Interesting....

I wonder how much they spent on getting the 2 guys caught.
The amount that they spent catching them, should be part of their sentence.

Something stinks about them. Yeah, not even poaching charges. You'd think with all those DNA tests too, there was some poaching or...

They clung heavily on the "no tags on antlers." Hell, I think about 97% of hunters I know do that. It's technically against the law (immediately after kill), but damn.

I have no idea who these guys are or what they were up to.....but the whole story stinks.....

They were baiting deer which is also illegal. Believe I read somewhere else about trespassing too but don’t quote me on that. I remember one of these guys all over social media a few years ago bragging about killing these big Cali bucks. Not hard at all to do on neighborhood deer coming to apples.
What’s funny is a warden admitted to me without thinking that his captain shoots giant bucks (I saw pics on his phone) under apple trees on private in Santa Cruz mountains. I think these guys deserved further punishment but our F&G is full of dildos and hammers looking for nails, speaking from multiple experiences when it comes to big deer..

Sounds like maybe those wardens watched way to many episodes of csi. Probably picked on when they were younger and really wanted a gun and a badge they could use to punish people. Seems like you used to see that a lot more before the requirements for a fish cop were what they are now. Some dork didn't have the intelligence to get into law enforcement so he'd be a fish cop just to have some power.

This is the crazy part.

"Holbus said that when he met with Fields and the attorney general's prosecutor to go over the case, the seasoned criminal law attorneys were stunned at the number of DNA tests the wardens had ordered done.

"There were more DNA tests done than all three of us had seen in our careers put together," Holbus said."

I know Chris and years ago planned on hunting with him. He's a pretty solid guy and was addicted to hunting like the rest of us. I read the complaints that this "warden" wrote and shook my head at some of them. Sounds like this "warden" had a bone to pick with them, and this sounds a lot like revenge or jealousy because they killed big bucks. Now don't get me wrong, if they were baiting they were in the wrong. It just seems like a lot of man hours and money spent to get a hunting over apples conviction. There are heroin dealers out there that have had less time/money spent trying to catch them.

Dang long story, I was looking for pictures too. On top of that. their houses were raided and they had salt blocks? The nerve!!

Is there another way to see the link? This is all I get when I click on it.

FD702C1D-B484-4661-A1EE-930DCCB4298B.png

I wish one of you archivist's would find it.....that buck has been posted in this forum....alive

I would be fine with the time and resources if they actually got them for more than a slap on the wrist and a small fine. I guess 3 years no hunting is a big deal?

I would be fine with the time and resources if they actually got them for more than a slap on the wrist and a small fine. I guess 3 years no hunting is a big deal?
It would be a big deal to me to lose license for 3 years. I'm not gonna read 77 pages. So, yeah the salt licks / bait bugs me, but so does the LE's attitude that they had to get them. Either they got carried away with their ego or the accused were good cheaters or a combo of both?? But I sure as hell don't know.

A so called SWAT Team, really...?!?

I get it now.....it made Yahoo news and the end game is "trophy hunters". The target is trophy hunting.

"- Two northern California law enforcement officers have been busted for trophy hunting. It came after they posted pictures of their rare kills online. Reporter Marissa Perlman is in Sacramento with the months long investigation."

Couple long threads on bowsite about it. Both guys pleaded their case. In the end looks like they got caught baiting deer, and the government spent a boatload of $$ to pursue and prove it.

If you live in the area where this case took place you might understand a bit more. There are nice deer taken every year around Amador County. I have seen quite a few of them, but as the years gone there are fewer and fewer of them taken. And, the bigger bucks have moved into areas where they no they are safe. But, no deer is safe from baiting. One of the individuals in this case is a bit notorious you might say, and he sports a very noticeable California personalize license plate. A plate that has been know to be parked next to property that he didn't have permission to hunting on. But, if you are a member of the law enforcement field you might say you have an idea you are a bit above it! I don't know if they did it or didn't do it, but if you are going to bring a lot of attention to yourself, you better be ready to face the consequence's, and what your doing better be squeaky clean!

Parked next to and actually trespassing are to different things...I didn’t see any charges for trespassing!

Nope, just baiting. But if you go to bowsite, the 2 individuals fly the trespassing flag out front!

I guess most have forgotten about the Coleman Houston story and D3-5, and the lengths he went to in order to make a name for himself in the bow hunting world! Don't know that if the 2 in the article did it or not, I wasn't there to see it. However, like it or not if you are going to bring attention to yourself, like I said earlier you better make sure you are above book! A fan of law enforcement, or Fish and Game that is your choice. But, the resource put into this wasn't just because they did have a deer tag on a deer when a photo was snapped! I too would be guilty of that offence a few times over, so under the rule book I am also a law breaker! In case your not old enough to remember this search the name Kirt Darner, and see what comes up! The old statement "History Seems To Repeat Itself", is very true. Unfortunately, in the hunting world that many of use cherish and love. The lure of big horns and trophy class deer doesn't always bring out the best in some people. As hunters and outdoors people we owe it to ourselves especially in these time to cast the best image of ourselves that we can.

One thing kind of strange to me is that if they were cheating anyway, why use the bow? They could always put a bow in the picture and they should not consider it the extra challenge if cheating anyway.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom