Kenetrek boots

ADM0730

I've been struggling trying to find a pair of boots that I like and feel good to me. I wanted ankle support, stiffness and waterproof. I ended up going with Kenetrek uninsulated mountain extremes. I think these will do good for where I hunt in NM and anywhere out west. How has others experiences been with Kenetrek?

Love mine, have used several different boots including Crispi and Zamberlan?s, prefer my Kenetreks . Great boot and my feet like them as well.:)

I like my Kenny?s until it gets warm. The full leather is warm (as expected) and with the stiff sole I blister easy. Without the foot sweat I'm fine. Great boot for mountain hiking.

I love mine; both in insulated and the 400 gram model.

But some say they don't fit well.

I think they take a while to break in. But that's normal with a stiff sole.

Mine were great until they fell apart on my 3rd season. Sent a letter and pics to Kenetrek..SOL was thier reply. I now wear Lowa's and love em..Bh1

I've had mine for several years and went through the original soles quite fast. I had them re-soled with the vibram sole that they used to put on the guide boot. The soles have bigger lugs and they are lasting longer than the first. They fit me well and I've put many miles on them. The water proof wasn't good initially and they worked on them with some improvements. The flex part above the heel has worn through and now it's a hole. The new ones have a different material. I'm considering my next pair will be the schnee's granite ll. The soles are vibram the flex area is higher and they upgraded to roller balls in the lace eyelets. I think kenetrek needs to make some upgrades like they did on the guide boots. They went to a longer wearing sole on that one. I inquired if they would upgrade the mountain also and they said no. Also the re-sole on the kenetrek, cost twice as much as the granite ll boots

First I'd say that when it comes to extreme use boots, you have to find the brand that fits your foot. Kenetrek fits mine.

I have the 400Mtn Ext and the uninsulated Hard Scrabbles. I use them a lot for mule deer and Chukar.

I have NEVER had my feet get wet from moisture, but have from sweat.

I find the stiffness just right to allow me to hike, but give me the stiffness I need for walking across the shale I often find myself in in the high country and bird hunting.

I don't find heat a problem hunting, not even chukar. Some might, but you will trade durability of this quality thick leather for either thinner leather or some other less durable material.

I have had to have my boot reglued. The service was good, but not like Swarovski, where everything is for free. They reglued for free and shipped back for free, and threw in new laces for free. Now, I bought these boots in '14 for my Mtn Goat hunt, and have put on about 1200+ miles on them. Many on dirt, walking the dogs, but about 25% in shale, granite, or some rock. The soles are still 50%, it's just the toe kick that is giving me problems and just last week the girl that took them in for repairs emailed and said she believes they would give me a "credit" toward new boots, but I have to send them in for inspection. I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say this is good service.

I will note that they are quite careful and have been very vocal about not exposing boots to extreme heat like from a camp fire or drying them in an over as it ruins the glue. I have been diligent about this and let them know that upfront. I think that has been a lot of the historic complaints.

In the end, every product has a useful life. Try on whatever boots and really wear them and consider how they fit. Any rubbing is death. I lace mine a special way and have ZERO problem, but honestly, even slight changes in lacing and a steep incline/decline and I can notice a difference. Become and art, but literally no blisters in 7 years of hard hunting.

PS Unless you sit a lot or hunt below 20degrees a lot, go uninsulated and make sure your boots aren't too small and I think you will be better off.

I think different brand legitimately fit different people better.

Personally, I like Kenetrek.

I have a pair of mountain extremes, uninsulated, that I have had resoled. Good as new.

I have a pair of 400 gram insulation that are going strong.

Also a pair of their cheap hikers, great training shoes. But one of them recently started leaking. Probably after 200-250 miles.

Since they do well for me, I probably won't try another brand.

I wish for the price that they would be USA made. My Chippewa loggers are USA made and I beat the snot out of them and they only cost $275/pr.

Great boot. Beware of the break in period. I put a hundred miles on them in lower foothills. Took them on the first trip in steep terrain and my heels were blistered badly. Luckily I shot a buck the first day because it was though to hike again for a week. After that trip they were and are still great.

I ordered a pair at an RMEF elk camp years ago after trying on a pair. It took several months for them to arrive. The pair I received fit nothing like the ones I tried on. The toe was way too small for me. They said the shipment they received weren't sized correctly. I ended up selling them as new for a loss. Granted this was about eight years ago but I will never even consider Kenetrek again.

I had a pair of Mtn Extremes for 1 day and returned them. I work on steep, rocky slopes and felt super unstable. In fact, I rolled my ankles several times. The soles and heals are super thick. It would also be next to impossible to stalk quietly with such thick, stiff soles. I would not recommend them for steep, rocky terrain!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom