Is 87 really all gloom and doom?

IdahoBugler

Hello guys I hope everyone's season is going well. So Oscar (Moosie) and I drew this tag this year again (2012). I jumped on to see what people are thinking of the hunt. It sure doesn't sound good. I know we will have a good time but was just hoping for any incite from people in the know of the area. We actually will not be able to hunt the area we shot our bucks in last time because it looks like there is not a HMA in that area anymore.

Thanks guys and good luck the rest of the season.

It's your hunt and while others may have had poor success, go into it positive. Maybe expect to have to look harder to find what you want. Be flexible and willing to check out new areas in that unit. Have a good time.

What are your expectations?
My expectations are a good time with a chance at a nice deer. :) I never really go into hunts looking for a specific number. Usually head in and see what is available and take accordingly. I guess just hoping to see some deer to look at and decide. Like I said earlier we hunted the southern part of the unit mostly in 2012 and had a great hunt. This isn't available to us so we will be going in pretty much blind except for looking at deery areas from google maps. The plan is to start around Ferris and head towards Pathfinder. Does that sound good, bad or ugly? Ha Ha

I'm interested to hear how you do, 87 is on my short list of units to apply for and I would like to know how its doing. I had a Ferris elk tag in 2015 and we saw quite a few bucks throughout the hunt.

My thoughts remain the same. Super tough unit to find 4x4 framed bucks. Be ready to see lots of 3x's! If you don't mind big 3x3 framed bucks it's a real possibility in 87. The 2019/2020 winter was super tough in 87, especially in the south end of the unit. Deer densities will be lower this year from winterkill. You should have a quality hunt. There are very few deer tags but be prepared to see cow elk hunters. There is the possibility of a wall hanger buck but they are super far and few between.

If the WG&F was bright they would offer a chunk of present tags issued into a pool to cull some of the mature 3x3 framed bucks. There is an over-abundance of mature 3x3 framed bucks in Central Wyo limited draw units (87, 34, 89, and 90). There are super poor genetics these Central Wyo units for mature 3x3 framed bucks. Given the chance there could be a higher proportion of 4x4 framed bucks available. Right now the few top end 4x4 framed bucks that exist get shot each year. I'm sure I'm going to get harassed for saying this but Central Wyo units would change dramatically for better buck quality if the present system was tweaked!

My thoughts remain the same. Super tough unit to find 4x4 framed bucks. Be ready to see lots of 3x's! If you don't mind big 3x3 framed bucks it's a real possibility in 87. The 2019/2020 winter was super tough in 87, especially in the south end of the unit. Deer densities will be lower this year from winterkill. You should have a quality hunt. There are very few deer tags but be prepared to see cow elk hunters. There is the possibility of a wall hanger buck but they are super far and few between.

If the WG&F was bright they would offer a chunk of present tags issued into a pool to cull some of the mature 3x3 framed bucks. There is an over-abundance of mature 3x3 framed bucks in Central Wyo limited draw units (87, 34, 89, and 90). There are super poor genetics these Central Wyo units for mature 3x3 framed bucks. Given the chance there could be a higher proportion of 4x4 framed bucks available. Right now the few top end 4x4 framed bucks that exist get shot each year. I'm sure I'm going to get harassed for saying this but Central Wyo units would change dramatically for better buck quality if the present system was tweaked!
Did you take one for the team and punch your central Wyoming tag on a big 3 point?

There’s three things that are absolutely certain in this world. Death, Taxes, and Jims talking about the abundance of big three point bucks in Wyoming’s Limited Quota Deer Units. ??????

Thanks for the info. You know I'm totally fine shooting a big mature 3 point. I actually like them a lot. Even a big 2 point is cool to me. In most areas I hunt, I hunt mainly for an older age class animal. Score isn't always important to me. Interesting to me you say the southern portion was hit harder than the nothern portion. Since the southern portion is lower.

That's ok as it looks like there is no access to the southern portion unless a road goes through it. It that correct?

Thanks for the info. You know I'm totally fine shooting a big mature 3 point. I actually like them a lot. Even a big 2 point is cool to me. In most areas I hunt, I hunt mainly for an older age class animal. Score isn't always important to me. Interesting to me you say the southern portion was hit harder than the nothern portion. Since the southern portion is lower.

That's ok as it looks like there is no access to the southern portion unless a road goes through it. It that correct?
Don't listen to jims. 87 may not be what it used to be numbers wise, but there is great hunting to be had. The size of the buck you take is the direct result of how good hunter you are and the amount of time you spend hunting. At this point the last 5 days will be the best hunting, especially with the cold weather we have coming. A friend took a great opening day buck this year and yes it was a main frame 5x5, wide, with a couple of cheaters. My guess is the buck defied the notion that he should have been a "big 3-point.

Oh, so you know, I live in central Wyoming, not Colorado. In fact I have been here since I was 4 years old. Good luck on your hunt!

My girlfriend also killed a main fraim 4x4 with eye guards that went 173 out of one of the areas you mentioned this year on opening day.

Jims is an acronym for misinformation on this website.

just remember, misinformation is still information

I never said there weren't any 4x4 bucks in those units. There is A LOT of room for improvement! With a little tweaking they could go from fair to ok units to incredible units! The potential is definitely there.

I've spent 14 to over 40 days and counting in 3 of those units this year. Just because I'm a nonres doesn't mean I don't spend much time there! I only live a few hours drive away! In fact, I'll be spending the next week in several of those units. The past month I've been either working or spending time scouting/hunting Wyo. I can pretty much guarantee I've spent more time in those units than a lot of Wyo res claim! I'll start another post after the season to back up what I've been saying and give this subject the attention it truly deserves. I have lots of photos and video to back up what I've been saying all along!

I never said there weren't any 4x4 bucks in those units. There is A LOT of room for improvement! With a little tweaking they could go from fair to ok units to incredible units! The potential is definitely there.

I've spent 14 to over 40 days and counting in 3 of those units this year. Just because I'm a nonres doesn't mean I don't spend much time there! I only live a few hours drive away! In fact, I'll be spending the next week in several of those units. The past month I've been either working or spending time scouting/hunting Wyo. I can pretty much guarantee I've spent more time in those units than a lot of Wyo res claim! I'll start another post after the season to back up what I've been saying and give this subject the attention it truly deserves. I have lots of photos and video to back up what I've been saying all along!
We are not holding our breath.

Sounds like there are some great bucks still to be had. It's a super tough tag to draw so this will more than likely be my last time hunting it. We will go and have a good time. I'm excited for the weather and hopefully some of the bucks will start feeling rutty. Good luck to you all.

I guess if what you are saying is true, I would have burned points elsewhere?

As you well know there aren't many options in Wyo if you are searching for B&C caliber bucks. G and H historically have some of the best B&C genetics in Wyo but get pounded each year by hunters and every few years by severe winterkill.

Since Wyo doesn't have that many great limited deer options it's tough figuring out strategies to burn high pts. As you well know it is nice being able to scout and hunt a unit that you are familiar with and is close to home. It's pretty fun taking photos and video while scouting....and having names for the biggest bucks you've gotten to know well in a unit!

I guess I've been spoiled here in Colo because we currently have a high proportion of 4x4 bucks. Even young bucks have 4x4 frames and older age class bucks with 3x3 frames aren't common. This definitely isn't the case in Central Wyo where the majority of mature bucks have 3x3 frames! Notice I didn't say that mature 4x4's were non-existent!

It may not bother Wyo residents because I don't think they know any better. Nothing will change unless Wyo residents actually open their eyes to the problem and actually care! I know for a fact there is incredible potential for great bucks in Central Wyo limited units compared to what is currently available! If you ask me it's a real shame! If you are happy with what you have than great!

As you well know there aren't many options in Wyo if you are searching for B&C caliber bucks. G and H historically have some of the best B&C genetics in Wyo but get pounded each year by hunters and every few years by severe winterkill.

Since Wyo doesn't have that many great limited deer options it's tough figuring out strategies to burn high pts. As you well know it is nice being able to scout and hunt a unit that you are familiar with and is close to home. It's pretty fun taking photos and video while scouting....and having names for the biggest bucks you've gotten to know well in a unit!

I guess I've been spoiled here in Colo because we currently have a high proportion of 4x4 bucks. Even young bucks have 4x4 frames and older age class bucks with 3x3 frames aren't common. This definitely isn't the case in Central Wyo where the majority of mature bucks have 3x3 frames! Notice I didn't say that mature 4x4's were non-existent!

It may not bother Wyo residents because I don't think they know any better. Nothing will change unless Wyo residents actually open their eyes to the problem and actually care! I know for a fact there is incredible potential for great bucks in Central Wyo limited units compared to what is currently available! If you ask me it's a real shame! If you are happy with what you have than great!
Well if Colorado is so great why the flock don’t you stay there?

I grew up in Wyo and enjoy returning and hunting there as often as I can. I draw tags in Colo as often as I can! Nothing like being able to return to your old stomping grounds!

It was a fun, cold and windy trip. Saw lots of bucks and I could tell that bad winter of 2016 did its number on the heard. Most of the mature deer we saw were in that 3.5 to 4.5 year old age class. We did not see the 3 point issue that was mentioned earlier. I would say we saw more 4 points then we did 3 points. With that said we did see a few nice 3 points as well as 2 points mixed in with that older age class deer. Nothing that I would say was out of the ordinary from any other hunt that I've been on.

Fun hunt that could be good in a few years. As long as they can survive this winter. You can tell there was not much moisture this year and they could be going into this year a little thinner than normal. Hoping they can pull through it though.

I'm curious what you consider 4x4's? If you want to be technical, I don't consider a 3x with a brow a 4x. Eastern count is a bit different than western.

I'm curious what you consider 4x4's? If you want to be technical, I don't consider a 3x with a brow a 4x. Eastern count is a bit different than western.
Jim they are asking for you over on the Colorado forum. :LOL:

I'm not going to let it go when what I'm saying is the truth! There is a definite problem in Central Wyo limited muley units with poor 3x3 framed buck prevalence! If you are excited about the current situation great! If you don't think it's worth doing anything to improve things than so be it! All I've been saying all along is that I really think there is great potential for more quality bucks and there is great room for improvement.

You are correct that there are a few top end bucks harvested every year with 4x4 frames. What I'm saying is there could easily be more! Is it worth tweaking? Draw odds are horrible in those units. Wouldn't it be great to have more top end bucks available for those that wait so many years to draw tags? It sounds like JM and other critics are thrilled with what is currently available and don't see room for improvement!

JM, Slightysober, and other critics, I would really like to take a drive with you in 87, 89, and 90 sometime in late summer when bucks are in velvet and make a count of how many 4x4 framed bucks, crab-clawed 4x4's, 3x3's, and mature 2x2's we see. Even better, take a drive after the season when bucks have been harvested for the year and are rutting to get a feel for how many 3x3/3x4 framed bucks are courting does! We can keep a tally sheet and let everyone know. Put your $ where your mouth is guys! When would you like to meet up and take a drive to settle this once and for all? My PM box is waiting!

I'm not going to let it go when what I'm saying is the truth! There is a definite problem in Central Wyo limited muley units with poor 3x3 framed buck prevalence! If you are excited about the current situation great! If you don't think it's worth doing anything to improve things than so be it! All I've been saying all along is that I really think there is great potential for more quality bucks and there is great room for improvement.

You are correct that there are a few top end bucks harvested every year with 4x4 frames. What I'm saying is there could easily be more! Is it worth tweaking? Draw odds are horrible in those units. Wouldn't it be great to have more top end bucks available for those that wait so many years to draw tags? It sounds like JM and other critics are thrilled with what is currently available and don't see room for improvement!

JM, Slightysober, and other critics, I would really like to take a drive with you in 87, 89, and 90 sometime in late summer when bucks are in velvet and make a count of how many 4x4 framed bucks, crab-clawed 4x4's, 3x3's, and mature 2x2's we see. Even better, take a drive after the season when bucks have been harvested for the year and are rutting to get a feel for how many 3x3/3x4 framed bucks are courting does! We can keep a tally sheet and let everyone know. Put your $ where your mouth is guys! When would you like to meet up and take a drive to settle this once and for all? My PMS box is waiting!

I’ve made some poor life choices before but I’d rather not get a vehicle with you for the following reasons:

1) You’re mentally unstable and the obsession with this 3 pt genetic isn’t healthy
2). See number 1
3) Everyone already knows your 3 pt theory is BS
4). See number 1
5). See number 2

If a guy cant understand the regs regarding spotlighting how is he going to understand genetics?

SS, your last post tells it all. Who exactly is unstable? Your web name pretty much explains who you are! It sounds like someone is back-peddling and afraid of the truth?

I would like to settle this once and for all! What better way than to get out in the hills with binos and spotting scope. I also have a great camera for taking closeup photos and video to document what we see. I was out in the units last week and the bucks are starting to rut pretty well. I have a pen and pad of paper ready to go!

I think all of us on this website are tired of the same guys constantly complaining and bickering...and should be held responsible for their claims. Quit hiding behind your computer and lets get out there and get it done! I know for a fact it would be a lot of fun and we'll get the questions answered in a hurry!

The problem in central Wyoming is not genetics. The problem is the good bucks are being killed before they have the time to turn into monsters. I'll be the first one to admit our local G&F does not manage for trophy animals and trust me, changing that mindset is beyond what any of us combined is capable of doing.

I know some diehard hunters that really put some major time in hunting the LQ areas around Casper this fall. They were very disappointed.

SS, your post doesn't even deserve a response!

JM, now we are getting somewhere! It's great you admit there is a problem. Whether it is bucks not aging, the WG&F not managing for trophy quality, genetics or what ever.....there is a problem!

I spent over 35 days in Central Wyo looking at deer this fall. Each year I spend time in the units and find the same exact trend. Here's my take on what's going on in Central Wyo. Draw odds for those tags are super high. In fact, they are some of the toughest draw odds in Wyo for limited deer tags. A fair number of guys that draw those units are extremely good hunters that are searching open rimrock country for the top bucks available in the units. The guides in those units also put a heck of a lot of pressure on the few monster 4x4 framed bucks available. Their clients are picky and generally shoot the best 4x4 bucks they can find. I spent time this year competing with those guides and it was evident they knew their stuff and we were competing for the same exact top bucks.

Year after year many of the top tier bucks with the best racks get harvested. We both agree that there are trophy bucks harvested in these units each year.

As you mentioned in your last post many of the other bucks don't have time to mature. I've seen a gob of young bucks but I also see a heck of a lot of mature 3x3 framed and crab-clawed bucks. My take on it is if there is a 4x4 buck standing next to 3 or 4 similar sized 3x3 bucks that 95% of hunters are going to harvest the 4x4 framed buck. The plentiful 3x3 framed and crab bucks are left to breed does. Whether this is enough to change the gene pool it is tough to say?

JM, Do you agree that there are a high percentage of 3x3 bucks left after hunting season? I would really like to join you and anyone else that doubts this fact and is concerned about Central Wyo muledeer on the winter range after the season. In my eyes this is a major problem! It will only take a matter of a few hours on the winter ranges with binos, spotting scope, and a pad and paper to see exactly what I'm talking about!

There is no doubt in my mind that this is the case! I wouldn't be so hard headed about this unless I was certain this was true. I also wouldn't make such a fuss about it if I didn't truly care and believe there is a solution. I know that there must be ways to improve the quality bucks available. This comes from a guy that truly is concerned and enjoys watching, filming, and hunting trophy muley bucks!

If you agree with me....we are really getting somewhere! The next step is to figure out a strategy to change this horrible trend that has plagued Central Wyo for years.

Could this horrible trend be changed?....I believe so! Will I by myself be able to change the WG&F....heck no! Do you think the WG&F is willing to listen to a number of concerned hunters and outfitters about the problem...possibly? Especially if they have a management plan that makes a heck of a lot of sense!

I believe there is a solution to this problem that would be both win-win for both meat and trophy hunters. It may take a few years to work but I'm pretty sure the trend would be more and more nice 4x4 framed bucks each year it exists.

The first step is recognizing there is a problem. The 2nd is figuring out a strategy to change the problem that has existed in Wyo for so many years! As you are finding out I won't ever give up on this quest!

Last edited:
It was a fun, cold and windy trip. Saw lots of bucks and I could tell that bad winter of 2016 did its number on the heard. Most of the mature deer we saw were in that 3.5 to 4.5 year old age class. We did not see the 3 point issue that was mentioned earlier. I would say we saw more 4 points then we did 3 points. With that said we did see a few nice 3 points as well as 2 points mixed in with that older age class deer. Nothing that I would say was out of the ordinary from any other hunt that I've been on.

Fun hunt that could be good in a few years. As long as they can survive this winter. You can tell there was not much moisture this year and they could be going into this year a little thinner than normal. Hoping they can pull through it though.
This is about the same report on 87 that I wrote a few years ago after hunting it. Unfortunately "could be good in a few years" never comes. Its a decent hunt and there usually one or 2 great bucks killed each year (almost always by a local or guide that knows where that one buck lives). However, in my experience if you really want to take a deer home you better be shooting the first 160+ buck you see - especially now that the private land access is worse than it used to be.

Not to derail this thread but I personally like really big 3x3 mule deer. I have 11 points going into next year, of these central units which one would I want to hunt for that massive 3x3:)
11 points won’t get you any of those units that are being discussed. The only unit you could draw is unit 34 and I wouldn’t waste 11 points there; trust me!

11 points won’t get you any of those units that are being discussed. The only unit you could draw is unit 34 and I wouldn’t waste 11 points there; trust me!
GoHunt has all three units (89, 87, 34) at 100% draw odds with 11 points in the special and all but 87 in the regular.

You would think that after 11 to 14 years of applying a guy would have a decent chance at a monster muley buck? That isn't the case in most of Wyo. Unfortunately muleys in Wyo have struggled for years and years and things may never change due to fairly frequent winterkill years, poor habitat, predators, and poor management strategies.

The management side of things is horrible in Central Wyo! That is why I'm raising such a stink. Hopefully I'll raise enough attention to this that Wyo residents will step up and try to get things changed! I know the potential is there it's just a matter of allowing bucks to age and replacing some of the bigger 3x3's that are prevalent with 4x4's. Given a chance those units could be amazing!

89 takes less pts than the others but has scattered chunks of private land. The deer season starts after elk season so some of the smart ole bucks get pressured and head to private land before rifle deer season even starts. There is some steep, remote country in 89 that is pretty good.

All of those units are similar to what ChipC mentioned where the top bucks get harvested by locals or guides that have knowledge of the area.

You better know someone that is familiar with the unit, have lots of time to search, or get incredibly lucky to get one of the few whoppers that exist. Believe me, those monster bucks are ghosts especially after they shed their velvet and the archery season starts. Just because you burn max pref pts on a tough draw unit does it mean there are 170 to 180+ bucks abundant and available!

If you want any detailed info about Central Wyo units or would like to discuss management strategies that will improve these units....feel free to pm me!

Here is a matureish 3x3 I shot in Central wyo on a LE tag. It was not 89, 90 or 34 though. Haha. Saw another 4x4 with crabs I would have shot but couldn't get it done.

20201023_220050.jpg

Buddy's wife shot a 4x4 in 87 this year, they had a baby with them, didn't hunt hard. Must have shot the last 4x4 with all this talk....

I was/am proud of that buck. He was mature and I was happy to put my tag on him.... second choice wyoming tag...i will take that buck every year on that tag. Obviously someday i might draw my first choice and the first guy that I will contact are on this forum.

This is about the same report on 87 that I wrote a few years ago after hunting it. Unfortunately "could be good in a few years" never comes. Its a decent hunt and there usually one or 2 great bucks killed each year (almost always by a local or guide that knows where that one buck lives). However, in my experience if you really want to take a deer home you better be shooting the first 160+ buck you see - especially now that the private land access is worse than it used to be.

With 14 points going into next year would 87 be worth cashing in on points? Say if expectation is 160-170? I haven't shot a decent 150+ buck in 10 years (have been a meat hunter mostly), and a antelope hunting addict. Was debating unit 90, but if its only 3 points to be had, may be sitting on the sidelines for years to come. I love 3 points too (but happy to hunt those every year in CA and ID).
Rod

Rodzilla, a 160+ buck is a real possibility in all of the Central Wyo units. As several locals have mentioned there are a few top bucks harvested every year in those units that are often shot by locals, guided hunters, or hardcore hunters. I would also crawl out on a limb and say there is very little potential for B&C bucks but once in a blue moon a B&C buck is harvested. If you are searching for B&C or nothing I would possibly search elsewhere.

As I've been saying all along there is a high percentage of 3x framed bucks and 4x's with crab claw fronts. It may take time and a little luck to find the top tier bucks with deeper forks and longer tines. If you are willing to put in the time there is a chance you will be rewarded! I've spent quite a bit of time in all those units the last few years and would say that some central Wyo units have better potential and more top tier bucks than others. If there is another bad winter like last year in south central Wyo it could be slim pickings in some of those units.

I would agree that the buck in the above picture is a reasonable expectation in all those limited Central Wyo units.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom