It's Here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
After the lean months of ignoring the pro sports, my college football season finally starts tonight when #25 ASU hosts Southern Utah in Sun Devil Stadium.

The Devils are only a 45 point favorite over the T-Birds, so it could be a close game. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I have two. Go Buffs! Go Irish! Back in the day when the Buffs were good and the played each other, I had to pull for the Buffs.
"Go Irish" will be one of my chants in the future if I live that long. The quarterback of my HS, Bergen Catholic, is a senior and already committed to ND next year. His name is Steve Angeli & he has a canon for an arm. Also rated as the top QB in the tri-state area -- NJ/NY/CT.

BC is currently ranked 8th the country by Maxpreps & USA Today & #1 in NJ. Last week they traveled to Ohio & trounced Archbishop Hoban 42-7, which was then ranked #2 in that state. This week BC hosts Smyrna HS, ranked #2 in Deleware.

Jayden Bellamy, a Sr. defensive back, is also a ND committment.

This from last week in the ND Wire: QB Sets School Record

Last edited:
After the lean months of ignoring the pro sports, my college football season finally starts tonight when #25 ASU hosts Southern Utah in Sun Devil Stadium.

The Devils are only a 45 point favorite over the T-Birds, so it could be a close game. :rolleyes:

So are you a T-Bird or a Devil?

So are you a T-Bird or a Devil?
Since I live in AZ, I'm guessing I'm a Devil.

sundevil.gif

"Go Irish" will be one of my chants in the future if I live that long. The quarterback of my HS, Bergen Catholic, is a senior and already committed to ND next year. His name is Steve Angeli & he has a canon for an arm. Also rated as the top QB in the tri-state area -- NJ/NY/CT.

BC is currently ranked 8th the country by Maxpreps & USA Today & #1 in NJ. Last week they traveled to Ohio & trounced Archbishop Hoban 42-7, which was then ranked #2 in that state. This week BC hosts Smyrna HS, ranked #2 in Deleware.

Jayden Bellamy, a Sr. defensive back, is also a ND committment.

This from last week in the ND Wire: QB Sets School Record

He throws like I shoot geese. He seldom misses.

He throws like I shoot geese. He seldom misses.
Yup. Did you read the link? He was 14-16 with two TDs last week, and that was 14 in a row! The score was 42-7 with about 4 mins. left in the 3rd. quarter. By Ohio rules, the game went to a running clock & BC called off the dogs, thus using the entire bench for the rest of the game. Neither team scored.

Now, remember, back in 1958 a skinny 135 lb. weakling with #15 on his jersey scored the first TD in BC's history.

From the Bergen Evening Record Newspaper:
BCtd.JPG

From the 1959 BC Yearbook:
TD.jpg

Last edited:
Tony,
For a while I’ve felt some kinship beyond cooking, fishing, and hunting. I also went to an all boys Christian Brothers high school, Mullen High School in the Denver area, class of ‘69. I know something about where you are from.

Don’t worry, ASU can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Class of ‘83.

Incidentally, I know Ethan Long. He and my youngest went to grade/middle school together and played sports together for several years.

Tony,
For a while I’ve felt some kinship beyond cooking, fishing, and hunting. I also went to an all boys Christian Brothers high school, Mullen High School in the Denver area, class of ‘69. I know something about where you are from.
Kinship indeed. I & 119 other lads were the first graduating class that began in 1955.

I recently found out the current tuition at BC is $18K+ per annum. I can't recall what it was in 1955, but at today's price, I doubt I would have been a student there since my dad was a foreman on the assembly line for FoMoCo in Mawah, NJ.

Don’t worry, ASU can still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Class of ‘83.

Incidentally, I know Ethan Long. He and my youngest went to grade/middle school together and played sports together for several years.
Well they won 41-14, and should have won 60-0. The game was tedious to watch. ASU had 9 penalties for 106 yds. in the 1st qtr. alone! And that qtr. took more than an hour to play. Many of the penalties killed themselves & others let SUU keep the ball. They had better clean it up somewhat before they play a real football team.

Last edited:
Just wondering. I live in NM and I'm sure not a Larry or Lobo...
If I lived in NM, I wouldn't be a fan of either them, as well. :ROFLMAO:

It's sort of humorous here in Arizona that the state is really divided like the Conservatives vs the Liberals. ASU has a major contingent of fans, as does the U of A. The split is mostly geological, except for students of each that live in the competing areas, i.e. Tucson vs Phoenix. And then there are some loyal to NAU.

U of A sucks(n)

Im so sick of hearing “well at least we have medical school……blah blah blah”

:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
If anyone wants to watch GOOD high school football, tune into Bergen Catholic vs Smyrna HS. BC is ranked #1 in NJ & Smyrma is ranked #2 in Delaware.

Game starts at 11 a.m. AZ time, 2 p.m. EDT. You'll have to create an account but it's free.

Last edited:
GRR. My feed went down so I didn't see how they got to the 2 yd line before the score. Now 14-0 BC.

Last edited:
Now 45-6 & the clock will now be running. That's probably it for BC's first team, as well. The bench likely to finish it out with only 4mins. left in the 3rd quarter.

We lost power here until just now (I'm on my PC). I went there but I can't find the game. Probably because I'm an idiot.

The game is mercifully over for Smyrna. Final was 52-6. That should move my alma mater up next week from #8 in the U.S.

We lost power here until just now (I'm on my PC). I went there but I can't find the game. Probably because I'm an idiot.
I don't know if they have a replay available or not. Click the link again in the message & then the little guy in the upper right to log in.

On the broadcast, you don't get to see the fans because the bleachers are on the same side of the field as the camera. If I had to guess, tho, I say they likely had 4-5,000 people there. This is a photo of a tradition called the BC Crazies. They travel to all the road games, too.

1630788106318.png

A super spreader event? :eek::ROFLMAO:
Indeed. They just had a complete renovation of the field done two years ago or so with all new synthetic turf and brandy new locker room building right at field level.

These are the architect's rendering but I'm not sure how close they followed these plans.

1630790201591.png

1630790234718.png

A super spreader event? :eek::ROFLMAO:
ORADELL – Larue Linder, Bergen Catholic’s muscular senior tight end known more for his blocking, caught the first touchdown pass.

Speedy senior receiver Santino Correa caught the second TD pass thrown by standout senior quarterback Steve Angeli.

Junior Christian Carti caught the third TD toss, senior Ryan Butler the fourth, junior Saeed St. Fleur the fifth and sophomore Michael Delpome the sixth.

Bergen Catholic’s passing game was on full display during Saturday’s 52-6 victory over Smyrna of Delaware, punctuated by six Crusaders catching a TD pass.

“Our arsenal of receivers and skill backs are over the top,” said Angeli, whose Crusaders are No. 1 in the USA TODAY NETWORK New Jersey preseason Top 25 and No. 8 in the USA TODAY Super 25.

The Crusaders are New Jersey’s most talented team and are on a mission after they feel they were robbed of the No. 1 ranking in 2020. This may be the most-talented Bergen Catholic team ever, starring quarterback Steve Angeli (committed to Notre Dame) running back Ryan Butler (Princeton), and a stacked defense that returns nine starters including Jaeden Gould (USC) and Jayden Bellamy (Notre Dame).

Bergen Catholic picked up 422 of its 536 total yards in the air, with Angeli completing 14 of 15 passes for 360 yards and five TDs before taking a seat in the third quarter. Ten Crusaders caught passes.

Dang. That is impressive.
Yup. You won't find many HS QBs throwing for 360 yds in a bit more than a half. Over the 1st two games, he's 28-31. As you said earlier, he throws like you shoot geese. :ROFLMAO:

Not sure if I ever told this tibit here. The top rivalry in the tri-state area is BC vs Don Bosco Prep that began the year I played -- 1958.

A couple years ago, I decided to use On Demand to watch "The Pacific." So over the course of a couple nights I watched several episodes and eventually reached the final one – #10. The time period was obviously circa the mid-1940s when WWII ended. The episode's plot was the return home of the main character, Robert Leckie. That home happened to be in Bergen County, N.J. where his fictional dad was the editor-in-chief of the "The Bergen Record," an actual newspaper now known as "The Record.' It is also where I grew up.

The younger Leckie visited his father's office at the paper and made it clear he wanted to replace the current sports writer at the Record who wasn't doing a very good job. In response, his father asked when he wanted to start his new job. Leckie answered, (slightly paraphrased maybe), "This afternoon would be perfect. Bergen Catholic plays Don Bosco Prep."

DUH!!!

My credibility meter went crazy. Spielberg's script writers failed Research 101. Neither BC or DB had football teams in the mid-'40s.

As I have mentioned here a couple times, I attended BC as a member of its FIRST graduating class in 1959 & as a member of its FIRST football team, also scoring the FIRST touchdown in school history in 1958.

If that wasn't enough, DB did exist in the 1940s as a HS but didn't have a football program until the late 1950s.

But if it showed anything, it was at least one of the writers knew about the intense rivalry.

Yup. You won't find many HS QBs throwing for 360 yds in a bit more than a half. Over the 1st two games, he's 28-31. As you said earlier, he throws like you shoot geese. :ROFLMAO:

Not sure if I ever told this tibit here. The top rivalry in the tri-state area is BC vs Don Bosco Prep that began the year I played -- 1958.

A couple years ago, I decided to use On Demand to watch "The Pacific." So over the course of a couple nights I watched several episodes and eventually reached the final one – #10. The time period was obviously circa the mid-1940s when WWII ended. The episode's plot was the return home of the main character, Robert Leckie. That home happened to be in Bergen County, N.J. where his fictional dad was the editor-in-chief of the "The Bergen Record," an actual newspaper now known as "The Record.' It is also where I grew up.

The younger Leckie visited his father's office at the paper and made it clear he wanted to replace the current sports writer at the Record who wasn't doing a very good job. In response, his father asked when he wanted to start his new job. Leckie answered, (slightly paraphrased maybe), "This afternoon would be perfect. Bergen Catholic plays Don Bosco Prep."

DUH!!!

My credibility meter went crazy. Spielberg's script writers failed Research 101. Neither BC or DB had football teams in the mid-'40s.

As I have mentioned here a couple times, I attended BC as a member of its FIRST graduating class in 1959 & as a member of its FIRST football team, also scoring the FIRST touchdown in school history in 1958.

If that wasn't enough, DB did exist in the 1940s as a HS but didn't have a football program until the late 1950s.

But if it showed anything, it was at least one of the writers knew about the intense rivalry.
Have you ever been back? You would no doubt be given a seat in the front row of a game. They might even ask you to speak before a game.

Have you ever been back? You would no doubt be given a seat in the front row of a game. They might even ask you to speak before a game.
Oh yeah, several times. I attended both the 20 (1979) & 50 year (2009) reunions, plus I usually stopped at the school to visit one of my old Christian Bro. teachers who has since passed on.

At the 20 yr. reunion, they had big posters on the walls. One was the photo I had posted here from the yearbook of me scoring the TD.

The gal who did the almuni coordinating for the 50th liked my deep basso voice, so she tasked me with reading all the names of our deceased members when we had the mass in the school chapel in their honor. It was a pretty somber honor. The list has grown a bit too now that most of us are hitting 79-80+.

At the banquet, the emcee gave out one of the door prizes to someone who answered his question, "Who scored BC's 1st TD?"

I sat at the same table with my now deceased football coach. We made light of how bad that 1st varsity team was, given that the only one who had played organized ball was our QB. That was Pop Warner. ? Some of the rest the team had sandlot experience, though. In fact one of my good friends had broke his leg during one of our pick-up tackle games when we were sophs.

Before my football days, I was a cross-country runner in the fall, ranking in the 4-5 spot for our team in most races. But I was more of a sprinter, thus ran the 4x100 relay, both indoors & outdoors in the spring. I eschewed CC track to play football in '58. And throughout my illustrious athletic career, I was smoking Camels! :rolleyes:

So also at our table were two of my track buddies, Art Prior & Jack Mostyn. Art was an all-tri-state cross-country guy & ran the mile on the spring team in a bit over 4 min.

Mostyn tied the 9.3 sec. world record for the 100 yd. dash and ranked as one of the top sprinters in the country. The track coach wouldn't let Jack play football, though, because of the injury possibility. And then, he shocked the world....

1630881627334.png

Last edited:
1630887276182.png

This is a close-up of what I posted in the last repy:

Mostyn Passes Up Olympic Chance to Join Brothers

ORADELL - The announcement by Jack Mostyn of Bergen Catholic that he would give up a possible Olympic track career to enter the Irish Christian Brothers' novitiate at West Park, N.Y., on July 1 confirmed a rumor that had been common in New Jersey Catholic Track Conference circles for several months. It was also known that, if Jack changed his mind and decided to go to college, his first choice would be Notre Dame. But the spotlight of publicity focused on the smiling youngster by his 9.3 clocking at the Englewood Memorial Meet on May 17 brought his decision into the open a little earlier than was expected.

The ins and outs of the validity of Jack's record clocking are discussed elsewhere on this page. Sufficient to say here that he soundly defeated two of the best sprinters in the East, Jasper Washington of Cardoro High of Washington, D.C., and Art Lilly of Andrew Jackson High, New York. MOSTYN'S AMAZING performance capped the finest weekend NJCTC athletes have yet enjoyed since the conference was founded two years ago. Other prime developments were a 4:27.9 mile and 1:56 6 880 run by Ed Wyrsch of Seton Hall; a 186-BVi javelin throw by

THE INCREDIBLE part about Mostyn's fast clocking is that it Is doubtful that Jack has as yet rounded into full shape, following the broken foot bone he suffered this winter. This is proven by his third-place finish in the 220 at Englewood and by the 10.0 100-yard victory at the Essex Catholic meet the next day when he complained of stiff leg muscles.

Jack will run his last schoolboy race at Randalls Island on June 13 In the Eastern Interscholastic championships and, before that, will have opportunity for fast clockings at the NJCTC meet at Englewood on May 30 and the NJSIAA meet at New Brunswick in June.

Did He or Didn't He?

By Ed Grant

NEWARK -- Apropos of the controversy over the 9.3 100yard dash run by Jack Mostyn of Bergen Catholic at Englewood on May 1 it might be well to recall this anecdote about Jesse Owens, present holder of the national intersholastic record of 9.4.

Owens, who also ran that time In college, was once asked what was the difference between his high school 9.4 and his college 9.4 His answer was, “About five yards."

The chief reason why Owens’ high school mark was never submitted as a world's record —as was his college standard --was the same one that hangs like a shadow over Mostyn's rare feat, namely, the rest of the field was too close at the finish.

For while it’s quite possible that, every 25 years or so a high school sprinter will come along, like Owens or Mostyn, who can run on equal terms with the best collegiate and club athletes, it’s a little harder to believe that three other boys in that Englewood race suddenly became 9.5 and 9.6 sprinters, when their best previous times had ranged from 9.7 to 10.2. It should also be noted here that when Owens set the national record at 9.4 in 1933. he was 20 years old, rather superannuated as high school runners go. Dave Sime of Fair Lawn, who Is a co-holder of the present world’s record of 9.3 was not much older than that when he posted this mark as a junior at Duke University.

It is necessary to point out the Bergen Catholic star had nothing to do with the time attributed to him for the race. His part in the story began with the starter’s gun and ended when he broke the tape. If there Is any question about the time, it does not mar Jack's performance in the least. So far as the conditions of the race were concerned, they were just about perfect. There was no following wind the course was measured right after the race and found to be the correct distance, the watches used were first rate and in the hands of capable timers.

And Mostyn did not have the benefit of a rolling start. The closeness of the finish and the possibility that the gun smoke was not detected by the timers, definitely happened in later races that day.

But even if the timers missed the smoke and followed the sound of the gun, the margin of error at most would be a quarter of a second and Mostyn’s run would be 9.5 or 9.6. For a schoolboy -- particularly one who had his foot in a cast less than two months ago.

As Olympic champion Andy Stanfield always says., "It's not the times you run but the races you win and the men you beat." So many factors can alter times - wind, poor starters, poor timers. Still, 9.3 or a bit more, that clocking on May 17 was a tremendous performance by a truly great athlete’

Last edited:
All I did in high school was let the star running back on the football team copy the answers on tests so he could remain eligible to play. We were undefeated in our senior year. True story.

All I did in high school was let the star running back on the football team copy the answers on tests so he could remain eligible to play. We were undefeated in our senior year. True story.
Well at least you took one for the team.

When you asked about giving any mention, I forgot that one of the alumni had wanted to nominate me for the BC Hall of Fame. Although it would be an honor being alongside some of the notable grads of the past, I told him no way because there were a lot more that were more worthy than I was. Told him all I did was score a TD on a bad football team.

Oh, and I recall one other thing that sort of goes to your 'give a talk' comment.

In 2012, BC traveled to Las Vegas to play Bishop Gorman, one of Nevada's perennial powerhouse teams. So Ellen & I drove up on Weds. for the Fri. night game.

At the alumi gathering that night, I met Darren Cooper, who was there as the reporter for the The Record. The next morning at his request, he interviewed me by phone & wrote an article titled "BC Fan Made History" that appeared in the NJ paper on Fri. along with the game preview.

Then just before kick-off, the PA announcer introduced me to thunderous applause. :ROFLMAO: That's when I found out the gal & guy seated in front of me in the bleachers were the BC QB's (Joe Germano-- later QB for John Hopkins U.) parents. We had a fun time with them rooting BC on. .

Germano went on to shred Gorman's pass defense for 308 yards and three touchdowns, leading to a 42-35 win. At the time, BG was ranked #10 in the US & hadn't lost at home since 2006. It was also the first loss anywhere since 2010 & the only one that season. The BG senior QB for the game was Anou Solomon, who went on to be the starting QB for the U. of AZ. It was quite a coup because the game was televised nationally by FOX.

BG takes football pretty seriously, too.

1970 AAA State Champs
1974 AAA State Champs
1979 AAA State Champs
1980 AAA State Champs
1982 AAA State Champs
1983 AAA State Champs
2007 AAAA State Champs
2009 AAAA State Champs
2010 AAAA State Champs
2011 AAAA State Champs
2012 AAAA State Champs (the year BC beat them)
2013 Division 1 State Champs
2014 Division 1 State Champs
2014 National Champions
2015 Division 1 State Champs
2015 National Champions
2016 AAAA State Champs
2016 National Champions
2017 AAAA State Champs
2018 AAAA State Champs

As an aside, the Bishop Gordon stadium is one like you'll not see in too many places. The athletic building is equipped with a huge weight lifting area -- coated in Gorman blue and orange -- and is decked out with modern amenities.

Inside is a multi-lane, 60-yard track for speed training, a 90-seat meeting room for film study and study halls, a beautiful locker room with the Bishop Gorman "G" in the ceiling, a nutrition center and a hydrotherapy pool attached to the training room. On the outside, a 40-yard LED board lights up during game days.

The facility opened in July of 2012 and rivals many college programs' facilities, held back by only its size. The $100 million project was funded by donations from Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta, brothers who are heirs to the Station Casinos business. They also sold the UFC for $4 billion. Several Fertitta off-spring have attended BG.

Locker room
1630949625231.png

Weight room
1630949678265.png

1630947680872.png

Last edited:

National rankings by MaxPreps.com after week #2. BC moved up two notches & look who is right on their heels.

Tony, I know you're in Arizona and a sports fan. I just noticed the D-Backs are 45 games out of 1st place in the NL West. They're worse than the Rockies. :eek:

Pretty bad, eh?

I stopped watching games last year, so have no idea what the problems are. They appear to be many, tho. It seems they started going downhill after they traded Paul Goldschmidt a couple years back.

The Suns were almost as bad until this last season. And there's still little hope for the Cardinals or Coyotes.

Now you know why I look forward to ASU's & my high school's football games. :cool: ASU plays UNLV manana, & BC has a bye week.

Last edited:
I have been an IRISH fan since I was a kid. I’m originally from N. Indiana so it’s kind of funny that I ended up being the only ND fan in the family. GO IRISH!!! ☘️☘️☘️

I have been an IRISH fan since I was a kid. I’m originally from N. Indiana so it’s kind of funny that I ended up being the only ND fan in the family. GO IRISH!!! ☘️☘️☘️
Gunnihunter is also an Irish fan. I probably won't be around to see it, but you can look forward to Angeli leading the Irish in a year or two.

The last BC grad the Irish had at QB was Matt LoVecchio. He played there in 2001 & a bit in 2002 before transferring to Indiana for the next two years.

Gunnihunter is also an Irish fan. I probably won't be around to see it, but you can look forward to Angeli leading the Irish in a year or two.

The last BC grad the Irish had at QB was Matt LoVecchio. He played there in 2001 & a bit in 2002 before transferring to Indiana for the next two years.
Looking forward to it. ND will need a solid QB if they plan to be a serious threat in a few years.

Just don't refer to them as the "Fighting Irish" anymore as some cancel-karen declared it to be racist. Leprechaun mascot is bad too

Just don't refer to them as the "Fighting Irish" anymore as some cancel-karen declared it to be racist. Leprechaun mascot is bad too
You are probably right. This time next year, they will probably be saying “Here come the Catholics!” Lol

As a side note, I see the SF Giants clinched a playoff spot last night with the best record in baseball at 94-50.

As a side note, I see the SF Giants clinched a playoff spot last night with the best record in baseball at 94-50.
I hadn't a clue since I haven't checked the standings in more than a year. Good for the Giants, tho. I'd rather see them win the West instead of the Dodgers. I despise the Dodgers about as bad I hate Ohio State & U of A football. :ROFLMAO:

I'm been so out of the loop with MLB & NFL, I have no idea who is playing where or who the major players/stars are any more. I used to stay abreast of all that stuff. One reason is I stopped getting the local daily newspaper more than a year ago. Like every other media, it sank deep into liberal swamp. :mad: And...I no longer watch either on TV.

I hadn't a clue since I haven't checked the standings in more than a year. Good for the Giants, tho. I'd rather see them win the West instead of the Dodgers. I despise the Dodgers about as bad I hate Ohio State & U of A football. :ROFLMAO:

I'm been so out of the loop with MLB & NFL, I have no idea who is playing where or who the major players/stars are any more. I used to stay abreast of all that stuff. One reason is I stopped getting the local daily newspaper more than a year ago. Like every other media, it sank deep into liberal swamp. :mad: And...I no longer watch either on TV.
I canceled our local paper a few years ago too for the same reason. They keep offering me a digital subscription for $1/week. Nope!

I haven't watched pro ball in a couple years either. I went to the SF Giants website today and I only recognized a few players names. I was a huge fan for most of my life until they took a political stand that goes against everything I believe in.

I canceled our local paper a few years ago too for the same reason. They keep offering me a digital subscription for $1/week. Nope!

I haven't watched pro ball in a couple years either. I went to the SF Giants website today and I only recognized a few players names. I was a huge fan for most of my life until they took a political stand that goes against everything I believe in.
We are on equal footing in all of the above. I keep getting offers for 7 days per week of the paper version delivered for $13 per month! And then I'm getting email to sign up for the NY Times digital dealie for $1 per week. Fat chance of that happening. I just recently blocked that address as spam.

I many cases, if you have a browser that allows for private browsing, you can read newspapers online without subscribing. Usually, a site offers a limited # of articles for 1st time readers. With private browsing, there are no cookies or tracking done. I use MSN Edge, which has that function, and can access the AZ Republic if I need to. Each time I go to read something (usually something on ASU football), it tells me I have same # of articles that I had when I started.

We are on equal footing in all of the above. I keep getting offers for 7 days per week of the paper version delivered for $13 per month! And then I'm getting email to sign up for the NY Times digital dealie for $1 per week. Fat chance of that happening. I just recently blocked that address as spam.

I many cases, if you have a browser that allows for private browsing, you can read newspapers online without subscribing. Usually, a site offers a limited # of articles for 1st time readers. With private browsing, there are no cookies or tracking done. I use MSN Edge, which has that function, and can access the AZ Republic if I need to. Each time I go to read something (usually something on ASU football), it tells me I have same # of articles that I had when I started.
Our paper has a very limited edition for free. It has public service announcements and local obituaries and that's about it. I check the obituaries once in awhile to see if my name is in there. So far, so good.

Our paper has a very limited edition for free. It has public service announcements and local obituaries and that's about it. I check the obituaries once in awhile to see if my name is in there. So far, so good.
This isn't quite the obits, but it's where I often go to catch up on AZ Sports. It's all free.

Last edited:
I got it....I clicked and logged in....."begins in 20 hours....."

I might be up hunting if we get rain....90% chance but, clear sky now....
I hope the feed is a lot better than the last time.

Good luck if you go hunting instead. I would make that choice too -- if I could.

I hope the feed is a lot better than the last time.

Good luck if you go hunting instead. I would make that choice too -- if I could.
Forgot. If you watch the NB vs OK game manana, one of the NB running backs, Rahmir Johnson, is also a BC alumnus. Not sure how much he'll play, tho.

From one site:

There’s Johnson, a 3-star guy from Bergen Catholic High School in New Jersey. As a senior in high school, he ran for 1,334 yards and 12 total touchdowns behind seven 100-yard performances. At 5-foot-10, 185-pounds, Johnson’s versatility as an improved pass-catcher provided some added interest, but Nebraska’s talked a lot about needing to see consistency from Johnson before giving him a bigger role.

I'll keep updating this message for the Bergen Catholic (#1) Vs Delbarton (#3)game.

Two mins. into game -- 7-0 BC

End of 1st Q -- 7-0 still, BC on DB's 7 yd. line 1st & 10.

Now 14-0BC. DB best play sso far has been a 5-yd. of-side penalty against BC.

DB just had a good drive with 7 mins. in the 1st half. Missed the PAT. Now 14-6 BC

Getting tight. DB just scored again. Now 14-13. 6 mins. left in 1st half. Angeli not real sharp today.

Halftime -- BC 14-13

Last edited:
I'll keep updating this message for the Bergen Catholic (#1) Vs Delbarton (#3)2nd half.

DB gets ball, throws another pick. BC ball on own 30.

BC punts. DB on own 30.

BC scores again with a long run from scrimmage. BC 21, DB 13

DB scored on long pass to make it 21-19 BC ahead. Then BC scored to go up 28-19.

After the ensuing kickoff to DB, BC gets another INT. BC now on DB's 38 yd. line. End of 3rdQ.

5 mins. to go. DB punted. BC ball on own 40. Still 28-19

BC fumble. DB with ball on BC 45

DB misses FG attempt. BC ball on 25 with 2:50 to go.

It's all over. BC wins 28-19. That should keep them as #1 in NJ & in the top 10 nationally.

congrats2.gif

Last edited:
In one of the most bizarre comebacks in football history, Hamilton HS in Chandler, AZ scored 17 points in the final 1:10 min. to defeat the 7th rated team in the country, Bishop Gorman of LV.

Big game today, starting at 4 pm. our time. Bitterest rivalry in NJ that started in 1958. It's available online for $5 at https://bergencatholicfootball.com/watch/?Live=15&type=Live

BERGEN CATHOLIC CRUSADERS (3-0) at DON BOSCO PREP IRONMEN (1-2), 7 p.m., Friday at Granatell Stadium, Ramsey. (PART III)
*****THE FINAL INSTALLMENT*****
**THE RIVALRY BY THE NUMBERS**
75th meeting all-time vs. Don Bosco Prep.
32-40-2 all-time record.
Last meeting: L 20-21, 11/14/2020.
Last meeting, postseason: W 35-17, 11/17/2019, Non-Public Group 4 semifinals.
Last 10 seasons: 6-10, including postseason.

Halftime. Still 10-0 BC. Will update this one later.

4th quater starting. BC ball on their own 40. Still 10-0.

BC on DB 4 yd line 1 &10 wuth 6 mins. left

1st & goal - TO DB

17-0 BC DB on its own 20 yd. line after KO

DB punts. BC on own 25

long run, BC on DB 24, 1st & 10 TO DB 2 mins. left

FINAL 17-0 BC. Now 4-0 as #1 in NJ. Despite their record, DB was ranked #8 in NJ.

The two schools have 30 state titles combined since they started the rivalry.

Last edited:
Eel,

Rutgers vs Michigan on right now. A couple Rutgers players are from BC, including back-up QB Johnny Langan. Michigan DB, Jordan Morant also from BC. Not sure how many are in starting line-ups.

Also, the Rutgers' tight ends coach is Nunzio Campanile. He's in his fourth season on the Rutgers coaching staff. He served as the interim head coach and offensive coordinator for the final eight games of the 2019 season. A native of Fair Lawn, New Jersey, Campanile previously spent eight seasons as the head coach at Bergen Catholic. Vito Campanile, the current BC coach, is his brother.

Last edited:
ND pulled off a crazy win with a 31 point rally in the 4th quarter.
If their offensive line doesn’t improve, they don’t have a shot at playoffs. Any team with a stacked offense that can hang big points will take them out.

ND pulled off a crazy win with a 31 point rally in the 4th quarter.
If their offensive line doesn’t improve, they don’t have a shot at playoffs. Any team with a stacked offense that can hang big points will take them out.
I watched that game. The Catholic boys did good. Man, that one running back is a speedy dude.

I watched that game. The Catholic boys did good. Man, that one running back is a speedy dude.
Unfortunately I had to work & got to the hotel minutes after it ended. I would have liked to watch the last 5 minutes. It appears, that is when everything unraveled for Wisconsin.
Im guessing you are talking about Chris Tyree? Yeah he’s fast if he can get some open grass in front of him.

This is the USA TODAY Sports Super 25 high school football rankings for Sept. 28, 2021. They didn't change from last week since no one lost.

1. Mater Dei (Santa Ana, Calif.)

Record: 3-0; Last Result: def. La Mirada 58-7.

2. IMG Academy (Bradenton, Fla.)

Record: 5-0; Last Result: def. Springfield Central 49-0.

3. St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)

Record: 5-0; Last Result: Idle.

4. Westlake (Austin, Texas)

Record: 5-0; Last Result: def. Del Valle 63-6.

5. Thompson (Alabaster, Ala.)

Record: 6-0; Last Result: def. Mountain Brook 51-0.

6. Bergen Catholic (Oradell, N.J.)

Record: 4-0; Last Result: def. Don Bosco Prep 17-0.

This is the USA TODAY Sports Super 25 high school football rankings for Sept. 28, 2021. They didn't change from last week since no one lost.

Record: 3-0; Last Result: def. La Mirada 58-7.

Record: 5-0; Last Result: def. Springfield Central 49-0.

3. St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)

4. Westlake (Austin, Texas)

Record: 5-0; Last Result: def. Del Valle 63-6.

5. Thompson (Alabaster, Ala.)

Record: 6-0; Last Result: def. Mountain Brook 51-0.

Record: 4-0; Last Result: def. Don Bosco Prep 17-0.
I hate to admit it but I'm watching the SF Giants lately. They have a 2 game lead in the NL West over the Ducking Fodgers with 5 games to play for the season. Two more games with the D-Backs and then 3 games with SD. Both the Giants and LA are in the playoffs, it's just a battle for the NL West.

Well I hope your Giants win; I despise the Ducking Fodgers.

One thing I forgot to mention about BC's game against DB. It was sort of a grudge match for revenge since DB beat BC in the 2020 state championship game in the Meadowlands with a last minture score.

This week is probably a shoo-in at home against 1-4 Pope John XXIII.

Another TD pass from Angeli. Now 21-0 & still 2 mins. in 1st 1/4

PJ punt. BC ball onPJ 47. End of 1st 1/4

BC punts. PJ on own 40.

Last edited:
BC interception. Went for a TG but brought back for blocking penalty. BC on PJ's 3 yd. line.

TD by BC. Now 28-0. About 9 mins. lefy in half yet.

Ko puts PJ on own 11

PJ punts for a negative 5 yds. Bc starts on 5 yd. line. Scores on 3rd & 1. 35-0 BC

Last edited:
Still 35-0. PJ on own 25. On 20, 4th. Pun to BC's 35.

BC's Angeli throws 1st Int. of the season PJ on its own 9. Went backwards to the 1. End of half.

BC 35-zip

Last edited:
SF Giants have a 2 game lead with 2 games to play. Thanks D-Backs for laying down... :)
I'll pass it on to the front office.

2nd half -- PJ punts after 3 & out. BC 2nd team in on PJ 9. 1st & goal on 2. TD by BC. PAT blocked. 41-zip & now on running clock mercy rule.

Punt by PJ. BC ball on PJ 47. End of 3rd 1/4.

SF Giants have a 2 game lead with 2 games to play. Thanks D-Backs for laying down... :)
Game over. Final 41-0 BC.

When I was rooting around on FB yesterday, I saw this:

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/.../best-high-school-football

New Jersey: D.J. Samuels, Defensive Tackle/Defensive End
High school: Bergen Catholic High School (Oradell, New Jersey)
Height/weight: 6-foot-3, 240 pounds
Graduation year: 2023
College offers: Syracuse, Virginia, Rutgers, Boston College, Temple
Accolades: USA Today All-New Jersey (2020), NJ.com All-State (2020), All-United Red Division (2020)
Bottom Line: D.J. Samuels
D.J. Samuels started his sophomore season in 2020 as the backup to the state's No. 1 recruit, Ole Miss signee Tywone Malone.

After an injury to Malone, Samuels stepped in, dominated and made his own case as an elite recruit. In just half of a season, Malone had 15 tackles for loss and a staggering 10.5 sacks with just 24 tackles.

Expect Samuels to make a huge leap up the boards when the next round of 2023 recruiting rankings come out.

Last edited:
Well....I see where the D'backs pasted the Rockies yesterday. Today's game will decide whether AZ ties its season record for most losses at 111.

And...I see where the Giants have a must-win today against the Padres. Good luck to them.

In other unrelated asides...

ASU put a licking on #20 UCLA, making the Devils undefeated in PAC12 south along with Utah. That should move them back into the top 20. If the Devils can get by Stanford next week, the Oct 8 game against Utah could become the division winner.

And...lastly for the Irish & Buff fans here, both had nasty losses yesterday. I never expected Cinncinati to do what it did against Notre Dame.

Congrats to Cincinnati for the biggest win in program history. Colorado needs a coach.
Agree. When I attended Dayton in early 1960s, Cincy was one of our rivals. I dated a Dayton majorette named Sharon McPherson in my soph year, so I drove her down the road & home again for the Cincy game. I can't recall who won but I had a good time after the game. :rolleyes:

This is the USA TODAY Sports Super 25 high school football rankings for Oct. 5, 2021. My alma mater remains in 6th place.

Record: 4-0; Last Result: def. St. John Bosco 42-21.

3. Westlake (Austin, Texas)

Record: 6-0; Last Result: def. San Marcos 56-0.

4. Thompson (Alabaster, Ala.)

Record: 7-0; Last Result: def. Vestavia Hills 49-7.

5. St. John Bosco (Bellflower, Calif.)

Record: 5-1; Last Result: 42-21 loss to Mater Dei.

Record: 5-0; Last Result: def. Pope John 41-0.

7. Servite (Anaheim, Calif.)

Record: 6-0; Last Result: def. Orange Lutheran 56-12.

8. Collins Hill (Suwanee, Ga.)

Record: 7-0; Last Result: def. Peachtree Ridge 63-0.

9. Center Grove (Greenwood, Ind.)

Record: 7-0; Last Result: def. Pike 49-6.

10. Katy (Texas)

Record: 6-0; Last Result: def. Tompkins 56-21.

And Bergen Catholic is on live now against Paramus Catholic. 14-0 BC with 2 mins gone in 1st quarter.

BC started its 2nd team offense. Now 21-0. 7 mins. left in 1st.

Now 28-0 BC. Still 1st. PC has a large negative yardage so far and has had 4 fumbles with one lost.

Another 3 & out for PC with begative yardage & another fumble. BC now on PC's 41 after the punt.

Another BC TD at end of 1st quarter. Now 35-0 & the clock will now keep running under the mercy rule.

PC punts again with more neagtive yardage. BC on PC's 40. BC's practice squad QB now in the game.

Another BC TD. Now 42-zip. Still 8 mins. in the 1st half.

Last edited:
Pass intercepted by BC for pick-6. Now 49-zip. 7 mins left in 1st half.

PC to punt with 2.5 mins. left in the half. BC on the 46 of PC. BC got to the 1st & goal at the 1 yd. line with 30 secs. to go. They let the clock run out rather than pile on.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom