Kauai fishing charter

jgriffin82

I'll be in Kauai from 6/30-7/5. Anybody have recommendations for a good fishing charter that departs from or near Poipu?

Jim

Was going to do a fishing charter there last time we went and heard that the boat has the right to keep all fish caught. Don't know if its true but I like to throw some fresh maui or ono on the grill. Don't want to end up being a deckhand on a charter I pay for.

That's correct. My understanding is the boat gets dibs on the fish. However, the fisherman doesn't go home empty-handed. Sounds like the boat typically keeps the larger fish. It's definitely a much different system than what we have in California. I ended up booking a trip with captain J's. They had good reviews. I'm also packing a surf fishing rig. Our condo is right on the water. I'll catch some Poipu pisscutters and throw them on the grill.

Jim

Don’t forget your Kauai shed hunting while your there.
B4C4904A-5F3D-46BE-A6F8-FC05932FE2FB.jpeg

I ended up booking a trip with Captain J's out of Port Allen. Hopefully I get to keep a couple filets. I am packing my 11', 5 piece surf rod and a couple reels in my luggage. I'm bringing a variety of lures and flies to try out. Maybe i'll get lucky and catch something edible from the surf.

Jim

Hawaii charter boats are cheap....and no licenses required for tourists.......exactly why the boats get the big fish.

Definitely cheap. A similar six pack boat out of the bay area would run twice what I paid and still require tip. I like the no license for saltwater.

I ended up booking a trip with Captain J's out of Port Allen. Hopefully I get to keep a couple filets. I am packing my 11', 5 piece surf rod and a couple reels in my luggage. I'm bringing a variety of lures and flies to try out. Maybe i'll get lucky and catch something edible from the surf.

Jim
There is lots that’s edible from the surf.

All the boats I’ve been on offered you any fish under 20 lbs…all we ever took was enough for a meal

That's my plan. A filet or two. It's just the wife and I and she isn't a fish eater.
I know this is a year old thread, but was wondering how your trip went with Captain J? My wife and I are heading to Kauai for our 30th anniversary in early May. Been looking at Captain J, but there's lots of charters to choose from.

It was a great time. We hooked 3 tuna, landed 2 in the 130-150# range. The Captain gave us the choice to keep as much fish as we wanted. I am booked with the same charter for this June. Hopefully, we can get into some tuna again. Those things are a blast!

Jim

It was a great time. We hooked 3 tuna, landed 2 in the 130-150# range. The Captain gave us the choice to keep as much fish as we wanted. I am booked with the same charter for this June. Hopefully, we can get into some tuna again. Those things are a blast!

Jim
Thanks. You're going again with him so it must be a pretty good charter. I know nothing about fishing in Hawaii so just trying to do a little homework. Not sure what to expect for MAY as far as what species they catch. It would really be cool to catch a marlin.
Did you go all day or partial? I'm used to a 2-3 hour boat ride to fish in the Florida gulf. I'm assuming that you don't go very far offshore before you're fishing in Kauai?

May might be a little early for a good tuna bite. When I went, the Captain said that fishing had been really slow up until a week prior. That was mid June.We went about 6 miles offshore. I'm used to fishing off the California coast and the SF Bay in relatively shallow water. I was blown away when the deckhand told be the depth of water we were fishing in. IIRC, it was something like 600 fathom. The harbor is 65 feet deep. I took a 5 piece surf rod with me and fished off the balcony of my condo in the evenings. My first time fishing the Kauai surf. Didn't do that well but, I learned quite a bit. I'll definitely be surf fishing again when I return in June.

Jim

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom