Kahles Binocular Experience

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
I sent in a pair of 10x42 Kahles binoculars for work that were purchased new at Sportsman's Warehouse in Colorado Springs. They were hardly used as my primary go to binoculars included a range finder. The clarity had gone bad in these binoculars. Swarovski in Rhode Island is the agent who handles these type of issues for Kahles. The binoculars had always been in a binocular harness when used in the field. They usually spent most of the time put away.

I paid the cost of shipping the binoculars to Swarovski in Rhode Island. Apparently, Swarovski shipped the binoculars to Kahles in Austria. After hearing nothing for weeks, I contacted Swarovski for a status report. They informed me that Kahles had advised them that numerous repairs were necessary at a sizeable cost. The cost was a little less than $ 400. If I wanted them exterior coated again after they tore them apart for repairs it would an additional $ 50 or so. The binoculars had a camouflage exterior coating on them when purchased.

Essentially they wanted at least $ 400 for repairs on a pair of binoculars that were purchased new for around $ 900. These same binoculars are advertised on EBAY for around $ 600.00. I don't know if they ever sell at that price. I told the rep at Swarovski that the cost to restore them made no sense whatsoever financially. He claimed that my opinion was "subjective" and I told him no, it was just "common sense". I told them to have Kahles send the binoculars back. I received them yesterday with no written or itemized explanation as to the needed repairs, work or what they had found. However, I did get them returned in a nice box.

I only share my experience for this purpose. When you buy high end optics, you need to know what the manufacturer will do if they no longer work. A few years ago, I sent my Swarovski rifle scope in after it had lost it's charge in the middle of hunting season. I got them returned and working many months after hunting season. I did have the out of pocket cost of shipping. I had a Leupold Spotting Scope a few years back that no longer worked. Leupold replaced them free of charge. Right now, I have Leica Range Finding Binoculars, a Swarovski rifle scope and these non-functioning Kahles binoculars.

In the future, I am thinking if I need any high end optics that I will look to Vortex, Leupold or Maven because I believe they will actually stand behind what they sell. I can no longer say that about European glass after my Kahles experience.

just sayin...mh

lol....unfortunately....none of the three are high end....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

I guess I may be willing to sacrifice a little clarity for something that actually lasts. I would have bought the Maven a few years ago if hey had a laser range finder pair. just sayin...mh

Vortex will be nothing but issues.. Leupold is great but not as high quality of glass. I have Leica, zeiss and Meopta and have sent them in for various things and fixed/returned with no issues. But I can tell you that Leica, zeiss and swaro do have the best optics. Meopta is very nice as well. Out of the ones you named I'd look into Meopta first if you're not going big 3. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-11-19 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]>I guess I may be willing
>to sacrifice a little clarity
>for something that actually lasts.
>I would have bought the
>Maven a few years ago
>if hey had a laser
>range finder pair. just sayin...mh
>

I don't know much about the Kahles line of binos, but I've never heard a complaint about Swarovski customer service. I'm guessing the feedback came through Kahles. That being said, I'd never give up clarity in my optics..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom