Kimber 8400 VS WINCHESTER MOD 70?

polarbear

Long Time Member
Howdy again.
I have been looking around at left handed rifles for a while now and have narrowed it down to the Kimber and Winchester. I know that the model 70 is a good rifle but I dont know much about the Kimber. What is your thoughts on both of them? Which has the better action? Which has better accuracy? I am dead set on a left handed rifle in either a 300 Win Mag or 300 WSM. Any help would be greatly apreciated.
Thanks
Eric

Polarbear;
Both are good rifles, go with the one that you like the best. Winchester has been around along time, but Kimber has made a name for itself as turning out some very excellant rifles. They are more pricey then Winchester, but they have a reputation for excellant fit of metal and wood, and very good accuracy out of the box.
RELH

i have several model 70's. most of them are pre-64's. but i do have one of the newer ones. the "control round feed" style that is somewhat of a copy of the old model 70. it's a .300 win mag with a boss system. shoots great. accurate, good trigger after i lightened the pull, works right all the time. it's
spent a lot of time on a horse and in rough country. deadliest elk rifle i've ever seen. looks like it's 40 years old instead of 8 and still works just fine. the kimber is a real nice rifle, but you'll probably pay $1500 or more for one.

You can get that Kimber for about $900-950 new if you check out the online auction sites like www.gunbroker.com. The Kimber will probably be more accurate out of the box. Of course you could easily make improvements to the Winchester. Both are fine rifles. The Kimber will probably have nicer wood. It also has an oil finish rather than a gloss finish. But the Kimber 8400 cannot be had in 300 win mag, only the WSM. I really want one of those Kimber's. Personally, If you could afford the exta $250 or so, I'd go with the Kimber. But you really can't go wrong with either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom