Kentucky elk draw

We will see on the 20th if you access your profile on their site, unless you watched the draw today. Which I did not so I wait.....

No tag for me or my family. I think the drawing odds are 1 in 1,000 for a non-resident rifle bull tag.

Results are in, and I did not draw. Give it another whirl next year.

Congrats to your son on a nice bull WVH

Thanks,that was certainly a hunt of a lifetime for him and me hunting together.
I don't know what is going on with the herd there. Kentucky Game and Fish says the numbers are increasing but a lot of the locals say numbers are way down.
Hunter success for rifle bull was over 80% in 2016 and was just a little over 35% for 2019.

Their Bull Harvest numbers have been fairly high over the years. I suspected a few years ago if they didn't lower some of the Bull tags sold, they would peak at some point.

PA on the other hand only allows a very limited amount of Bull tags each year and their success rates are still high. I'll still apply for tags in both states since they are close. You won't draw a tag if you don't enter the draw, even though the odds for a non-resident are low, but the amount to enter is also very low in both states.

I have some Elk preference points in two western states that I may use soon, one of them may be used next fall(if drawn) right after I retire next summer. I have hunted out West many times and absolutely love it.

Just read this article about KY elk restoration program. Pretty interesting and it looks like KY got it right. I wish other eastern states would do some transplants.

I think most have done transplants, including PA, WV, VA, TN, NC...Kentucky has been at it longer than all except for maybe PA and has the biggest herd, but they also have the best habitat as well. There is more large reclaimed surface mines in those counties. Their elk region is twice as big as yellowstone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom