Javalina statewide

BluffGruff

I have the rifle tag for January 16 to March 31st statewide except units 19, 23-28. Never killed a javalina, looking to explore the flavor if anyone has a general area I could look for one. Hopefully, a spot with a chance at a javalina isn't as sacred as a deer or elk spot. Feel free to PM.
Thanks!

Those darn little stink pigs have come up into the Gila. I've seen them in unit 15, 16c quite a bit and this year I seen one in 16A up high.I have not hunted them in a few years though.

They?ve been way higher then that recently. I shot one with my bow near Socorro last year and this summer there were some spotted just east of Albuquerque in tijeras

I wonder how the Javalina stand up to the Mexican wolves. They were in the same area. I didn't see or hear any wolves but the USFW were out there on the roads about every day monitoring them.

Javelina is fine table fare.

You need to take care to not touch the hair and then touch the meat. They have a scent gland that smells like skunk but not as strong.

If you can hang them for butchering and peel the skin inside out while being careful to not coss contaminate their scent to the meat they are delicious. That's coming from nearly a dozen animals.

If you have access to hosing them down before butchering that can help also, but not often the case.

Carl

Thanks for the replies, anybody got an area north or northeast of Deming? Or on the east side of the Sacramentos they'd be willing to share? I have "help out hunts" in those areas during the season.

Seen one half eaten in unit 16A couple weeks ago. I think a pack a wolves got it and each had a taste and said screw this nasty pig let's go get an elk. Ha ha

Hey Bluff, I'll let you in on my little secret. I hunt Unit 25 almost exclusively for Deer, Quail, Javalina, Coyote, etc. There are a ton of Javalina in this unit. If you will look up the West Potrillo Mountain complex on Google Earth, you will see a whole chain of volcanic cones extending from the Columbus Highway all the way up to I-10. If you get in there from the South or come in from the North, hit the West side of the Potrillos and just cover a lot of ground. I find a lot of my Javalina very near the mouths of most of the blown out volcanic cones. These cones hold water and actually hold a ton of forage. I usually get up high and just glass out over the landscape. They are fairly easy to spot, and super easy to hunt. Their vision is horrible, but they can smell and hear well. We encounter Javalina every time we enter and hunt this Unit. I had 5 blow out of a volcanic malpais field crater last Sunday during my Muzzy Deer Hunt. I coulda blasted any of the five at about 18 yards. If you need anything else, maps, etc. just holler.

Gary

LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-18 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]I also see alot of Javis in he Floridas if you feel like walking around that rock.No need to go to the top but ive seen them there as well. I usually see the most coming up from the east side of the mountain. Ive seen them almost everytime ive been there.

ummm, those places you mention are actually in the draw areas. this hunt excludes unit 19 and 23-28. They can be found in plenty of other areas. Just find water and look for their tracks. they are usually very close to water.

*We are all in the same boat, just
wishing to be hunting right now!*

The area around Lordsburg down south is great for javilina, had a hunt earlier in 2018 and bagged one the first day, the are aroud the old mine is great, may have to hike into as the gate is now locked but its abandoned. the plains to the south east of lordsburgh are great as well. Snow lake is another area ive seen groups of them, in the areas where the trees are gone from the fire. happy hunting ol son and when youre skinning the kill make sure you look out for the scent glad in their fur along their spine, very musky if popped.

I had to scare one off last night, bluff charged, popping its jaws, got to 6 ft and I hit it with a rock. Still took it a while to leave...

I know for a fact there's a good amount in both 21 and 20. Have seen em multiple times. Last year I only hunted two hours in 21 near las cruces and got it done with the bow. Just find a place that looks good on the map that has water and go out exploring in the hills. I think getting off the road is good, I couldn't see mine from the road if I had tried. Also if it is windy, glass the slopes that are out of the wind. They seem to hate wind. Then just be quiet and stay downwind and they're easy to get to. Honestly thinking of getting a struggle stick and taking it out this year for the hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom