Kimber 84L mountain rifle

grosventrehunter

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jul-03-16 AT 11:27PM (MST)[p]I'm looking into a new backpacking rifle and was wondering if anyone owns one of these. I got a chance to hold one at a local gun store and was pretty impressed (308, weighed just over 4lbs). It will be for deer and would probably go with a 280AI, or a 7mm. Any thoughts good or bad? How's the accuracy?

*Correction it's a 84M kimber.

I had a Kimber 84 a while back and I was very disappointed with the accuracy. It would not shoot any factory or multiple handloads less than 2 MOA. I sent it back to Kimber and they told me it was within their specs? It was a beautiful and light rifle that just would not shoot. Several other guys have told me of similar experiences. I sold the kimber and bought a Rem. 700 stainless that shot sub MOA out of the box and now shoots .39" with 180 accubonds.
The Kimber was like a beautiful girlfriend that had no personality.
I'ld be careful.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-04-16 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]I have a Kimber mountain ascent in .300 wsm which is the 8400. I like the rifle but for the price I paid I was disappointed with a few little things. Feed ramps were rough had to polish. The floor spring is finicky, you can tell the stock is glass and pillar bedded in production mode. The trigger was ok but it's real simple to adjust down. It shoots ok if I shoot perfect. Light rifles are hard to shoot well. I was really frustrated with it for a while but I like it ok now. Not positive I would buy another one.

I also have limited experience with them but a couple years ago I was trying to get a light mountain rifle ready for my daughter's backpack sheep hunt and had my eye on a Kimber for her.

I found a used one in 270 WSM, re-bedded it, moved the front swivel stud farther out and re-painted it.

The thing shot pretty well at around 1-1.25" but I've since learned that this is the exception rather than the rule and we should consider ourselves lucky!

I really want to like them but our clan might have to be content to only own one and be happy that it shoots as well as it does.

Zeke

Of the several Kimber's I've owned and seen shot the accuracy has been excellent for factory rifles.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

Thanks 440 for throwing a wrench in my decision. They sure seem like nice rifles. Did you ever find a guide for your goat tag?

Not sure if I'm going yo or not. if I go later in the season I should have time to figure it out. still not going to cure my poor pronghorn judging though.

I like the Kimber's . but that super light barrel on the L model does make me worried. I think Kimber uses a decent barrel but we both know they're not a Lilja.

The new Kimbers say they're sub MOA on the tags. I'm not sure if they guarantee it or if that's a goal. you might do like I do, buy it and shoot it. if it meets your needs great if not dump it on someone else and let them worry about it. most guys wouldn't know the difference anyway.

You can't lose that much money in this gun market.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Jul-05-16 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]it's not a guarantee they will shoot sub moa. Mine will shoot a 3 shot sub moa if I concentrate. But how far do you plan to shoot out to? They are not long range guns but if you don't shoot past 400 yards then they can make a great backpacking gun. I put the leupold vx-3i 4-1/2-14x40 on mine and the total package weighs around 7-1/2 pounds. The muzzle break works well so now I have a .30 cal backpacking, very effective weapon.

Side note: it shoots best for me with a clean barrel. All copper removed.

Tikka T3 lite or savage lightweight hunter, both pretty dam good for a light rifle and much better price!!

Kimbers sometimes need a few minor adjustments. Make sure the magazine isn't bottomed out and the stock/base screws aren't dead heading, bed the lug and free float, may need a pressure point out front, but likely not.pretty much the same checklist I use on every new to me gun.

Never seen one that didn't come around. One of the best factory rifles in production.you can't build a rifle that light at their price point.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-16 AT 08:19AM (MST)[p]Reddog,I would have to agree about not being able to build a rifle that light for the money. I just built a 257 weatherby and after all is said and done the kimber is lighter.

I have had poor luck with the two Kimber rifles I have owned. Sako 85/Finnlight or Nosler 48 are much better IMHO....

I have the Kimber Montana in 300 WSM and will never trade it. It was finicky but I found the right 165 gr recipe and it now shoots a shade under 3/4" all day long. I know four other guys that have them (three Montanas and a Mt Ascent) and they all shoot as good as mine.

On the other hand, I do know of one person that could not get his to shoot and returned it to Kimber for some work. It now shoots reasonably well but still not 3/4".

So maybe 80% of them shoot well and the others not so much.

I have a Montana and an ascent. Both shoot well, the Montana never goes out with me anymore the ascent is almost perfect!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom