Is ammo availability gonna affect your hunting season?

Mule675

Okay - I'm supposed to go to a charity sporting clay shoot and can't find any 12 ga shotshells local.

The going price online is about $150/case of 250. Some guys are asking $50 for 25 round box of #6 shot. LOL! Also looked at other ammo and keep drawing a blank. Most stuff seems sold out or way overpriced and the fight for gun rights is about to get into full swing.

SO - is ammo availability gonna affect your season?

I'm actually wondering about the 2022 season and if I even want to buy another point for that this year.

Won’t affect my seasons for many years. I tend to stay stocked up but bumped up our stocks considerably recently. I could probably go 10 years before buying any more. Shotshells would be the only thing I’d like to have more of (prob only have 25 cases on hand) but the local range is selling shells and we’ve got the components to reload a bunch.

It's affecting my offseason more than my season. (no shooting at all for me this year so far). Even if I could find it, I just can't afford $4 per round to plink a 30.06 at the range.

I think prices are going to be 20-30% more moving forward no matter what. it's going to be the cost of doing business. I think it's going to take a few years for supply to build up for the price to drop. I'm expecting and prepared to see the shortage and inflated prices through 2022 and into 2023.

Wont be doing as much plinking this year but I will be fine for hunting season. I have a ton of target loads for 12 gauge but running lower than I would like when it comes to 9mm ammo.

Lost a plastic ammo case with 6 or 7 boxes of 270 nbt federal premium. Im still probally good for this year for hunting. Cant find it and its driving me crazy.

Not for big game but I can burn through upland loads pretty fast. If things don’t change my upland shot selection sure will.

Have enough components and loaded ammo on hand for a couple big game seasons. Gave up bird shooting when I lost my old lab so don’t worry too much about shotshells. Hopefully I can find some more pistol primers and get back to doing some practice shooting soon. For now I am holding on to what I have and not doing much practice.

My problem is drawing the tags I want but thank goodness for general. I stayed prepared on ammo.

For shotgun shells i have been able to get plenty. $6.47 to $9.99 for a box of 25. But they stay stocked on 7 1/2 shot and i never see 6 shot

I rifle hunted elk last year. I used 1 ultra mag bullet to kill my bull. I have roughly 80 rounds reloaded. At this rate, if I live to be 83, I’ll will the last 40 shells to my son. It can become his problem or his son’s problem to find extinct ammo.

I could only imagine if my wife got in my ammo closet and then got on Gunbroker and did a search lol. Gold has had nothing on ammo in the last two years.
x2 on finding reasonably priced shotshells for Sporting clays.

I remember reading a story about an old timer who shot 18 deer over the course of 18 years, and he it with one box of 30-30 cartridges. Two deer needed follow-up shots. I am doing fine with ammo.....I have 4-10 boxes each in 30-06, 300 win mag, 300wby mag- 264 win mag, and 6.5-284. I hope you all remember the price gougers when ammo becomes readily available again. I keep getting email from an online retailer about my ammo being in stock. Problem is that they want $4.70 a round. I usually pay $2.75 a round for that stuff. I left a review saying they were price gougers.

I have plenty for hunting. Quite a bit of powder, decent primers and a good bullet supply. But the paper punching and prairie dog outings might be less this year. Maybe archery seasons will be a lot more crowded. I've seen a good supply of arrows......

Yep. Plenty of hunting rounds for all my rifles, pistols and shotguns. Also have plenty of powder, primers and bullets for hunting.

plenty of pistol, 223 and 22 shells to keep us busy plinking.

Once reloading supplies are available at normal prices I will up my stock just a bit for another rainy day and of peace of mind.

Have a good supply of reloading components. May not run out in my lifetime. Darn sure glad I was stocked up. After Obama, I started making regular purchases of components, whether I needed them or not. Have casings, bullets, primers, and powder for each caliber we shoot...except one. Only have a few boxes of .45-70 ammo, that is more for fun than anything though, so it matters not. Don't shoot it enough to worry about reloading ammo for it.

My wife and son like to shoot their pistols often.
Pistol ammo would have already become a major issue for us, if I couldn't reload, and didn't already have the components.

Have a good supply of reloading components. May not run out in my lifetime. Darn sure glad I was stocked up. After Obama, I started making regular purchases of components, whether I needed them or not. Have casings, bullets, primers, and powder for each caliber we shoot...except one. Only have a few boxes of .45-70 ammo, that is more for fun than anything though, so it matters not. Don't shoot it enough to worry about reloading ammo for it.

My wife and son like to shoot their pistols often.
Pistol ammo would have already become a major issue for us, if I couldn't reload, and didn't already have the components.
Agreed I started with .22 then moved to my big rifle cartridges have plenty even got a couple new rifles since the beginning of the year and have plenty of ammo for those. I even turned down federal blue box for 243 at Walmart two weeks ago for under 20 bucks. No need to be the problem but when I see primers I’ll buy as many as possible because I have buddy’s who need them.

I've got plenty of supplies to keep me hunting for a long time. It has slowed down my target shooting though. I don't want to waste a bunch of stuff that I can't replace right now. So I bought a 17hmr and a bunch of ammo. Bad news for the local ground squirrels!

Don P

Ammo is crazy hard to find here in Southern New Mexico. I find myself buying whatever they have and then trying to trade it out with friends...

I have a box of .270 WSM if anyone is interested in a trade ???

As long as I don’t swap scopes and need to re-zero, we’re good for a few years. Target archery will suffice for a while.

Agreed I started with .22 then moved to my big rifle cartridges have plenty even got a couple new rifles since the beginning of the year and have plenty of ammo for those. I even turned down federal blue box for 243 at Walmart two weeks ago for under 20 bucks. No need to be the problem but when I see primers I’ll buy as many as possible because I have buddy’s who need them.
Not real sure I should post this online, but here goes...

Disclaimer first: I haven't been there in the last several weeks so I'm not positive about anything currently.

But just prior to that I bought many boxes of small and large CCI pistol primers at the Gunnies in Orem. They had many, though for all I know they have recently become extinct, still it may be worth checking out though.

Not for me. I stocked up over the last 5 years for each rifle, pistol, shotgun, and muzzleloader I own. I can go practice on a regular basis and still have enough left over for hunting. Prices on ammo you can find are insane right now!

Lost a plastic ammo case with 6 or 7 boxes of 270 nbt federal premium. Im still probally good for this year for hunting. Cant find it and its driving me crazy.
Has your wife recently had a yard/garage sale ? If she has that might be where it went

It may be a few years until I draw a deer tag here in Utah. So my ammo supply should last 10 years or more. Archery elk will have to fill the Deer tag void for a few years. I have plenty of ammo and arrows for now. I would much rather eat a Deer, than an elk though.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom