Is It Enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slamdunk

I have one and absolutely love it.
It hasn't harvested anything yet, but it's a dime puncher.
It'll put lights out downrange at 600 yards for me no problem, but I've not hunted with it yet.

It quickly turned into a 6.5 "Need More" when the PRC version came out, of which I now have in a Bergara Wilderness Terrain topped with an Athlon Midas Tac.
I'm not scared to hunt elk with it!

Screenshot_20210710-195251_Facebook.jpg

Ya it’s not the rounds fault for people thinking a 123 grain bullet will carry enough energy down range to kill a large animal. My buddy got one and killed his bull at 250 one shot. Wicked round up close but really get a bigger gun of some distance. More dead heads for the manbun Facebook nation I guess. No guts more glory.

I love mine! I took mine out today and hit the car door at well over 1000 yards. I'm glad they found that dead big bull. Looks like the gun did its job! When I get my Sig 10k rangefinder I am going to kill my doe antelope out past 1500 yards I think pretty easy.

Ya it’s not the rounds fault for people thinking a 123 grain bullet will carry enough energy down range to kill a large animal. My buddy got one and killed his bull at 250 one shot. Wicked round up close but really get a bigger gun of some distance. More dead heads for the manbun Facebook nation I guess. No guts more glory.
I personally don't know anyone shooting 123's, everyone i know uses 140-143's.

Having said that, thousands of game has fallen to the 257 Roberts and 25-06 shooting 120's at lesser velocities.

375 RUM!

Right Around 5,000 lbs of Energy at the Muzzle!

Never Seen An Animal Shot With it Limp Off!

Sometimes the Pack-Out Ain't As Bad As Well!

As of Lately I've Been Buying 375 RUM Ammo For Way Less than 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo! (((No BS!)))

I Have Held PUNKS 6.5 PRC,NICE GUN!

Glad To See Him Make The Up-Grade!

PUNK Ain't Got Enough Hair Atop His Head For The Hair-Doo to Match the 6.5 Creedmoor!:D (((RAZZIN Ya PUNK!:D)))

Good To See You A Week ago!

damage-1.jpg

I personally don't know anyone shooting 123's, everyone i know uses 140-143's.

Having said that, thousands of game has fallen to the 257 Roberts and 25-06 shooting 120's at lesser velocities.
Ya and at what distances under 400 yards would you say? Do optics at their advanced state create confidence that Ethics can’t replace?
30-30 best cartridge next to the 50 Hawkins ever made! Well they have most North American kills so it makes sense right. Shoulder a bigger weapon for animals shoot paper at crazy distance for your ego. Animals deserve better that your ego.

Ya and at what distances under 400 yards would you say? Do optics at their advanced state create confidence that Ethics can’t replace?
30-30 best cartridge next to the 50 Hawkins ever made! Well they have most North American kills so it makes sense right. Shoulder a bigger weapon for animals shoot paper at crazy distance for your ego. Animals deserve better that your ego.
I completely agree Sir.
And this comes from a guy who has taken 3 animals with his new 338 Lapua, all under 100 yards.

Lol Bess, less packing ain't such a bad idea at our age!!

It was great seeing you last Sunday!

375 RUM!

As of Lately I've Been Buying 375 RUM Ammo For Way Less than 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo! (((No BS!)))

PUNK Ain't Got Enough Hair Atop His Head For The Hair-Doo to Match the 6.5 Creedmoor!:D (((RAZZIN Ya PUNK!:D)))

View attachment 45770
I'd like to deep fry that chicken and eat it with a side of potato logs from Flying J. Wash it down with a full strength Surge Soda.

Shot my first elk with a winchester model 94 bought at a garage sale for $125. Came with a weaver mount and simmons 3x9 scope. It was a 5 pt ragger in Montana.

I watched a client drop a bull at 500 yards with a 6.5. It's not my first choice for elk, but he felt comfortable with it and did a great job killing.

Shot my first elk with a winchester model 94 bought at a garage sale for $125. Came with a weaver mount and simmons 3x9 scope. It was a 5 pt ragger in Montana.
I don’t believe I would bother with my ‘94 22 mag. I didn’t know they chambered them in creed.

It doesn’t matter how big the caliber is if you hit it right. That’s why I always use the biggest caliber I can find for elk.

A .22 LR is enough to be lethal. The average person isn't a skilled enough hunter to ethically execute a kill with it.

375 RUM!

View attachment 45770
It looks like you hit that thing with a truck. That will save on some freezer space!

At the end of the day opinions are like @ssholes, everyone has one.

I own a 6.5 PRC & I love the little rifle. I personally wouldn’t use it to hunt elk, but that is my opinion.
I know guys from the Midwest that hunt large heavy whitetail with a .243.
I killed my first antelope with a 300 Win mag.
Hunt with the gun that you have confidence in, that you are comfortable with & can shoot.

Last edited:
From the
Official Word Vomit Gazette:

In 1976 I started hunting mule deer and elk with a Thompson Center Muzzleloader. I did it for a number of different reasons.

It gave me an opportunity to hunt more days each year.
  1. It was a lot of fun to hunt with a so called primitive weapon.
  2. It was fun to hunt in traditional clothing and camp in a 18’ teepee with my young family.
I really enjoyed the companionship of other muzzleloader enthusiasts and competing in a few watered down activities of an earlier American live style.
  1. I didn’t have a lot of discretionary money so I tried to make sure I brought home some meat for the family, while I was having a great time doing what I loved to do.
I learn a couple things pretty quick.

A patched round ball isn’t an ideal killing instrument, when compared to “a better tool for the job”.
  1. Tracking a wounded deer or elk, for hours on end, to no positive outcome, does not set well with the hunter and it’s a real inconvenience for the critter.
  2. Number 2 happened too often for my comfort level.
My solution was to start head shooting. I decided I was either going to miss or the critter was going to drop, on the spot.

Life immediately got a lot better for both me and the deer and elk community.

My 6.5 ain’t like hunting with a round ball muzzleloader but the concept might still apply, in certain circumstances.

I have plenty of tools for the job but I don’t feel one bit guilty about shooting either of my 6.5s at elk. Nor do I apologize too loudly when I take my favorite 300 Win Mag for an outing.

But....... you do you, and ain’t it great to have choices.

A .22 LR is enough to be lethal. The average person isn't a skilled enough hunter to ethically execute a kill with it.
Many of deer and elk have successfully been killed with one shot with a .22 years and years ago with not one animal getting away.
So a friend tells me
SHOULD NEVER BE DONE THO!!!

My simple answer to Slamy's "Is it enough" question is similar to lumpy.
Will it do the job within the ethical standards that are set.

Two decades ago most ethical hunting meant limiting shots on big game to 300-400 yds max. That meant most centerfire calibers/cartridges were acceptable in taking down big game within those limits.
But in today's technology crazed hunting world, the limits of the smaller, milder cartridges are easily exposed.
If one is willing to discipline themselves in holding their "man bun" to under 300 yds, with well constructed bullets, and the right target angle, then it "could be enough".

I shudder to admit that I had a "needmoor" built for my Stone Sheep hunt (in grizzly country no less). It easily smacked gongs out to 800yds and it worked perfectly on my ram at 250 yds DRT.
But this year I'll be packing my new 28 Nosler (not the needmoor) on my LE Bull Elk hunt and I'll stretch my limits if needed.

Many of deer and elk have successfully been killed with one shot with a .22 years and years ago with not one animal getting away.
So a friend tells me
SHOULD NEVER BE DONE THO!!!
Totally agree! Years ago my dad took me squirrel hunting and a doe walked in on us at maybe 30 yards. My dad shot her between the eyes with a .22 & she dropped in her tracks. I I remember wiping a small spot of blood from her forehead. You would swear the deer died of a heart attack. It can definitely be done!!!

My biggest elk was taken with a 257 Weatherby. A 115 Barnes at 3400 FPS did the job well. I had a complete pass through taking out the top of the humerus out of the off-side of a quartering away shot. That round left a 2 inch hole on exit…not sure why I felt under-gunned but I did. I now have a 300 WSM and my son has a 7mm-08. My Weatherby is so much fun to shoot it is my go to deer gun and would still use it for elk. The 300 WSM just is not as much fun to shoot and I am more accurate with the 257.

Several guides I have talked to have complained that more big deer and big elk are missed by guys shooting heavy recoil rifles…300 Weatherby, 30-378 Weatherby, 300 RUM etc. They have all told me they have seen more deer and elk DRT with 25-06 and 270s. They feel the guys shooting the lower recoil rifles practice more and are generally more accurate.

How many pushups do you think the guy in the pic did before they took the picture--im guessing 50 or so to get the swole on hehehe.?

My daughter is hunting elk this year with a .243 shooting a 85gr Barnes out of a youth model Ruger American. Longest shot is gonna be 150 yards tops. I think it will do the job--we will see if we are lucky enough to have an opportunity to prove that it is enough gun. I don't dare get her anything more powerful--this gun already scoped her once--she is a small gal--we are just practicing a bunch and focusing on close shots and putting the bullet through the lungs

Full disclosure I do not own a 6.5 or have plans too. But the “not enough caliber for elk” thing kind of cracks me up. I kill all mine with pointy sticks. I’m pretty sure it’s where you hit them. Always had been for me anyway
You aint shooting pointy sticks at 3 and 400 yards though either.

I bought a new rifle this year with elk on my mind, Christensen Ridgeline in 300 PRC.

and you don't miss a chance to look like a buffoon.

the really hard to understand point you missed is its where you hit them. i know, i know, high level anatomy here but go ahead and google it. watched my dad kill a moose out behind the house in Alaska with a .308 when i was a kid. had the internet been a thing back then i'm sure that the moose wouldn't have died with such an "under sized caliber" but since is was pre internet expert the thing died right there where we could get the truck to it

and you don't miss a chance to look like a buffoon.

the really hard to understand point you missed is its where you hit them. i know, i know, high level anatomy here but go ahead and google it. watched my dad kill a moose out behind the house in Alaska with a .308 when i was a kid. had the internet been a thing back then i'm sure that the moose wouldn't have died with such an "under sized caliber" but since is was pre internet expert the thing died right there where we could get the truck to it
Be nice, that’s a mean name, I’m sure he did ?

i think the real question is are the guys shooting 6.5's caliber enough them selves to kill an elk. thats quite a different discussion.

Im pretty sure coopers scared of guns so not sure why hes on this thread other then his typical stalking of me

Im pretty sure coopers scared of guns so not sure why hes on this thread other then his typical stalking of me
I shoot all mine with pointy sticks, it’s all about where you hit them, always had been for me anyway ?

you've yet to comment on the topic. just back to stalking. what color lip stick you putting on today?

Internet Troll
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

you've yet to comment on the topic. just back to stalking. what color lip stick you putting on today?

Internet Troll
An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.
One time my dad shot a moose in my backyard with his 308 lever action.

All part of the plan. Destroy the nuclear family ( ongoing since the 60’s) , make the population dependent on shooting moose with their 308 in their backyard

• Haha
Reactions: DW
man you just keep illustrating that your truly stalking me.

id be flattered if it wasn't a Utard

Coming from the guy who tells the big cheese like a little girl ? No one cares about you shooting your bow or some bs about your dad killing moose in his backyard, maybe mallards does but he’s probably out scouting up some coots for you two idahomos to hunt this fall.

I love mine! I took mine out today and hit the car door at well over 1000 yards. I'm glad they found that dead big bull. Looks like the gun did its job! When I get my Sig 10k rangefinder I am going to kill my doe antelope out past 1500 yards I think pretty easy.
Keep eating the tootsie rolls…..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom