Kaibab bow recommendation

rockymtnhunter

MM friends
So I have a question - I'm 70 yrs old, weight-limited in my left arm due to fistula for future dialysis (no more than 20 lbs) - can still draw w/my right, but my arm strength isn't what it used to be. Hoping to draw Kaibab archery tag this year (w/9 pts), but I sold all my archery equipment 4 yrs ago when I thought I wouldn't draw another archery tag (big mistake). I'm RH, 29-1/2 in draw, and have shot w/55lb draw weight @ 75% letoff for many years. I need to get a new bow, but I'm not sure what to get these days w/o spending an arm and a leg - will probably only use it this year, if I draw a tag and my kidney holds out through the fall. Any recommendations? I appreciate any and all thoughts & suggestions. Thanks!

Hi Dan,

Have you considered trying to get a crossbow exemption permit? Aside from that, I would say if you aren't wanting to spend an arm and a leg you could consider a used bow. New bows drop in value almost like new cars. Pretty much any compound bow you pick up from the last 10 years is going to perform. The trick will be finding one that feels good to you. I shoot a used Bowtech Carbon Knight from 2013 model I picked up second hand for a good price. It's super light, and shoots good for me. I have killed a couple elk with it and both were pass throughs. I still have my original 2005 model and got it re-stringed. I feel pretty confident with it as well but you can tell technology advanced a lot from the 2005 to the 2013.

I am rooting for you to draw! I know how much passion you have for the Kaibab and it would be awesome to see you get a tag and slay a beast. I still have good memories when you helped me on my hunt down there. Fingers crossed for you Dan!

I have a friend that shot her bull (6 point)with a 50lb bow and 425gr arrow. She did have an Iron Will broadhead, that maked up for the low draw weight. The broadhead buried in the off side femur. I would say that would be a set up that you could get away with.
I wish we had portable HD machines that we could take out there. I could run your tx while we glass for animals...as long as you don't move your arm..

Find a used bow as noted above already. Get one that fits your capability and comfort. After the season, sell it and get your money back. Pretty good plan.

I've shot Browning, Hoyt, PSE in the past. A Browning Rage was my first compound bow, hence my handle. The Hoyt was the best one, with the PSE a close 2nd. But, for hunting just one season, and with your needs, just find one that meets your limitations and go with it. Not any really bad bows for the past 10-15 years.

Good luck.!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom