hunt units & how about maybe doing an early hunt say a week long than doing a 2nd season a week later also a week long & then a 3rd season a week long a week after that .. Ya know another idea might be take the units that are below their So called quotas out of play for a season reduce the doe tags in most areas to ZERO not many bucks these days or ever having babies ..

F&G gets blasted at open houses and surveys about crowding and non residents. Would be great if every comment had a unit # attached to it. Deer and elk herds doing great go hunt now, no need to "build herds". unless weather is crazy, October is going to be very busy people in Idaho have been getting out in mass. Lots of places to get away from other hunters.

LIL_fish quote
I hate to say it but because of the "over crowding" you will see Idaho hunts change a lot after this research is done. They are going to turn the general deer tag into where you are going to have to choose the weapon you want to hunt with (rifle, bow, muzzleloader, short range), cut the hunt duration, and make you choose which unit to hunt. So archive this and refer back to it in five years.
[/QUOTE]
Never happen that's, a, resident pipe dream that fantacy will never come to frustration..
There research will show the current model is, working perfectly idahos, elk herd is growing
The deer herd is stableizeibg they have done a fanantastic job of managing the resources. , and game they will. Pat each other on the back congratulate themselvs on a job well done mission accomplished now where we going and who's buying celebration beer

Last edited:
LIL_fish quote
I hate to say it but because of the "over crowding" you will see Idaho hunts change a lot after this research is done. They are going to turn the general deer tag into where you are going to have to choose the weapon you want to hunt with (rifle, bow, muzzleloader, short range), cut the hunt duration, and make you choose which unit to hunt. So archive this and refer back to it in five years.
Never happen that's, a, resident pipe dream that fantacy will never come to frustration..
There research will show the current model is, working perfectly idahos, elk herd is growing
The deer herd is stableizeibg they have done a fanantastic job of managing the resources. , and game they will. Pat each other on the back congratulate themselvs on a job well done mission accomplished now where we going and who's buying celebration beer
[/QUOTE]

Your knowledge is about as correct as your grammar.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom