Kaibab 2022, tags, opportunity, and life

rockymtnhunter

To my many MM friends,

Looks like I’m in a never ending chase in drawing a Kaibab tag. At 70, w/8 pts and another significant reduction in available tags, I’m not likely to draw this year again, but I’ll keep trying. The convergence of fewer tags, my age, and a significant health issue that’s been shadowing me during the past few years are all conspiring against me. The harsh reality is that every year could be my last year. With this in mind, I’m hoping that some of you may like to spend some time with me this year during the archery and/or rifle hunts. I’ve helped many hunters during the past years, but it seems that the time has come for me to pass on, as best I can, the knowledge I’ve gained during the past 50 years on the Kaibab before I’m not around. First of all, if I do draw a tag, I need someone to be with me – for safety’s sake, if nothing else. Secondly, I’ve tried to pass on what I’ve learned to the hunters I’ve helped, either in person or online. The past 3 years have been challenging for me – as caregiver for my sweetheart, who passed away last year and then dealing with the aftermath of that. And health issues. I have Stage 4 chronic kidney disease and am close to the point of needing kidney dialysis. But the Lord moves in mysterious ways, and ways that I don’t fully understand or expect. Someone new has come into my life and renewed my health physically, emotionally and spiritually. She is a blessing beyond measure and we will be married this summer. Hopefully, I will get back on track writing my book about hunting the North Kaibab this coming winter.

Some perspective regarding this year’s proposed reduction of Kaibab tags – this year would be the lowest number of tags since at least 1983. Just during the past decade, tags no’s have fallen from 1700 (total for rifle seasons & archery) to 460 this year - nearly a 75% decrease. Will it bounce back? Hard to say for sure, I’ve been on the Kaibab since 1971 and have witnessed what drought, human pressure and activity {both hunting and non-hunting), poaching, off-road travel, wildfire, and numerous other stressors that have affected the deer herd. I was there last year during the summer and the archery and early rifle hunts – saw usual no. of bucks, but antler growth was delayed due to drought. Monsoon moisture was good, but came too late. Then weather, human activity and pressure led to really tough hunts during the early and late rifle hunts. I saw some big bucks last year, but not nearly as many as in the past.

BTW my thoughts on the “opportunity” thread – IMO the original post and most of the responses were sorta off the mark. There is probably no one definition for opportunity, and there doesn’t need to be one. Opportunity exists across of a spectrum – and the Kaibab hunts exemplify that, archery is for hunters that want primitive experience, or nice weather, or see lots of bucks, or challenge, or… early rifle hunt is chance for a buck, or camping experience, or buddies, or meat or… late rifle hunt is chance for mature buck, or reputation, or unique landscape, or challenge, or “trophy”, or…

My time as rec. planner with USFS was about using the “Recreation Opportunity Spectrum” (ROS). Effective management of wildland/natural resources usually involves providing opportunities for numerous experiences, such as motorized, non-motorized, solitude, visual, and so on. Trying to capture a single definition regarding “hunting opportunity” is probably a fruitless exercise. “Opportunity” can be as varied as the number of hunters. The goal should be that there is opportunity that addresses various needs, and not just a monoculture of experience.

Anyway, these are my thoughts, and mine only. The application period for deer is coming in a month - good luck to all who apply, and please save a tag for me this year. A big thank you to all that I’ve had the pleasure to speak to, or be in the field with, or simply share knowledge and experience. These are the memories and experiences I carry with me that help me achieve and fulfill my opportunity.

Congrats on the upcoming marriage, Dan. Stay well.

pigeons.gif

Don't give up hope on a tag . I am almost 66 and drew a Early rifle Bull tag in unit 3a 3c with only 7 points and only 25 tags available. I have had 2 trophy bull tags ,never thought I would get another one. God Bless Buddy and hope You can get that book done.............BULL!

To my many MM friends,

Looks like I’m in a never ending chase in drawing a Kaibab tag. At 70, w/8 pts and another significant reduction in available tags, I’m not likely to draw this year again, but I’ll keep trying. The convergence of fewer tags, my age, and a significant health issue that’s been shadowing me during the past few years are all conspiring against me. The harsh reality is that every year could be my last year. With this in mind, I’m hoping that some of you may like to spend some time with me this year during the archery and/or rifle hunts. I’ve helped many hunters during the past years, but it seems that the time has come for me to pass on, as best I can, the knowledge I’ve gained during the past 50 years on the Kaibab before I’m not around. First of all, if I do draw a tag, I need someone to be with me – for safety’s sake, if nothing else. Secondly, I’ve tried to pass on what I’ve learned to the hunters I’ve helped, either in person or online. The past 3 years have been challenging for me – as caregiver for my sweetheart, who passed away last year and then dealing with the aftermath of that. And health issues. I have Stage 4 chronic kidney disease and am close to the point of needing kidney dialysis. But the Lord moves in mysterious ways, and ways that I don’t fully understand or expect. Someone new has come into my life and renewed my health physically, emotionally and spiritually. She is a blessing beyond measure and we will be married this summer. Hopefully, I will get back on track writing my book about hunting the North Kaibab this coming winter.

Some perspective regarding this year’s proposed reduction of Kaibab tags – this year would be the lowest number of tags since at least 1983. Just during the past decade, tags no’s have fallen from 1700 (total for rifle seasons & archery) to 460 this year - nearly a 75% decrease. Will it bounce back? Hard to say for sure, I’ve been on the Kaibab since 1971 and have witnessed what drought, human pressure and activity {both hunting and non-hunting), poaching, off-road travel, wildfire, and numerous other stressors that have affected the deer herd. I was there last year during the summer and the archery and early rifle hunts – saw usual no. of bucks, but antler growth was delayed due to drought. Monsoon moisture was good, but came too late. Then weather, human activity and pressure led to really tough hunts during the early and late rifle hunts. I saw some big bucks last year, but not nearly as many as in the past.

BTW my thoughts on the “opportunity” thread – IMO the original post and most of the responses were sorta off the mark. There is probably no one definition for opportunity, and there doesn’t need to be one. Opportunity exists across of a spectrum – and the Kaibab hunts exemplify that, archery is for hunters that want primitive experience, or nice weather, or see lots of bucks, or challenge, or… early rifle hunt is chance for a buck, or camping experience, or buddies, or meat or… late rifle hunt is chance for mature buck, or reputation, or unique landscape, or challenge, or “trophy”, or…

My time as rec. planner with USFS was about using the “Recreation Opportunity Spectrum” (ROS). Effective management of wildland/natural resources usually involves providing opportunities for numerous experiences, such as motorized, non-motorized, solitude, visual, and so on. Trying to capture a single definition regarding “hunting opportunity” is probably a fruitless exercise. “Opportunity” can be as varied as the number of hunters. The goal should be that there is opportunity that addresses various needs, and not just a monoculture of experience.

Anyway, these are my thoughts, and mine only. The application period for deer is coming in a month - good luck to all who apply, and please save a tag for me this year. A big thank you to all that I’ve had the pleasure to speak to, or be in the field with, or simply share knowledge and experience. These are the memories and experiences I carry with me that help me achieve and fulfill my opportunity.
Can’t wait for you to finish your book! Good luck on the draw. ?

To my many MM friends,

Keep pitching! You never know what can happen ! I’m going to hit 75 in Aug. ‘22. Old age is tough, but I keep pitching, even though I’ve drawn not 1 Az tag of any kind since 1995, & I have a Resident Lifetime Hunting License. But I’m a Resident of another state since 2007.
Hell getting any Az tag ! But never ever give up & let the SOB’s get you down ! I’ve got a load of Az points too, 20 deer, looking for 13-B, 17 elk, 18 antelope, 28 RMBS. Best of luck ?! Never surrender!
Jerry Gold -in Windsor, Colorado ?

To my many MM friends,

I wish I could help you. I have 15 Nonresident points that wouldnt help you one bit

Dan, our crew doesn't have the points to guarantee (or offer more than a snoball's chance) at any Kaibab tags. But I am curious, are you a resident or non?

I had the pleasure of hunting along side Rockymtnhunter a couple years ago on the early rifle hunt. That hunt was tough and we had a hard time turning up bucks. I think that was when they were still giving out 450 - 500 tags for the early hunt which I felt like was way too many. Nevertheless, I sincerely appreciated Dan's time and expertise on the unit. It was really so selfless of him to show me and my family around the mountain since we came in from out of state and had no idea about the unit.

Congrats on the marriage Dan and my fingers are crossed for you to draw. It would likely mean more to you than anyone else I know to get that tag.

I encourage those who draw a Kaibab tag to take him up on his offer. You will be glad you did.

FYI I am a NR, but started my federal career working for Forest Service on the North Kaibab in 1971. Retired now, living in southern Utah about a 3hr drive from Jacob Lake.

I appreciate all the kind words from the MM family. I've helped many of you and hope to help more in the future as long as my health permits. I'm a simple man of simple means, but my passion is found in wild places throughout the West. I've hunted most of the western states, and taken my share of "trophies". What I've enjoyed most are the friends & memories I've made along the way.

I also worked for the federal government in my twenties on the North Rim. I met my wife there and are hoping to draw a late tag.
I will reach out to you if I draw.
Good luck to you.

FYI I am a NR, but started my federal career working for Forest Service on the North Kaibab in 1971. Retired now, living in southern Utah about a 3hr drive from Jacob Lake.

I appreciate all the kind words from the MM family. I've helped many of you and hope to help more in the future as long as my health permits. I'm a simple man of simple means, but my passion is found in wild places throughout the West. I've hunted most of the western states, and taken my share of "trophies". What I've enjoyed most are the friends & memories I've made along the way.
Dan, I sent you a PM a few weeks ago. Just looking for some help.

My son and I are planning on going this year, we don't have quite enough points to help you out, but if you draw we would be glad to lend a hand, and share a camp

I think plans just changed, yesterday my son drew a moose tag here in ID so we will probably have to wait one more year for the Kaibab, good luck to everyone who is going

Did you go guided or DIY ?
if guided who did you use ?
I went with a deal through Arizona Strip Guides called Zero guide fees. I started 4 years ago now. I paid $499 to put in for Elk, Antelope Sheep and Deer with them. I drew the tag a they paid for everything. I drew a Arizona Antelope unit 10 Archery tag for this August and there guiding me again. Can’t lose on this deal!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom