Just wanted to share my 3x3 buck

chap_dog48

Well I wanted to post a picture of the buck I got this last weekend in California with my bow. Enjoy

46d45e066399b699.jpg

46d45e1d63ff5826.jpg

Congrats!!! Looks awesome in full velvet. How about some details about the stalk and hunt? He is definitely a nice representative for Cali. What Zone did you take him in?

It was in D8. Just out of the Kern River Drainage. Not much to the stalk we have been seeing buck for the last 6 weeks of scouting coming up and over the saddles. The South Fork of the Kern river is dry as a bone. The river is not even running, first time in 25 years. Anyway the North Fork is still running and I think a lot of deer are concentrated in that drainage. We watched them coming up from the river area and were in the right ambush spot. Smoked him at 30 yards. The only problem with hunting where we were is that it was 2 1/2 miles awayf rom and trail or road. So hauling that bad boy out just about killed me. I packed it out whole. The picture in my shorts is back at my Dad's house. The other is a field picture from my game camera. I forgot my Flash card for my digital. I know the date says 01/01/00 but that is the defualt setting on the game camera you have to set the date and time each time you put in a new battery.

Great looking tall tined buck, congrats!

Why not bone/cape it out? I did one of those once at age 18yoa, and even then it kicked my butt.

Ed

46d476226e1f3c28.jpg

We have found over the years that if we can get the whole animal out that we cut down on preditors being in or hanging around in and area. We have seen people bone out there animals to only see that drainage be void of deer due to the bears or coyotes that keep coming back to feed on the carcuss. Our honey hole that we have, have stayed strong for 20+ years. However some that have had hunters bone out animals are low producers for a few years. Not sure if that is a true correlation but make s us think so. If we can take it out whole we do. Usually there are at least 2 of us. Plus we can make good time with it whole. Someone with the rifles and the others taking turns. This also is a tradition in our family we try to use all of it, tan the hide with hair on most of the time, meat of couse and the antlers, legs for a gun rack if we are ambitious.

That's a good looking archery buck from California, thanks for sharing the picture.

RockyMtnOyster

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom