Is Bear Victim Case Worth 2 Mill????

O

Optima

Last year in American Fork Canyon located in central Utah, a boy was attacted and killed by a black bear. As tragic as this was, it is the only fatal bear attact ever recorded in Utah. His parents are now sueing the National Forest Service for 2 million dollars due to the fact they feel there should have been more warning signs alarming them of bear country. The National Forest Service is requesting the case never go to court and be dismissed. Although I feel very sorry for what happend and mourn with the parents lost, I am shocked they are sueing and don't agree they should be entitled to any prugative damage reward.

Am I way out of wack hear? Has there been other similar cases where rewards where granted? I also feel if they do win this case, it may have other lasting consequences like exterminating all bears or causing us to sign a disclaimer warning us of all outdoor danger before we go hunting, camping, hiking, fishing, or any other outdoor activity we enjoy. It may even cause hikes in canyon access fees as well as hunting/fishing licence fees.

Anyway, enough of me, lets here your coments!! What do you think about this case?

Sounds like a joke of a case, the only way I can see they might get a dime is if there had been serious problems with a bear in that area prior to the attack and nothing was done.

I believe I recall reading that there had been prior issues with a bear raiding campsites in the area and that no "warning" had been posted to enlighten the unknowing. I also recall another family allegedly camped in the very same spot shortly after the fatal attack and reportedly had no idea about the previous incidents. You would think that there would have been forest service personnel on hand making each camper aware of the situation? Who knows, maybe there was and I missed that part of the report? When campers check in to that campground are they given warnings about camp-raiding bears? I don't know as I've never been camping in that part of the state.

You cannot assume that every family that shows up to camp understands that wild animals that may kill your loved ones frequent a particular campground and may have just been there in the past few days. Remember, there are always folks on their first camp trip. Should they be able to sue? Perhaps. Is $2,000,000 unreasonable? If a known aggressive bear was causing problems and no warnings were posted how much is one of your loved ones lives worth to you? Likely way more than $2 million bucks, right? My precious granddaughter will celebrate her first birthday today and if a bear ate her on a family camping trip there isn't enough money in the recent Wall Street Bail-Out that could assuage my grief and compensate my family for our loss.

Here is a photo of a sign posted along my favorite trout stream in Wyoming...
BewaretheBears.jpg

...now, if I get hammered by a grizzly while presenting a Willy's Red Ant to a rising cutthroat trout, well, that's too bad for me and my family and an unfortunate happenstance as I've been forwarned; however, if potential killer bears frequent the area and are protected as "endangered" or "threatened" species and the public isn't given a simple head's up about a potential problem, then my family is damn well gonna ask some questions and want a piece of someone's ass if I end up chewed on by a grizzly bear. It's my responsibility to take reasonable precautions directly proportional to the authorities responsibility to provide adequate notification to the least knowledgeable person likely to utilize the resource.

It's obvious that fatal black bear attacks are a rarity in Utah; perhaps they would still be non-existent if a simple warning had been prominently posted (if it wasn't) in this instance in light of the recent bear activity in American Fork Canyon?

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-08 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]1. There were " Bear Country" signs posted..

2. They were in a un-improved area or overflow area camping not in the FS camp ground.

3. On the other hand, there was bear activity in the area so.....?

4. Cabela's and Sportsmans sold out of bear spray in less than a day after the reports came out.

Going to be a interesting story to follow and see how it turns out.

wasnt it last year that a lady sued the FS because her husband got killed by a bear in Montana while out elk hunting? FS was suppose to post signs that there were bears in the woods and you might run into them?
I guess all bears were suppose to be in zoo's or somthing.

Give me a break!!! It is nonesense like that which results in some moron having to put an iron on warning label on the sun visor of every vehicle made. Here are some other ideas of warning signs they should put up on areas of this nature. Unfortunately this nanny state just cannot have a official to follow everyone around and wipe their nose as the sitation warrants.

1. Warning!! Holding your head under the water of any bodies of water found on this property, whether moving or stagnent, may result in serious bodily injury or death.

2. Warning!!! Consuming large amounts of vodka via the rectum may result in death.

3. Warning!!! Placing your head directly in front of barrels of rifles or pistols discharged on this property may result in serious bodilly injury or death.

4. Warning!!! Do let small children run about unattended on roads adjacent to the property as this may also result in serious bodily injury or death.

It's no suprise that our culture/country is so messed up when you consider a portion of the folks are ambulance chasing trial lawyers and the vast remainder of folks are well... CHA CHING $$$

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom