Is the dream of a quiet mule deer rifle hunt dead in CO?

Outdoors

Looking for some tranquility and a chance to bump into several 150 class or better bucks without putting up with ATVs full of elk and deer hunters zooming by every few mintues. Is the dream dead in Colorado? Any units out there that are not crowded and not full of ATVs?

I do not think it is dead as long as you are willing to pack in and do some work . There are quite a few places left you can get into and some of them do not take that many PP's .

I think its funny that you only mention ATVs because I have only had problems in Colorado with road hunters in their Pick-Ups. The unit I normally hunt has roads all over and it seems that the most popular way to hunt it is to put as many miles on the old truck as possible. I was on 2 different big bucks last year that got screwed up by road hunters, one was shot right in front of me off the guys tailgate! I am sure there are lots of units that have what you are looking for, but stay away from the ones with oil and gas exploration because they have cut roads everywhere.

Just hunt wilderness!

No motorized travel allowed, thats gonna keep most hunters away and you will see lots of game.

You just have to be physically prepared to hike & pack on your back......unless you have horses.

Really depends on when and where you are hunting. There luckily are some places to get away from the crowds. Besides the obvious method of getting away from the road, understand that lasting in that country is a mental and physical challenge that a lot of hunters are not up for. Out-doing other hunters can be just as important as out-doing a big ol' buck. Find a chunk of land that offers some physical barrier (whether steep or a long pack, or both) that many will not be willing to cross, that also offers the necessities a buck will be after. Finding these spots on a map is a good idea. Also, set the whole season aside to hunt, that way you can be in the hills when a lot of other hunters might have to leave. Weekdays are often great days to be in the hills. Combine that with the fact that you are a physical machine that can outlast most others hunters, that you have the will-power to spend more than 2-3 days pounding ground in remote country, and the patience to hunt that area effectively based on conditions present.

I agree with all the other posts. I hunt in one the most heavily hunted units of the state and if you have the balls and mental toughness to get away from the road into some nasty holes you can have the place to yourself.

Man up! Thats one of my top 3 criteria for a hunting spot. I ask, "Can someone ride a quad there?" If you can someone has and will continue to do so. It is really not difficult to find a spot where quads can't go. Might be that you have a spot and don't want the quads to be there anymore? Those POSs are here to stay.

Old, fat, crippled and slow as I am, a 45 minute hike from the truck seldom fails to put me in a spot where I am alone all day.

I can see "pumpkin people" in my spotter, but they are generally way out of my comfort zone.

I can do that here in Ca, most of the time, but it is easy in Colorado.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-09 AT 00:29AM (MST)[p]most of the places i have been that are an hour's walk away from a road, i've normaly been alone.

I agree with buckspy on this one.Bucks don't grow up to be Big by taking up residency by a heavily used 4 wheeler trail. If you got iron lungs, good boots, and mental toughness, there are plent of spots in the CO back country to kill a slammer buck.

Mike

I am in best shape of last decade due to prep for AK goat hunt in early Oct. Generally, I try to use brains before brawn...but am happy to use brawn when that is the smart thing to do. Have never hunted CO and live 16 hours away so scouting is difficult and have no prior knowledge of any of the CO units. I did spend some time this week overlaying harvest rates with the number of deer and elk hunters in each unit.

I appreciate the advice and look forward to hunting for a mule deer this fall. I have vacationed in Colorado and have always enjoyed waking up with the mountains and prairie all around. Best of luck to all of you this autumn.

Hey-pm me Outdoors. Too computer stupid to figure out how to initiate it but can reply to one. Have info you may be interested in.

Not sure, but I think Outdoors is looking for a unit with less tags? Less tags and more tranquility? I would seriously look at Gunnison or 44? I would research the winter kill first and if it is coming back or not as bad as advertised? Maybe even a voucher with private access is what he wants? 4th season?

Good luck. Sometimes our bodies give up and we cannot hike into the roughest and most rottenest crap God put on the earth. jcmuleys might be able to help you Outdoors?

I've spent alot of time in 55 this summer, and I think the winter kill was that bad last year. Maybe 54 or 44 is better, but I'd save points for a few years.

One thing about Colorado is it offers some hunting for all types of hunters. With the vast changes in terrain across the state there is something for everyone.
I don't think that the dream is dead in Colorado. I do think that the way that people hunt has changed. Some for the better and some not. But bottom line is there are units in Colorado that you can buy leftover tags in that you can kill a 150-160 buck in. All of the state is draw only for deer so your deer hunters are limited. So the more points that you have you will be able to hunt an area that has less deer hunters. Most of the units have unlimited elk hunters so you often do have loads of people hunting elk.
I have a few questions for you. Do you have any preferance points? What part of the seasons would you like to hunt? Early or Late? Rile? Muzzle loader?
There is great opprotunity in Colorado!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-09 AT 10:42AM (MST)[p]JC,

Have 6 points now for CO deer.

I picked up a GMU 70 Muzzleloader voucher this week. Is 17 hour drive from NW so will not be scouting ahead of time. I will use this muzzie hunt to scout around public land a bit and learn the unit. I will then try to draw 70 in the future.

As for this muzzie hunt, I have some private land with a bit of hay to hunt as part of the voucher. One of my goals is to see some bucks even if small so can get some experience field-judging age and horns. I grew up hunting whitetails so is a bit different judging mule deer.

Look forward to actually hunting in Colorado for the first time. Spent a lot of time there on business trips and a few vacations but never on a hunt.

Thanks everyone.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom