Javelina Polish Kielbasa and Breakfast Sausage

ruger1022

We were able to fill 3 archery Javelina tags in AZ to start 2021 off right. I was a little hesitant on what they may taste like, as I had heard a lot of bad things about them. I found out Javelina is a lot like any other wild game animal. If you take care of it, the meat is amazing. I saved a few steaks/roasts, but made breakfast sausage links and polish kielbasa with the rest.
A546C817-CDBA-48F9-9FF0-11406C8757E5.jpeg

CCBE7060-1991-49D3-9EE9-6EE76967FB2F.jpeg

While we were in AZ we were able to get into some quail. They make outstanding Jalapeño poppers. Great appetizers for watching football.
BB56824B-E4C6-40BC-BDFD-435FB064727D.jpeg

Hey ruger1022, can you please post your step by step instructions for those of us who have never made sausage? Please? I hunt stinky pigs almost every year and I usually have it processed for me. I usually have it made into regular breakfast sausage & chorizo. But I'd like to start making it myself.

Hey ruger1022, can you please post your step by step instructions for those of us who have never made sausage? Please? I hunt stinky pigs almost every year and I usually have it processed for me. I usually have it made into regular breakfast sausage & chorizo. But I'd like to start making it myself.
You bet, I'll post some tips I like to do when I am making sausages and burger, but I'll post a link to sausage making process that covers it better than I can.

I've enjoyed making different things out of my animals the last few years. So far I have made summer sausage, snack sticks, breakfast sausage, hot Italian sausage, burger, pastrami, polish kielbasa, and 4 flavors of bratwursts. I also bottle quite a bit of meat for sandwiches. These give me a great way to eat game meat basically for every meal without having to cook steaks and roasts every day. Now for the tips I have picked up when grinding wild game meat.

-I am a firm believer in taking really good care of the meat right when you start gutting your animal. I make sure not to touch any glands, and I try to keep as much hair and dirt off the meat as possible. I think the "gamey" flavor people describe when they eat a mule deer, javelina, etc comes from people touching the glands, not keeping meat clean, etc. If possible, I like to skin my animal, and spray it off with a hose, then let it dry before I hang it in a cooler, or start processing it. I think the quality of the finished product is worth this extra time.

-It is really important to keep everything super cold when you are grinding your meat. You don't want your fat to start melting. You want to end up with a classic burger/sausage look. You know it's getting way to warm if your grind looks like a homogenous pink paste. I usually completely freeze the fat, and partially freeze the meat before I grind.

-Your meat to fat ratio is super important. I prefer 80/20 on my burger, and 75/25 for sausages. You can do any mix you like though, it is all preference. I generally use beef fat for burger, and pork fat for sausages. Another option is bacon ends. You can buy a 3 lb package at just about any grocery store for about $10. Bacon ends make great loose sausage and burger. Most butcher shops will sell beef and pork fat for about $.50 - $1.50 per pound.

-I generally buy most of my sausage making supplies from Waltonsinc.com. They have a great selection of casings, seasonings, high temperature cheeses, etc. I do my own seasoning mixes for some sausages, but prefer to keep it simple with the seasoning mixes they have. You can get anything from hatch green chile bratwurst seasoning to sriracha summer sausage seasoning. I enjoy trying the different seasonings every year.

-Another tip, if you want to make sausages in a casing, I would highly recommend getting a sausage stuffer. You can stuff a casing using a meat grinder, but it sucks. It is absolutely worth the money to get a sausage stuffer.

-If you want to make something with cheese in it, like summer sausage or maybe a cheddar bratwurst, I would highly recommend buying high temperature cheese. Normal cheese from the store will melt when cooked, and when you get done cooking it, you will have small pockets of rendered, melted cheese throughout the sausage. The high temperature cheese is absolutely worth getting.

-To package my burger and sausage, I really like using a vacuum sealer. It works really well, and it prevents freezer burn and frost build up.

-Finally, I would watch these short YouTube videos on the first two recipes. Walton's does an amazing job with their how-to videos. I have learned a lot from them.

Bratwurst Recipe -

Summer Sausage Recipe - https://meatgistics.waltonsinc.com/topic/208/how-to-make-homemade-summer-sausage-recipe/2

Polish Kielbasa Recipe -

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I buy boneless country style pork ribs and grind them 25-75 with whatever game meat I have been lucky enough to have walk in front of my bullet. And have used a lot of different spice recipes. Sometimes no spice and call it burger.

no offense to anyone.......but I bet it looks better than it tastes....
You would be surprised, my pregnant wife, who can smell ANYTHING off, has enjoyed everything I made out of the Javelina. Took it into my work and let some of my coworkers try it. They all thought it was made out of pork.

You would be surprised, my pregnant wife, who can smell ANYTHING off, has enjoyed everything I made out of the Javelina. Took it into my work and let some of my coworkers try it. They all thought it was made out of pork.
However, she won't eat any medium rare steak anymore... which sucks because that is what is mostly in the freezer lol.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom