Kifaru 44 mag or Ma Deuce?

AaronS

Trying to decide between these two packs. Anyone have experience with these that could tell me if the 44 mag large enough to pack a full, bone-in mature bull elk hind quarter? Looking for a pack that can do that, as I feel like that will leave me the flexibility I'm looking for. Don't really want something much bigger than that.

Do both packs have bladder sleeves? Any other insights on why one is preferred over the other? Thanks!

I have a 44 mag and it could definitely pack an elk quarter. For me, its a little bigger than I'd like for a day pack archery hunting, but perfect as a day pack during rifle season when you need to bring extra clothing. I use mine backpacking and its perfect for a 3 days or so trip. I have heard the Ma Deuce is massive.

Thanks bigsky, sounds like the 44 is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not figuring I'll be making any high country trips needing to be out for a week (could always get a different pack if this changes), but I definitely want the ability to spike for a night or two if conditions call for it. And really want the ability to fit a full quarter. Deerlove, sorry to hear about the fit issues for your brother, hopefully will be able to make it work.

Follow-up bigsky, how do you have yours rigged? Sherman pouch, belt pouches, did you go with the lite or ultralite duplex frame?

So far I only have a medium belt pouch and I haven't had a need for more pockets yet. I have the duplex lite frame.

I packed out a whole muley with some extra room in my 44 + duplex lite frame this year. Pretty impressive system IMO.

If you ask me...the bigger bag the better! I've done a number of week long Alaska sheep and goat hunts and it helps having additional room for camp, meat, plus capes. Larger volume bags are worth it for extended length hunts and when packing out large, bulky animals like elk and moose! It will likely save you a trip or 2 and be a lot more comfortable!

The new materials that Kifaru, Stone Glacier, and others use are super light and durable. Larger volume bags don't weigh much more than small bags. It's possible to cinch larger bags down super tight to the frame when empty.

Having a front zipper is sure nice on trips when your bag is fully loaded with a pile of gear. One of my best purchases was adding a guide lid. Super nice for quick and easy access to maps, gps, snacks, raingear, and other gear I use each day.

In regard to frames, my advice is to get load lifters as high as possible. High load lifters that are quickly adjustable are a game changer when hauling out extreme loads.

Thanks Jim, giving me more to consider. Still just looking at them online right now until Christmas passes in case the wife took the hint (via url link i sent her) lol.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom