King Eiders, the "Holy Grail" of waterfowl world invade the Saga Ship.

Redbluff77

During Season 18 of "Deadliest Catch," the F/V Saga was briefly swarmed by a flock of King Eiders as the ship's large sodium lights disoriented the birds and caused a large number of them to crash into the mast. I've always dreamed of hunting King Eiders around St. Paul Island Alaska. Watching this video makes me cringe and almost want to ?:ROFLMAO: after seeing the crew throw that many Eiders overboard. Those are some beautiful highly prized birds that would make magnificent taxidermy mounts. I'm sure some hardcore duck hunters would agree(y)

Imagine how many beautiful male King Eiders perished in the collision with the Saga ship!! It is extremely frustrating knowing that we can not get collection permits but a fishing vessel can kill hundreds of birds in a very short period of time. I hope some regulations/ solutions/ can change this in Alaska. :ROFLMAO:. Again I'm a little salty because I couldn't get one of these beautiful birds mounted.Duck hunters know this The long line fishing fleet in South America has had to change their methods in order to reduce Albatross deaths by drowning. As a society we should be smart enough and resourceful enough to stop these horrific by kills.

Please share this video with some waterfowl enthusiasts / duck hunters as a good way to raise public awareness and hopefully generate some solutions/regulations. I know this site is mainly a platform on mule deer. but we can't forget about the "Holy Grail of Waterfowl , the King Eider"

Goose or crab, What would you eat?
Pretty interesting. Crab season was closed for the first time in history this year up on the Bering Sea, Alaska at least on snow, king, and other crabs. Hey, I just brought the video up to bring awareness to the guys that duck hunt King Eiders in St. Paul Island, Alaska. The King Eider numbers are also declining up around the Bering Sea. There have been more than a few flocks of rare Stellers and Spectacled Eiders colliding with fishing vessels in the past few years. These events just aren't publicized. I would hate to see King Eider duck hunting close in Alaska, just like the close of Spectacled/ Stellers Eider hunting in 1991. We all need to be more aware of and help with the conservation and protection of vulnerable seaducks.

Some say "Fry an Eider :ROFLMAO: I want my crab" Well the Bering Sea snow crab, Bristol Bay red king crab, Pribilof District red and blue king crab, and Saint Matthew Island blue king crab seasons are closed and canceled for 2022/2023 in Alaska. About a billion crab have gone missing they don't know what happened !!

That's pretty crazy. I've never shot an Eider, but I got a drake and a hen Harlequin from my scull boat out in the ocean off the coast of California. Normally they only winter off the coast of Washington.

I have a friend that guided on St Paul for Eiders. He had some wild stories. Rough seas and wild launching in a zodiac in cold ass water.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom