Is it the same buck?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Here’s a question for you mule deer experts. You analyze antlers and share your thoughts. Is this the same buck?

We’ll start with eyeguards. The bucks right side eye guard on both bucks is about 2 inches. The right side is more of just a big bump.
BD31FE97-F28F-4BE8-B75A-B94522EA21F0.jpeg
1F59F604-604D-4321-8CC0-D3B13A9AB130.jpeg

38D2BB36-BD9E-4AFE-8109-FAC78DADD8F1.jpeg

Next, look at the ends of each main beam. The bucks right side is pretty flat looking. The left side sorta turns upward as it nears the end.
A245406F-69AE-42C3-BF22-7F6BC41A42B8.jpeg

48778E32-BAAC-4DD1-BDC8-D8D019D2C86D.jpeg

8D763566-6F33-4692-8F2D-A3C0D2B40B96.jpeg

Next, the bucks left G2. It comes off the beam and increases in wide as it goes up. It’s also longer to the fork than the bucks right side.
61BCD0DC-7643-4FE4-AF49-B1C9A7EAB52D.jpeg

6875B1D4-564D-478F-88BD-2A94F9AB3898.jpeg

Next, the right side. It’s a short distance from beam to the split. The width also increases from bottom to top.
BEEEBC89-02E2-44B4-9F93-E53C135EE37B.jpeg
BCA41B9C-6D6E-4EAD-B5DF-43840A470E11.jpeg

What do you guys think? Same buck? Obviously both bucks were in the same country.

No...The G4s on the velvet buck wouldn't have grown to the length of the hard horned buck. Also the right back fork on hard horned buck forks lower down.

Here’s that pic of the rocky landscape. The buck I photographed also lived about 4-5 miles as a crow flys from the outfitters camp who killed that buck. ?????
FF9EA63C-5F2C-4AFE-BB7E-DF165C161137.png

This is the only other tidbit to possibly match. Looks like “maybe” I can see the top edge in the dead buck pic.
I don’t know, I was just analyzing it and thought I’d see what others think.
EF92AA44-960C-41C7-8C11-C6ED63C674F1.jpeg

Here’s a question for you mule deer experts. You analyze antlers and share your thoughts. Is this the same buck?

We’ll start with eyeguards. The bucks right side eye guard on both bucks is about 2 inches. The right side is more of just a big bump.View attachment 23253View attachment 23254
View attachment 23255

Next, look at the ends of each main beam. The bucks right side is pretty flat looking. The left side sorta turns upward as it nears the end.
View attachment 23256
View attachment 23257
View attachment 23258

Next, the bucks left G2. It comes off the beam and increases in wide as it goes up. It’s also longer to the fork than the bucks right side.
View attachment 23260
View attachment 23259

Next, the right side. It’s a short distance from beam to the split. The width also increases from bottom to top.
View attachment 23261View attachment 23262

What do you guys think? Same buck? Obviously both bucks were in the same country.
Screenshot_20210123-091239_Samsung Internet.jpg
To me this brow tine is very telling and pretty unique. Its harder to see due to the blury picture and the velvet but they are the exact same shape in both bucks.

Well after over 50 years of hunting mule deer and having a passion for their antlers I consider myself an expert.
I also would consider Founder an expert and he’s looking at all the details correctly.
Along with all the other indications of this being the same buck I think the fat G4s are also an indicator.
I see no indications at all that these are different bucks.
Good work Brian!
Fun topic!

When I first saw this buck I was real impressed, then after looking at video I decided he wouldn’t improve enough to be of interest. The video/photos were July 20th.
If it’s the same buck, he ended more impressive than I would have thought.
I killed a buck one year that between July 31 and September 3rd, he grew nearly 5 inches on back forks.
If this is the same buck, he put on a nice chunk.
But that is always the challenge with scouting in July, is the guess on how much more they’ll grow. Still working on my craft!

When I first saw this buck I was real impressed, then after looking at video I decided he wouldn’t improve enough to be of interest. The video/photos were July 20th.
If it’s the same buck, he ended more impressive than I would have thought.
I killed a buck one year that between July 31 and September 3rd, he grew nearly 5 inches on back forks.
If this is the same buck, he put on a nice chunk.
But that is always the challenge with scouting in July, is the guess on how much more they’ll grow. Still working on my craft!
I've seen bucks absolutely blow up in August and others that dont do much at all. But if you think about it, I see bucks drop in January every year and have seen some still packing in late March. (seen one mature buck still packing in May once) So I think it really comes down to when they dropped their sheds determines when they finish off growth of their next set, And my own personal opinion is that the timing of their sheds dropping is timed by when they dropped as fawns from there mothers, witch is effected by when there mother was bred (first, second, third cycle) during the rut. Just a theory I have thought about with what I have observed over the years.

I think it is the same buck. Many similarities on the rack and general location of buck plus the gray rocks have me convinced unless someone can notices something that proves otherwise.

Another unique thing about this buck is the tip of the G1's. The left one curls up in both the velvet and hard horned buck. The right G1 finishes a little short and straight in both the velvet and hard horned pictures.

I also try to look at the ears to identify bucks. Nothing really noticeable from these pictures on the ears. There might be a possible small cut in the bottom right ear of the velvet buck. Do you have any other pictures of this deers ears.

I wouldn't expect a buck to put on that much tine length after July 20th but it is possible. I would expect a buck to only add an inch or two on the tip of each tine after July 20th. Assuming it is the same deer it put on on impressive 4"+ on the G2s and G3s after July 20th.

I find this type of investigation very interesting. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

I'm going with "same".

The right side front fork is the clincher for me.

The last two pictures in the first post tell the tale.

It sure looks like it based on the eye guards and that little kicker out the back as well as the rest of the tines lining up with the same curves, just amazing he put that much length on. My only hesitation is many bucks don't look as heavy when they come out of velvet and he looks heavier (probably just the photos) with way longer backs. He really grew. Any thoughts on his gross score and how many inches he put on?

There’s one thing that I’m the very best expert on and that’s the fact that I would have shot that “hard-horned” buck too.

Ya, same deer.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom