Jawbone aging for elk.

npaden

I use jawbones for aging deer and figured it would be neat to age my last bull using his jawbone as well. Found a website that shows a good series of jawbones for aging purposes and got confused.

Here's the website - http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mammals/agelk/ages.htm

The issue is that the elk that I shot this year still has it's 3rd premolars that are about to fall out and be replaced by it's molars. According to that chart that means he was just 1 1/2 years old. That doesn't seem possible, I would have thought he was at least 2 1/2.

His a picture of his jawbone.

W_elk_jawbone.jpg

However, looking at the very last tooth (the 3rd molar) it matches up with the jawbone of a 2 1/2 year old.

I think the fact that he hasn't lost his premolars is just an oddity. Based on the physical characteristics of the elk I would think it has to be a 2 1/2 year old.

Here's the elk I shot.

n_elk1.jpg

What do you think? Seems to me either that there are 2 possibilities.

1. - My elk was very slow to lose his premolars
2. - My elk was a freak both body and antlers as a yearling

Anyone else do much jawbone aging on elk?

Thinking it through I'm banking on 2 1/2 and very slow to lose his premolars.

This was on a Wyoming general tag DIY hunt by the way. Both myself and my buddy tagged out and were very happy to have an elk on the ground, we didn't talk to many other hunters in the area who had even seen an elk. The wolves and the grizzlies are THICK though.

Here's both of our bulls back in camp after the 4th day of the hunt.

double1.jpg

Not a plug, but if you are interested in the details you can check out my hunt adventure challenge post titled "Looking like a Lucky Year".

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID50/23.html

i would say he is a young 2 1/2 old bull, maybe a late calf, looking at your picture i would say your buddies bull is a year older, judging the darker face, and more developed tines, but besides that congrates on the hunt..

i would say 2 1/2. you figure being a calf for a year then a spike bull then a rag bull.

i hate hunting shows and they see a 190 class buck and say he is a year and half. yeah maybe on that high fence ranch. and same for bulls they knock down a 380 bull and say its a 3 year old.

in my neck of the woods i say yeah right but i hunt public animals not gentic enginered animals.

Based on the 2 guides to aging by tooth replacement and wear that I use, that jaw is from a 2.5 year-old elk, and a fairly classic example at that.

Reasons:
1. third tooth (technically premolar 4 because P1 has been lost over evolutionary time) is 2 cusped, erupting under the deciduous tooth, and unstained
2. last tooth (molar 3) is partially erupted with 2 cusps visible (the third cusp would not have been visible when the gums were still intact)

A yearling elk (1.5 years) would have
1. deciduous P4 with 3 cusps, well worn, but still a functinal tooth and permanent P4 not erupting, all deciduous premolars
2. the last tooth (M3)not erupted or just starting.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom