Javalena Help

ixsolracxi

i am excited to have drawn my first javalena tag in my first attempt...the hunt is feb 1-15 in units 19 and 23-27...i know nothing about these animals but am extremely excited about the hunt...any information or guidance on where to start looking would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance...

solrac

Make your shot count... crawling into caves after a wounded pig is no fun.. they will eat you up just as fast as a russian boar.

Been awhile since I have hunted them but hunt them just like a mulie, glass early and late, they travel in groups, love to eat prickly pear cactus ( that how I usualy find them, in a cactus patch)and somthing in there favor they like to eat buzzworms too, got poor eyesight but fantastic noses...good work-out on your stalking skills for deer/elk.

There a blast.

I've developed the opinion that you don't have to get up early for Javelina...for deer you get up early and are set-up sometime an hour before shooting light comes around and expect to see deer moving around right at first light. W/Javelina I don't think that time of the day is any better than any other...or any worse.

So, sleep in, get up at daylight, cook a good breakfast, leave your coat in the whatever (tent or camper) and hit it later than you normally would.

I also don't think they stray far in the dark. I once got my pig at about 9-10 am at about the same place the the daylight ran out on me the day before. I went about 1/4-1/2 from the spot, into the wind and there they were.

You may also try a varmit call. I don't know if it spooks em, but I know of one guy that has had em come in when he was calling yotes.

I have to agree with stinky, they like to get up once it starts to warm up.If the weather gets cold , they just huddle in their burrows more times than not. They do have poor eyesight but great noses and they are a blast to hunt....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom