Kaibab

COLO3D

Very Active Member
I just applied for archery elk in Arizona, they make you buy a hunting license so I figure what the heck, might as well look at a deer hunt on the famed Kaibab. I know that it is down right now, but is it still worth it? I just want an opportunity at a decent buck.

Just get back in there off the roads and you should be able to find some decent deer and don't forget to buy a Turkey tag and Lion tag. Try the 2nd week of the hunt and you wont have so many people, but there will still be alot!!

Geoff

I grew up hunting the Mogollon Rim and always found it pretty hard to get away from the roads. Are there as many roads on the Kaibab? I hate road hunting so it could be right up my alley.

What area did you hunt in on the Mog Rim? Depending on the area that you are used to there might be more in the Kiabab

Around ##### Hart Ridge and Maverick Canyon. It seemed like any mile hike crossed a road.

The filter on here is pretty strong, I guess I should have called it Richard Hart Ridge. Even though it is not technically correct.

Have you ever been by that road that has the beaver dam in the middle? Actually, it's not a beaver dam, my friend & I blocked that off when we were like 10 yrs old. Bad move on our part.

There are tons of roads in the Kaibab. I have hunted there since I was old enough to do so by the Game and Fish and I am now 32 years old now. The many roads in the Kaibab is why it is called "Road hunters Paradise". You will see tons of guys hunting from their trucks and off their quads. If you have the time, go the whole season. I think that it is better during the first week. After that the deer get spooked, and in the area we hunt, the deer go down into the Grand Canyon for the rest of the season. Two years ago I went the second week and didn't see much of anything, but my dad was there the first week and they saw lots of deer, and my dad killed a nice 5x3. I was in your neck of the woods last year in Unit 27 helping my parents hunt Elk. Had a gas, but they came back empty handed. Love the area. That is my plan also, to hunt the Kaibab, since I have to buy my tag for the Elk draw. Good luck!!!!
Muledeernut

If you draw the tag you will be hunting an area that may hold the biggest buck you'll ever see. The numbers may be down, but the monsters still exist. You wont find them unless you go looking for them. Its a little late now, but good luck in the future.

AZG&F is the downfall of hunting in Arizona!!!!!

muleybull:

Actually not late at all, as the Kaibab is an unlimited OTC tag......for archery.

I've bowhunted the Bab' for almost three decades and arrowed some book bucks during that time. It is NOTHING like it used to be in the late 70's early 80's. With the deer numbers way down and the hunter numbers climbing, it looks like there's no relief in sight. No longer a good formula for a quality hunt, IMO. For the second year in a row, I'll be driving by the Bab' on my way to the Colorado high country after MonsterMuleys. Good luck to those who go.

BOHNTR )))---------->

For some reason I was thinking of the draw, not the archery hunts.

AZG&F is the downfall of hunting in Arizona!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom