Jeeps or 4-Wheelers?

Swivelneck

My son and my buddies two lads have unit 10 cow elk tags (near Dinosaur) Nov. 23-27th. We are staying in a motel in Rangely. I do not have a lot of experience with this part of the state this time of year, so question is...
If you were me (and thank god your not), would you bring a Jeep or a couple of 4-wheelers to get around on?
Jeep is a solid TJ with a winch and chains, plus it has a hard top and a heater! Once we get to town, it's jeep driving everywhere we go to hunt. But, it is also a little more work to tow back there.
4-wheelers are easier to tow to Co, and may get us more access to sketchy roads, but we will have to tow trailer to hunting grounds every day. And likely freeze our azzes off.
I know this is kind of a hard question to answer, given the unpredictability of the weather and road conditions. Any insight from someone with prior experience in this area that time of year is appreciated!

My son and my buddies two lads have unit 10 cow elk tags (near Dinosaur) Nov. 23-27th. We are staying in a motel in Rangely. I do not have a lot of experience with this part of the state this time of year, so question is...
If you were me (and thank god your not), would you bring a Jeep or a couple of 4-wheelers to get around on?
Jeep is a solid TJ with a winch and chains, plus it has a hard top and a heater! Once we get to town, it's jeep driving everywhere we go to hunt. But, it is also a little more work to tow back there.
4-wheelers are easier to tow to Co, and may get us more access to sketchy roads, but we will have to tow trailer to hunting grounds every day. And likely freeze our azzes off.
I know this is kind of a hard question to answer, given the unpredictability of the weather and road conditions. Any insight from someone with prior experience in this area that time of year is appreciated!
Jeep…. Been all over that country with a jeep…

There in 2018. Jeep will work fine. I trailered my UTV back and forth. Pray it doesn’t rain, as some those roads have deep gullies, so you need to ride the wheel edge. Should be a great hunt.

Jeep. I've hunted the December cow hunt there several times, I always just used my pickup. The distances are long out there and it would make for a long day on a 4 wheeler.

Take some tire chains they don't take up much room. With the weather being a little crazy this year You can have sunny clear weather or a storm from H#ll

Also, another advantage of the jeep, depending on your style of hunting. You can’t have any rounds in your magazine on/in a atv/utv, but you sure can in the jeep…

I’ll be up your way same time (201) cow tag. Let me know if you need help or run into problems.
Thanks, I appreciate the offer! Same goes to you, we will have two guys and three high school age young men in our crew. You get something knocked down and need some strong backs, or run afoul somehow don't hesitate to reach out. Shoot me a text so I can get ya in my contacts. I will respond to your message.
Always good to have some backup in case the "you know what" hits the fan!
Mike (707) 225-1421

We hunted out of Baggs for years....a group of us took 4 wheelers and side x sides and one guy took a heated jeep......he was NEVER at a disadvantage....just a little slower to get around.....and he was warm

Also, another advantage of the jeep, depending on your style of hunting. You can’t have any rounds in your magazine on/in a atv/utv, but you sure can in the jeep…
Be careful with loaded guns in vehicles…..CO will ticket you for a round in the chamber. They have roadblocks and check.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom