Kiko Jr's First Elk

crazyelk

I finally got a chance to post the pics and details about my son Little Kiko's Youth only antlerless elk hunt from a week and half ago.

On November 9th, Kiko Jr got his first elk on the second day of a youth only hunt. After getting into several very spooked elk the day before he was finally able to get it done with a great off hand shot at ~ 150 yards with a Remington 700 in .300 Short Action Ultra Mag. He was using some Remington 165 gr. core-lokts. We recovered the bullet on the opposite side of entry, just under the hide. Pretty good bullet performance. The perfectly mushroomed recovered bullet weighed ~111 grains after going through the shoulder and lungs. The weight retention was ~67%. This is darn good. Kiko Jr. enjoyed learning about the terminal performance of the bullet he was using. He wants to learn more about ballistics. This is a good way to teach some simple math word problems.

We were working some open meadows with scattered heavy timber and aspen when all of a sudden a group of five cows jumped out of their beds and ran out in front of us down a slope. I stop them with a cow call and by the time I told Kiko Jr. to get on the Stoney Points, he shouldered the rifle and shot the last cow in the bunch with a good shoulder shot. The cow ran downhill about 40 yards and went down. She ended up at the bottom of a ravine. Boy she was hard to get out of there. I can't explain the excitement I shared with my son and all that came out with us that day.

Even though I will continue to preach to Kiko about having a rest when shooting in the field, I am very proud of Kiko Jr. taking his first elk with the shot he took. Hopefully this is one of many that we will share together.

Kiko, if you read this. Remember to try to take a rest before shoot next time.
4924dcb462a06985.jpg

4924dcde63a9a0ba.jpg

Way to go Kiko getting your first elk.

Now you can explain bullet weight retention to your class.

Jason, What's going on? I agree Kiko is getting big. You may absolutely use the story, Anytime. Thanks for always keeping us in the loop. Later

Crazyelk

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom