J-12 youth hunt

trophyhunter

Very Active Member
I got some info from a couple of MMers a few months back on this hunt. It's getting closer to June 1 and I am trying to figure out the process of our Grandson applying for the hunt. Many here have experience with this process so I was hoping someone could take a minute or two and shoot me a PM since we have never put in for any type of special hunts.
1: once we purchase his new 2015 hunting license do we request an application for the J-12 hunt fill it out and submit the app. to Sacramento.
2: when do they draw?
3: can our Grandson purchase an A tag for early archery?
4: will we know if he did not draw prior to Azone opening then he can purchase an A tag..

Thanks in advance.

))))------->

Once your purchase his 2015 license then you buy a first deer tag. Apply him for j12 first choice and a zone second choice. If he doesn't draw j12 he will get an a zone tag. The results usually come out around June 25th. Enough time to receive his tag in the mail if he gets an azone.

He can apply for the adult tags on the first deer application and the junior hunts on the second. If he draws either, his points revert to zero. He only earns one point that will apply to both applications the following year if he fails to draw either first choice. Keep in mind that max points for junior hunts is three and the fourth year of applying with three points is by far his best shot at J12 when making the decision what to apply for on his first deer application.

My son has 5 points and is 17. It seems to me that under the new rules that a Jr. could possibly have 6 points. Do the regs say somewhere that 3 is the max for a Jr? Thanks!

Don P

3 sounds about right if you look At the 2014 draw statistics it shows the max point for juniors that applied as 3 points even thought a lot of kids had 4 points

A 17 year old with 5 points will be max this year, and will have 2 shots at the J12 tag with max points. Some kids might have held out till turning 16 and applied to draw on the first deer tag the last year so are out. It will work out so that every kid will just get one shot at the max pool for J12, but the ones with 4 or 5 this year will get one more shot at it. The ones who have 3 this year must be bummed!

All most 400 kids for 10 tags max point or not is crudy odds they should all be bummed.

I reread the regs and agree that 5 should be the new max. I have 17 year old twins, but my daughter spent her 4 points last year. Puts my son in a good position to draw this year. They struck out their 12-15 year old tries. They'll get one more shot, as 17 year olds.

Don P

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom