Juniper Muzzleloader

OchocoKid

Long Time Member
Anyone know anything about this hunt ? I know it's sort of a clustershag around the refuge but I can't see why with only 10 tags you couldn't go out in the vast areas elsewhere and find a rutting buck. and I know the dear numbers are low as well. but again, 10 tags in the rut. I hate muzzleloaders but I have one that shoots the legal Thor bullets well.

My wife has the points to draw it but I don't know if she should. a few more years and she can have a White River tag.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

The MM user JB148 hunted it with his wife a few years ago. She had the tag. He might be able to give you some insight on it. I'm sure you could find a good buck and with the rut you should be able to get into a spot to take it. If you get snow or a lot of moisture you may have some trouble getting around out there. I'm not sure how it compares to the White River tag but if I had the points, I would do it. You should be able to find a mature 4 point but don't expect to see tons of giant bucks. There are still some big ones left but the decline has been pretty steady just like everywhere else, it feels like the clock is ticking on mule deer.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-19 AT 08:24AM (MST)[p]I backed off on this hunt this year as well after discussions with my nephew out there. I have 21 NR points and bought in long ago for elk but now starting to think about what to do with these. Anybody been on the Metolius late archery hunt? I can't read the draw stat chart well in my browser, but it looks like there were only two left in the point pool ahead of me? Not sure if any other firearm hunt is worth it now.

BTW really like the new ODFW website allowing easy instant changes to hunt selections! It's been a chinese fire drill for me a couple times I drew conflicting hunts right at the change deadline, and had to phone there. Just glad there were never any mistakes. But no worry now.

>This hunt is so bad it's
>going away next year.

It is so bad! But it's not going away anytime soon. Not sure where you heard that? The hunt should of went away 10 years ago!

You're right! I just heard it today that this hunt is up for getting rid of possibly? Funny thing is in February the ODFW bios wanted to keep it because there were people with 20 points that had been waiting for it and they didn't know what to do with them.

Thank God they finally came to their senses! They certainly don't have 13 bucks to take out from the Steens/Juniper unit during the rut. We need every deer right now down south.

Mt Hood or White River rut hunt is AWESOME! We did the hood unit a couple years ago and killed a smoker. Also 2 others that will make anyone say HOLY SH!T! I'll find our photos and post.

muleyman

Drew that hunt when it first started and it was great. Took the buck of my lifetime, (210+ gross)but deer numbers have tanked and truly big bucks are rare. I spend the majority of November in that area photographing wildlife and while "nice" bucks are around its hard to justify using 20 preference points for a 160 buck.

From the 2020 Proposed Changes:

Eliminate SE Whitehorse (168R2) and Juniper (171M) Due to Population Changes
These hunts were created for a high quality hunting opportunity that takes advantage of migratory buck deer (168R2) or mule deer bucks leaving a refuge area (171M). Historically,
these hunts have been popular with hunters and take many preference points to draw.
Populations have significantly decreased since the hunts were created and there is no longer a consistent hunting opportunity. Hunters that have had the tag recently have expressed
dissatisfaction with the hunting opportunity. Staff propose to eliminate these two hunts.

Back
Top Bottom