Jeep Gladiator

Wyo_Roadhunter

I'm torn now on what to get. I was dead set on getting a ZR2 but at the dealership they had a diesel jeep gladiator rubicon so I decided to drive it and liked it a lot also. I really like that it has a solid front axle and a manual transfer case for 4 wheel drive over the electronic on the ZR2. Anyone on here running one? I've heard the steering sucks but I took it out on the freeway and it was 100x better than my dodges at 80 mph :ROFLMAO:.

There's alot of people who own jeep gladiator vehicles in moab if you want to blend in there.
Funny that- I have a ZR2 as my rough country vehicle. When I'm way out in the middle of nowhere though, I seldom see another one. Tacos galore, and people beating the crap out of their 1/2 or 3/4 tons.

Never, ever have I see a Gladiator though. I always supposed they were in Moab as you say...

Funny that- I have a ZR2 as my rough country vehicle. When I'm way out in the middle of nowhere though, I seldom see another one. Tacos galore, and people beating the crap out of their 1/2 or 3/4 tons.

Never, ever have I see a Gladiator though. I always supposed they were in Moab as you say...
Only reason I'm thinking gladiator is the solid axle. I use a tacoma and I'm definitely hard on it but I'm sick of breaking struts (really expensive struts at that), cv axles, ball joints etc. I looked at doing a solid axle swap on my tacoma but at 9k just for the kit that didn't seem logical to put on a old truck haha.

20221020_115559.jpg

I'm sure they are capable. Would be good to hear from someone who actually uses theirs in a serious manner.

Beyond the price, the one downside I remember is that they are underpowered.

I'm torn now on what to get. I was dead set on getting a ZR2 but at the dealership they had a diesel jeep gladiator rubicon so I decided to drive it and liked it a lot also. I really like that it has a solid front axle and a manual transfer case for 4 wheel drive over the electronic on the ZR2. Anyone on here running one? I've heard the steering sucks but I took it out on the freeway and it was 100x better than my dodges at 80 mph :ROFLMAO:.
Beating a Dodge is not much of an accomplishment.

I bought one this past October with the six speed manual (gas version). I looked at the tacomas, rangers, ZR2, etc. Finally pulled the trigger on the gladiator after a friend’s muzzleloader deer hunt and seeing in person what they’re capable of. I’m hard on my hunting rigs and bought it specifically for that. So far I’ve been really impressed. Climbing ability is second to none and descending you literally have to keep your foot on the gas in first gear when in 4L. Wheel base is about 10” narrower than the ZR2 and it weighs about 700 lbs less. With the 3.6L V-6 you get about 285 horse and 260 lbs of torque so you’re not getting anywhere near the power of the ZR2. Because of that don’t plan on towing anything with it but if you’re looking for a rig purely for hunting and off-roading it’s got plenty of power. If you’ve got any other questions feel free to PM me.

Only reason I'm thinking gladiator is the solid axle. I use a tacoma and I'm definitely hard on it but I'm sick of breaking struts (really expensive struts at that), cv axles, ball joints etc. I looked at doing a solid axle swap on my tacoma but at 9k just for the kit that didn't seem logical to put on a old truck haha.

View attachment 103557
There are ways of doing it cheaper than a kit. I would also keep an eye on Craigslist/ Facebook market place. Lots of guys sell sas tacomas that are streetable still. I wouldn’t but a gladiator solely because they are a cliche.

They have a group down here that donates there time to help people stuck, had some family members that got stranded in one our windy azzzz whiteouts and got a hold of the group, one guy volunteered to go help, he was in a gladiator and thought he would give them a ride out but he went in and pulled there truck out the the main road, we had another truck stuck trying to get in, I’m thinking those gladiators are pretty useful for the off road stuff , don’t know about the zr2 but they do look good to me !!

They have a group down here that donates there time to help people stuck, had some family members that got stranded in one our windy azzzz whiteouts and got a hold of the group, one guy volunteered to go help, he was in a gladiator and thought he would give them a ride out but he went in and pulled there truck out the the main road, we had another truck stuck trying to get in, I’m thinking those gladiators are pretty useful for the off road stuff , don’t know about the zr2 but they do look good to me !!
Had a Rubicon Unlimited for years. No Gladiator, but that damn Jeep went everywhere. Really liked it. Some jack wagon pulled out in front of my wife and she smoked his truck. Totaled the Jeep and never bought another one. Did recently pick up a 2011 Toyota FJ with 52,000 miles on it as a new hunting rig project. Will see how it does.

Good luck to the OP no matter which one you go with.

There's alot of people who own jeep gladiator vehicles in moab if you want to blend in there. I'd go with the truck and not get made fun of. Kind of like people who drive Subarus.
I'm with Elkslayer, you don't want to be getting made fun of for driving those Subarus like me. :ROFLMAO: They keep laughing but this thing keeps bringing them home. 7 elk, 1 antelope and 9 muleys so far. We even throw the cargo hauler on for good measure. ;)
sub.jpg

sub3.jpeg

sub2.jpeg

I'm with Elkslayer, you don't want to be getting made fun of for driving those Subarus like me. :ROFLMAO: They keep laughing but this thing keeps bringing them home. 7 elk, 1 antelope and 9 muleys so far. We even throw the cargo hauler on for good measure. ;)
View attachment 103634
View attachment 103635
View attachment 103636
Ugly as all get out, but Lesbarus are everywhere in Colorado for a reason. They used to cover Wear and Tear under the factory warranty. That says something about Subaru for sure.

That story just tells me the county isn't cleaning the roads up

A Local Gal Here has A Gladiator!

Looks Like A Mild Lift & Tires!

Damn Thing Has Some Serious Ground Clearance!

Somebody above Mentioned LOW Gears & A Johnny Stick!

I Like That But Homer Will Hate It!

Last edited:
A Local Gal Here has A Gladiator!

Looks Like A Mild Lift & Tires!

Damn Thing Has Some Serious Ground Clearance!

Somebody above Mentioned LOW Dears & A Johnny Stick!

I Like That But Homer Will Hate It!
LOW Dears are hard to find. Lucky gal.

Just get a Ford with a 5.0 and a rear locking differential and be done with it. After you throw some decent shocks on it you’ll be plenty good.
Then you can still pull a trailer and pass slow people on the reservations.

I'm very content with my 2020 JP Gladiator.

It had 12 miles on it when I bought it.

Here is a link I did of a Thread.

From an F350 to a 1/2 ton JPG.

Robb
Robb:

You have a very nice setup. How is your gas mileage, pulling your trailer? I am a little reluctant to tow my side-by-side with my Tacoma. It's a bit gutless....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom