INTERSTATE UNIT

dfowler08x

I drew the interstate unit for deer this year. Planning a scout trip in august. NE one hunted this unit before? Could you give me some pointers on where to spend some time? Thanks for all your help

This will be the first time in I can't remember that we haven't had interstate tags. Anyway, good hunt if you can stand the people. Lots of road hunters in the area and a traditional place for a couple OSP decoys, but there are a lot of deer in the unit, particularly in the low lands around rodeo butte. The big problem with the interstate unit is that much of it is tied up in US Timberlands. They will shut the woods down if there is even a slight chance of it going up in smoke because of the increased activity from hunters. My suggestion is to look high and get off the roads. Usually some big bucks taken down in the lowlands around the private ground. P.M. me if you would like more details.
"success Is Reason Enough!"

I have had the Intestate tag numerous times. The one area that I have hunted the most is the burn on Quartz Mt, off of Highway 140. There is alot of people that road hunt the area. If you have a group of hunters willing to push the thick manzanitta brush you might possibly kick up a few big bucks. Back in 2000 I had the Interstate youth tag and killed a 28" buck in the area. However during the controlled rifle tag I have only got one shot at a decent 4 point buck and that was because we kicked the buck up in a eight man drive. My advice to you is to hunt high upon Gearhart MT. and get away from all of the road hunters. Deffently if you put in the time and effort you should have moderate sucess. Areas that I would start looking at are the Gearhart Wildernes, the Dairy Cr. area, and around Camp 6. I would not pay much attention to the burn if I was hunting the unit again, (just too many road hunters). Another area where I have seen quality bucks without alot of hunting preasure is around the Horsefly Mt area wich is around Gerber Resevior.

support your local guzzlers. OHA life member,lapine oregon this is on my 2008 or 2009 hunt schedule i was down scouting the unit for my hunt a week ago. beetle kill has decimated the trees up high in the gearhart area. i found some areas i have marked on my map HUNT HERE. barnes rim is an area you should scout

Back
Top Bottom