Is it time for the state of Arizona to change how it views guides & outfitters?

cactusbull7

Is it time for the state of Arizona to change how it views guides & outfitters?

*Please reply with your thoughts, here are mine...

Arizona is the only state in the west that does not distinquish between an outfitter and a guide. A simple 50 question test and $300.00 is the only thing stopping anyone from becoming an outfitter in the state of Arizona. Study the hand book for a day, pay $300.00 to the state, and you too can get your very own guide license and call yourself a professional outfitter overnight. By allowing such strict requirements (i am obviously being sarcastic) the AZGF has created hundreds & hundreds of guides with little to no experience branding themselves as professionals. This not only creates hundreds of small fragmented guide companies throughout the state, whom mostly are all trying to undercut each other, but more importantly it waters down the hunting experience for the unsuspecting client who hired said company with the presumption of having a level of professionalism, experience & expertise. By AZGF setting the bar so low, you now have a saturation of outfitters/guides in the market place with a very short list of clientele looking for an outfitter which obviously creates more supply than demand. While compitition usually is a good thing in the open market it only works if we are all playing by the same set of rules. Outfitters who do this full time or for a living, have a far greater struggle & ultimately cant compete with the guy who is doing out of his house as a hobby or to supplement his income. Often times the agreed upon price is so low that any full time reputable outfitter can't even come close to matching it. After all the young guide needs clients for his resume so he does the hunt himself, doesnt need to pay other guides or buy extra equimpment or gear. He doesn't by the liability insurance or get the necessary permits because that decreases his already small margins, and the odds of getting checked by the forest service are almost kneel. This doesn't happen in any other industry i know of. One of my best friends is a bug guy. He had to pass several crazy test, get licensed, bonded & be insured basically the whole 9 yards before he was officially allowed to spray chemicals for bugs. Because of this he charges a certain monthly price for his customers. This price is set by the market with other exterminating companies. If it was simple & easy without some kind of regulation he would be undercutted at every turn allowing unsuspecting clients to be taken advantage of. It is no different in our industry and therefore guide prices in Arizona should not be set by fly by night guides who do this as an after thought but rather by those true outfitters seeking to make a long term living. In states like Utah, New Mexico & Nevada you can't just become an outfitter overnight. You must work under a licensed outfitter or master guide for 3 years as an apprentice. Each state identifies the difference between outfitters & guides setting the price much higher for the outfitter than a guide. By doing this only serious guides who have aspirations & determination to become outfitters will take the necessary steps to achieve their goal & create a far better hunting experience for their client compared to a new unproven guide who just recieved his guide license for $300.00 & a test his 10 year could have past. These states also know that only the good reputable outfitters will last long term and the market will naturally weed out those that don't meet the mark. This allows for those good outfitters to set the value of what an oufitted hunt should cost & not the unregulated guides. For example a 5day fully outfitted hunt in Utah averages $6,000.00. This is several thousand dollars higher than Arizona but would not be the case if Utah allowed anybody to be an outfitter like Arizona does. By charging a higher fee and a having a better vetting system for potential outfitters will lead to a better hunting experience for the client & a better margin for the outfitter. All the other western states, minus Arizona, have some sort of guide coalition that represents them when petitioning the game & fish. This gives them the power to persway commissioners in their respective states. It's my belief that if the guides & outfitters who would like to see a change to how outfitters & guides are viewed by the state, would come together, put our grievances aside, we could make the necessary changes to make this happen.
Your thoughts?

Best Regards
Travis McClendon

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-17 AT 08:11PM (MST)[p]So what you're saying is there's to much competition!?!

Some of the states mentioned also have ?Outfitter tags? which IMO is BS! Why take it away from the average hunter, in which most cases are non-residents...Hard enough as it is! So if you in Arizona get what you've suggested will the ?Outfitter tags? request be next?!?

'Ike'

Bowhunter...

I wouldn't say competition more than I would say bad experience for unaware hunters especially non residents. Every non resident I talked to this year was unaware of the requirements to be a licensed guide in Arizona and all of them were very surprised.

All those states mentioned also have Landowner tags and guided tag set asides in the draw. Terrible idea for AZ. Things are fine the way they are. Anyone looking for a guide knows how to find a reputable one. They found you didn't they?

I agree with you on the ?experience? part Travis and hopefully, or you'd think a hunter will do his homework when picking a Guide or Outfitter...

'Ike'

Bowhunter...

Asking for opinions on here can be dangerous! But hey, I'll share mine!

Competition is good!

Any non-res should check references on outfitters/guides they are considering. Which includes references other than those provided by the guide, such as a posts on here.

With many areas in many states having few NR tags, I disagree with specifying "Outfitter Only" tags. The state is basically giving them a guaranteed income of several thousand dollars for each tag. Let the hunter make the decision..

Regarding an outfitters association, just search for WYOGA on here. Lots of spirited discussion about that!

He kind of exaggerated how easy it is. To become an outfitter legally in az you have to pass the test and then also have to have a fairly expensive insurance policy and then also have to get a forest permit which is difficult to obtain due to the time and paperwork. MOST outfitters in az do it the right way. A small number of people skip the right way and guide people without that necessary stuff. Game and fish and the forest service don't do a good job of checking these necessary permits which causes the problems. If they did their job it would fix the few bad guys doing it wrong.

Competition is a good thing, it controls cost yet there are disadvantages as well but gives a tag holder choices. If not for this option in AZ, I would bet your fees would be $10k for guiding, so I can see how you don't like this, but for the majority of hunters using a guide what your paying for is knowledge of the area.

Actually I haven't exaggerated it at all. You can absolutely get your guide license by paying $300.00 and passing the 50 question test. Once you have the license then you can decide either to work under someone that already happens to have the insurance and permits. This happens all the time because guides cant afford a liability policy so they pay the friend a little money to jump on his policy. Or the guide can get the policy very easy himself by walking into any insurance branch pay for the policy take that policy and give it to the forest service when filing for the permits.

I think the bug collector makes sense as he can kill people and pets. Occupational licensing is just a way for the bigger outfits to keep the new ones out in most businesses. I own a business and it might be nice to keep new startups out so I can make more money but too bad so sad it does not happen. If you can't compete then might as well pack it in as the next guy will take the job. It is a buyer beware world.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

GREAT POST

I am guessing you might see more ideas shared on here if the essence of your post wasn?t . . . ?all the small guys are keeping the big guys from making a living.?

In my opinion a licensing process for outfitters, above and beyond guides licensing would be beneficial. But no, I don't think it's primary purpose should be to reduce competition.

I honestly think with trail cams not being allowed at water sources soon, guides are in for a rough one. I don't think guides will hold much value much like 10+ years ago before trail cams. There will always be a few top guides, but the value of them is about to severely take a hit...

Its up to the consumer to do their homework and select a guide that brings value (area and animal knowledge, expertise, experience). Its up to the guide/outfitter to differentiate themselves and present their value-add proposition. I don't see a need to make an "Outfitter" designation. There are many great honest guides out there who take just a few hunters a year and have full time jobs as well. Or who are semi-retired and do it as an income-hobby. What is wrong with that? Just sounds like you are crying because you want to be able to charge more for your Arizona guided hunts and want a more exclusive club than you have now.

Contracting is not that much different. I would know. Contractors are a dime a dozen. You have to prove you are better, once you do, you can have customers lined up to pay more than anyone else can charge.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-18 AT 10:47AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-18 AT 10:45?AM (MST)

Just what we need in this country, more regulations to keep the little guy from trying to start their own business/follow their dream. I just don't think it's the governments job to restrict competition just so outfitter can make enough money in a few months to support themselves for the entire year.
Lately, it seems many feel almost entitled to work their passion/hobby. Which is why Wildlife Biologists, Hunting/Fishing guides, ski instructors, etc. generally don't make good money - just too big a pool of people. I found this out the hard way after going to college for wildlife biology...
I'd say it's up to the client to do their homework.

You have a unique perspective on this subject since your family has been outfitting in AZ for generations. If things need fixing in your opinion I would vote for a closer look. Just wanted to say it was a pleasure for my family in 2014 when we booked some great guides through Arizona Elk Outfitters. Thank you Travis and I hope you get action on this issue.

J Volk

LAST EDITED ON Jan-28-18 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]I've had more than enough guides unethically screw up some of my hunts that I've been on. I also think that they charge more than enough for a hunt.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom