Is there public land hunting in Wyoming?

P

Pahunter106

Hello,
As I have stated from countless other posts, I am very new to the concept of hunting out west, and was wondering if there was public land hunting in Wyoming and if the prospects are good for a self guided bowhunt? Somewhere near Yellowstone or some other national park, would be ideal, but since I do not know the state very well, I wonder if this is even possible??? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just read about a hunting trip near Yellowstone and the price made my wallet weak in the knees, let alone all the tipping you have to do to the cook, the guide and whomever else? I can tip the guide, but the cost of the trip, made it an impossibility for me to even consider. How easy is it to rent horses once in the state? Is the license there on a draw system as well?
thanks,
Scott

Region H has some good deer and elk hunting and is near Yellow Stone ,I got a moose in the area in 2002 and saw several deer while hunting the area.Lots of public land.

Lots of public land all over the state, just need to get some maps for the area you are interested in there.

Brian

Thanks guys,
I was curious about anyone who may have done a hunt there. I was hoping to do a do-it-yourself hunt with Archery equipment, but did not know, and frankly still don't, how I am supposed to get a tag? Is it a draw hunt? Are all of the western states draw type hunts? I was really hoping that if I could not find a cheaper way to go, in archery by camping along the trail, that I would do a rifle hunt.
I wanted to take my brother out there with me, at some point and it would be good to have one hunt under my belt, so that I could show him what I actually accomplished and get him stoked about getting in shape to do this. Even if I only took a cow!! Or the other option was for both of us to go out there at the same time, equally not knowing anything, and work it out among ourselves.
So I told him, that if he would agree to go, and I could afford it, I would pay for his tag. That along with all of the new and higher priced equipment I am going to have to buy, was going to make the hunt pricey, to say the least.
I figure at the minimum, I am going to have to outlay about $2000.00 for good 10X42 Leica's or Swarovski's, then I am going to have to outlay at least $1200.00 for a left handed rifle in a caliber say, 300 Win Mag, that he can shoot that is actually capable of knocking the life out of a bull elk. About $400.00 - 600.00 for a rangefinder, we could share that and then maybe still hire a guide for the two of us. What do you think?
Of course I was forgetting hiring a few horses to get us into the back woods and getting the meat out.
I buy good equipment and so have some of the stuff already, but my bro is not so inclined to hunting that he actually gives much more than the Kmart brands a good look over. I am sure that he will only want to use the same 7X42 Swift binos that he has always used, and trust me you don't nit pick him when it comes to these things, since he is a redhead, it just does not make much sense.
Thanks,
Scott

So I will defer my opinions to you guys, where would there be a lot of public land that would be a good first time public land hunt?
where could I score a decent or respectable 5X5, or how should I gauge a trophy? I am all new to this.
Thanks,
Scott

There is lots of public land on the west side of the state where you can hunt an elk and have a good chance of getting one. Guided is good especially for someone as new as it sounds like you are. But lots of DIY elk are killed. Units,89,90,94, 102,& 104 are popular areas due to lots of road access close to the elk. You will need to put in for your elk tag next month in January. Go to the WYG&F website from the leak on the home page of this website for information. If you apply for a general area you have good chances of getting a tag next year. It is easy to rent horses but, you can bow hunt a lot of areas without horses if you are willing to backpack your elk out via several trips. I hunt elk on horses to help get further off the roads and to reduce the work when we kill one. Other than that the horses stay tied up and we hunt on foot after reaching an area. There are lots of good books out there you can read to get info about bow hunting on public land from websites like Eastman's.
WYHunter

Thanks for the information.
Do you ever have to worry about anyone raiding your camp while you are out hunting? I mean I know some of these places are out of the way, but I would hate to have the camp raided if we, my brother and I, were out hunting, and we came back only to find his truck was broken into, or something along those lines. I don't wish to sound paranoid, but this would be the first time, that we were to ever do something like this, so if horses get you further off the road, then perhaps that is the way to go with us.
The getting in shape part.. That is where we both need to spend some time. We are used to driving the truck right to where we shot an animal and not dragging it very far, so in order for us to be able to pack out an elk, I imagine we are talking about 150 lbs. or more per trip of boned out meat. I am guessing that 5-600 lbs is about all one would get from an elk; minus the cape and head and horns, right?
Scott

It is rare that anyone raids your camp or does harm to your vehicles in the areas we are talking about. I would not worry about that. You do want to be in good shape to hunt elk espeically if doing it without horses. If you haven't been arounds horses alot or hunted with them before I do not recommend that you try horses without the help of someone with alot of experience.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-07 AT 06:30AM (MST)[p]Most bull elk you will find weigh about 500-550 pounds and you will get about 250-275 pounds of deboned meat.
I only hunt for cow elk and can pack one out in two trips in most areas.

Thanks WYhunter, and Rem308,
I was hoping that you were going to say that, about the raiding stuff. It was just that I try to keep track of everyone that has written me, or written stuff about their experiences hunting, and when I heard about that guy from Utah, I think it was, that got ripped for a hunt where the outfitter never hired a guide until the last possible moment and he and his dad never even saw a trophy animal, or was it any animals at all...?? I am not sure. But they outlayed some serious cash and the outfitter never tried to make it right with them. That is what got me to thinking about being robbed and the like.
It is interesting to hear that all an elk weighs is about 500-550 lbs. I would have thought that they weighed more than that. We have some here in PA, but not anywhere near the population that you guys have out west. The whole state puts on a raffle, and raffles off about 35 licenses a year, but to me it is too much like shooting fish in a barrel. Where are they really going to go? There are far too many houses and roads all around, and I don't think that they really realize that they are being hunted, or else they would move deeper into the state forests that are close by, you know. In fact that is what really got under my skin, two years ago.
I went up to Elk County, Benezette to be exact; with my church men's group, and I was only going to stay for a few hours. Then I heard my first bugle from one of our mostly domesticated elk herd. They were bugling all over the valley and way up on top of the hills, and all over! {There are only about 900 of them, and they have names for most of the bulls.} It sent chills up and down my spine, and put goose bumps on my arms. I stayed all night, and slept in one of my friend's camper, sleeping on his kitchen table. They did not stop bugling until 3:00AM in the morning, and I swear that the last one was right outside my tent camper!! It scared me clean off the table and onto the floor.
I woke up the next morning bright and early at 07:00AM when I had to get up to go to the facilities. When I turned the corner around the crabapple tree there were 30 cows surrounded by two ( what do you call them?) sentinel bulls with an 8X9 rack and the other had a 7X7 rack, and they were getting ready to throw down; not 200 yards from where we were camping. It was a sight I know I will never forget. WOW!! To really see them in the wild in whatever state would certainly be something. I had no idea that the cows chirped like that until I saw a Primos video.
Thanks,
Scott

Have you considered Colorado for elk?Lots of public land and lots of elk.Good access and easier to draw a license.

Actually I have considered hunting in Colorado. I just figured that the only way I could cut down on the crowds was to either go to a less popular state, or go with my archery equipment. I am all for giving up the rifle aspect of things, but then my brother is not a bow hunter.
I find that so weird to say, even though I know it to be true. Just a few years ago, I was ready to give up hunting all together, here, because of the crowds, but my friend convinced me that I needed to give archery a try. I did and had the most fun ever, and did not freeze doing it. I was so stoked when I got to within 40 yards of a buck, that I was almost besides myself with absolut elation, and had I practiced out beyond 25, I would have tried a shot at it. That has changed since I changed to one of the newer bows; I regularly shoot at 30 yards and occasionally practice at 45.
I am sure that I probably overlooked most of my camo will have to be changed out, since I wear stuff that is ok for around here, but not for the openness of the west. So that is about $300.00 more that will need to be spent. My brother, will have to take up Archery or be left behind, I think. I can probably get him a deal at a new bow shop that opened up not far from us. The owner has an Allegiance that is left handed and would be perfect for him, in fact it is faster than the bow I currently shoot, but my bro may need that extra speed, if he doesn't buy new camo. LOL, just kidding. You have to know him. When I grew out of my coverall suit in blaze orange, he got it, and has been wearing ever since high school, which was 24 years ago. It is thread bare and ready to be burned.
Which is why I told him that I am going to be buying him new boots. Boots made to take the punishment of the terrain, and not boots that were built and assembled in China, just because they were cheap. I was thinking of the Danner Elk Hunter's that have no insulation, if I can convince him to go with a bow, and the other ones with at least 400 grams of Thinsulate, if we had to go with a rifle. They hold up pretty well don't they?
I bought a pair of Danner Canadians and I love them.
Thanks.
Scott

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-07 AT 05:39AM (MST)[p]I agree that you will find crowds in Colorado.I have archery hunted there and also muzzleloader hunted and rarely saw another hunter.Rifle hunting is a different story ,it is like hunting at the shopping mall.Camps and hunters everywhere.
the state does hold alot of elk,but finding them is not easy.I hunted an area this last fall that I have hunted several times and this year I never saw an animal.A drop camp from a reputable outfitter will put you into elk country and the success percentage is alot higher than a DIY hunt.Most outfitters are in the $1200 range in ptice.I do DIY hunts but have used outfitters in the past,they just got to high priced for me, now I am retired and have more time to scout an area myself.
The only problem with hunting Wyoming is drawing a license in a productive area , I have applied there several times and never drew an elk tag ,so I stick to hunting Colorado.

I hunt general tag areas in Wyoming (which is an relatively easy tag for a nonresident to draw) and have killed a 6 point bull 14 of the last 20 years. The other years I have either killed or passed on smaller bulls. Granted the biggest one has been a 315 bull and the others between about 250 and 300. But for me that is productive hunting and I have loved taking my son with me and watching him get to kill rack bulls the last three years also. I dream of killing a 400 bull in a state like Utah but I would not give up all those hunts so I can hunt only every 15 to 20 years like is the case in Utah. But to each his own.

I think either CO or WY would be good choices for a new elk hunter.

Thanks guys,
I never really asked you guys, but are you residents of the state? The only reason that I ask is that I imagine that all the western states have tourist seasons and that hunting falls into one of those categories.
I remember when I got there near Little America or somewhere around one of the interstates, it has been quite a while now, and I don't exactly remember when or where exactly. Anyway, I was at a TA and the announcement was just made on the TV, that the interstate was closed to all traffic, when the waitress switched our menus, right after I had ordered, and that was the first time I spent $16.00 for eggs, toast, bacon, and homefries!
All I am saying is that no matter where I go, it seems that businesses are anxious, willing and even encouraged to take advantage of people, given the circumstances. Just wondering if you did any preseason scouting for elk, or Mule Deer and noticed the same thing? I am not saying that it does not happen most places, even in PA, as that is how most states make there revenue. We are all Americans, and yet we still pay sometimes exhorbitant fees that locals get or can avoid, simply because they live there and know where to go, or not to go.
I am just trying to eliminate any added expenses for my brother and I, that maybe we should or could avoid if we just planned for it more carefully. Like what could I expect to pay, reasonably for two horses per day? Or what could I expect to pay to have our meat processed and wrapped? Or should I bring my own knives? And if we camp, are there grocery stores where we can buy our grubstake? OR should we prepare to shop in a more populous state for the essentials? And then just buy milk eggs and the perishables as we get the chance?
Thanks,
Scott

We used to buy all our grocery when we would get to our hunting area,but I refuse to pay double or even triple the cost,so now we buy the things we know we will need at home and pack them with us.
I had a cow elk processed ,the cost was $250 and an antelope for $85. Both of these prices are kind of high compared to here in Michigan.Now we pack our meat on dry ice in big 150 quart coolers and drive home and cut them up myself.
I used to pull a camper out to stay in ,then we have stayed in motels,now we stay in a tent and I only hunt early seasons,most of my hunts are in September.To some that may not be productive time of year ,but the camping and hunting is more enjoyable to me.
I usually do a combo hunt for two animals,one is antelope and the other elk or deer.I hunt for the elk first ,then the antelope or deer.
I have hunted Wyoming and Colorado 26 of the last 27 years and no plans of quiting .
The last couple of years I only hunt for the girls,I have enough horns on my walls .Doe antelope or deer and a cow elk,hard to beat the meat from a cow elk!

I am a WY resident from the western side of the state and have lived in the Rocky Mtn area all of my life, which is now just over 50 years. I harvested my first elk when I was 16 (the first year I was legal to hunt elk) and have enjoyed many great hunts in the west since I was a boy. Nearly all have been DIY and all on a limited budget.

Groceries in our area are about the same price as most other places. All the reputable businesses charge residents and nonresident the same price to rent horses, rooms, process meat, etc. I like to cut up all my own game meat. I think the dry ice and cooler idea is a good recommendation. You can bring food with you in the cooler and take meat back if you want to.

Some locals resent nonresidents just like some people do in any state but that is just life. Most locals however are friendly and helpful to people who are not from the area. To be honest some of the least friendly hunters I have run into have been a handful of bad attitude nonresidents. Then some nonresidents I have met have been the best folks too.

PAHunter: I live in West Virginia and have been hunting DIY in Wyoming almost every year since 1997. It took me several years to figure out how to hunt out west but it was worth the time, effort, and money spent as hunting out west and especially in WY is unlike anything you could imagine hunting in the east. As others have said, I have no plans on quitting any time soon. The two weeks I spend in WY each fall is the best two weeks of the year IMO. The rising costs of gasoline and licenses just make me more creative in finding ways to save money. When gas hit $3.20 a few weeks ago, my hunting buddy who has been to WY with me 3 times called and asked what would the gas price be when I couldn't go any more. My answer was I hope it doesn't get that high because I have no plans for not going back in 2008. My point is this... put in the time and effort to figure out the details and you will be rewarded for it. The first thing you need to do is decide on a specific location, then call the biologists and game wardens and get specific information about the area you are looking at hunting. Scouting is the one area where easterners are at a big disadvantage. If you can't make a trip out west in the summer to scout, the best thing to do is to go as many days early as you can and scout before you start to hunt. If you can afford to go 4-5 days early and scout morning and evening, you will have a big advantage when the season opens. You can fish, hike, sightsee, etc. during the day. PM me if you want to. I will be glad to give you some of my experiences although I will never give up my honey hole. LOL.

Tim
Searchin' for a 4 X 4

I have heard of a few instances where camps and vehicles were vandalized. The instances involved non-residents.

One involved a group that was leaving trash, crap and toilet paper everywhere. Another instance was a result of a group of non-residents helping themselves to a bunch of precut and split firewood that was put up before the season. Another instance involved a group of non-residents who set up their camp right next to an outfitters camp.

These things do happen but they are usually provoked in some way by disrespectful or unthinking people.

Mind your manners, be respectful of others and I doubt you will have a problem.

I've hunted Mont 6x's, Nv 6x's, Co 8x's, Ut 1x, Az 1x, Ore 3x's, Wy 1x, Id 4x's. In those 30 times the worst thats happened is some one wrote "go home" in the dust on my truck. And that was in the state where I've had the best interaction with other hunters and locals.

I do take off my front license plate while in Id. Won't even get a wave with Kali plates on.

On yea, being a sarcastic SOB, I wrote on the only truck around, "I am, with a 5x7 bull."

Funny about that license plate thing. That's the reason I use Oregon plates. Never a problem that way.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-08 AT 10:51PM (MST)[p]I think out of all the license plates you could use the California one would be the worst. Wyomingites hate cali's. Don't know if it's the gay or tree hugger thing, probably both.

By all means use anything but the california tag.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-08
>AT 10:51?PM (MST)

>
>I think out of all the
>license plates you could use
>the California one would be
>the worst. Wyomingites hate
>cali's. Don't know if
>it's the gay or tree
>hugger thing, probably both.
>
>By all means use anything but
>the california tag.

I misread your post. Thought you were talking about people instead of license plates. If that were the case, I'd say most of dispise Utards and idiots from Colorado the most. Guess their plates too since that's usually who's in the vehicle. Gotta like stirring the pot...

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom