Is it worth going hunting in grizzly country?

How is it hunting in areas where there are grizzly bears? What do you do to avoid them? What do you carry for protection?

I guess it depends on the person. We had a sow with two cubs just a bow chip shot away on the stalk for my elk; but we waited until they moved on, shot the bull (which they buried overnight before stealing a backstrap), and the grizzlies just added to the adventure. I'd do it again.

To answer your questions:

1). It can be just as good or just as bad as anywhere else
2) Using common sense. You see a grizz don’t hug it.
3) Protection? I’ve had a vasectomy but if I’m in Wyoming I carry rubbers

I dont mind it. You have a bigger chance of getting in car wreck or a horse accident. Speaking of horses i like them best for griz country. They are aware or danger before humans. When i was 16 my dad let my buddy and i hunt in grizzly country for 4 days and its all about respect. Clean camp.... i did get a nice bull with my bow and while quartering the elk we watched the surroundings. Paid attention to how the horses were acting.

Here is some griz we ran into while on my dads late season elk hunt. 2 grizzlies were on a dead elk. We rode 70 yards below them before we saw one come charging at us. When i say charge he went a full 15 yards from his kill and stopped. He was letting us know we were to close. So we backed out
20201121_224555.jpg

20201120_094841.jpg

Last edited:
You do need to be wary, especially when cutting up downed game but I've not lost a ton of sleep in bear country. We parked the horses about 300yds from this guy to climb after that guy on foot. (He was sitting on a wolf kill so had incentive to stay put). ;)

20191106_133044.jpg

20191106_130658.jpg

You have a higher probability of getting stabbed or shot in Billings MT on any given night then you do getting mauled or killed by a griz while hunting anywhere in the state. I am more weary going out to dinner in Billings then I am in a tent in western Montana.

You have a higher probability of getting stabbed or shot in Billings MT on any given night then you do getting mauled or killed by a griz while hunting anywhere in the state. I am more weary going out to dinner in Billings then I am in a tent in western Montana.
If Billings is that bad, in Browning you are going to die. mtmuley

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom