Kitty cat

he did a damn good job walking backwards in those rocks.....that cat would have been on top of me...laying on my back....lol.

I wonder what she would have done if he had charged her crazy like???

Anyone else had any close encounters with some critters ?
Numerous with bears, too much to type out on my phone. Only 3 unintentional cougar encounters that i found objectionable. All at my house. Lots of cats here. First let me state i always (almost) carry a gun when im outside. The one time i wasnt packing was because i was weedeating. Like weedeating a lot. Making a huge racket. What kinda animal would want to be anywhere near that? So i burned through 3 damn tanks of gas with my weedeater, shouldnt have been an animal within a mile right? Sat down on the rock by my fire pit to take a break, have a cigar, started finger blasting my phone. Looked up after a minute and there was a damn lion crouched in the brush at the edge of my lawn staring at me. Wtf??? I stood up, just first reaction, and it just slowly slunk off. I went inside grabbed my .357 rifle and went back into the trees but couldnt find it.
Another time i was inside my house, cleaning my living room, and one was right there in just about the same spot, edge of my lawn about 20 yards from the house staring at me through the window.
Other time was exciting. I had my 357 on my hip already and was in my dining room with the window open and i heard a lion whistle between my house and the neighbors house which is about 100-150 yards away. I thought AHA! i just got a lion whistle call, im going to try it out! So i step out the back door about to whistle at the cat and i hear my neighbor stsrt screaming bloody murder at her dog. Oh ****. I sprinted over gun in hand, ran right past mama lion, grabbed her dog off a big pine right next to her house. Dog looked like it had stuck its tongue in a light socket. Fur stickin straight up, that dog was keyed up! Got the dog in her house, told her what was up, lion cub in the treee, keep the dog inside! Walked back home and mama cougar was nowhere in sight. Wasnt home for but a minute and my neighbor called and said it just came down from the tree and ran off, she said it was huge, so im assuming big grown cub. All 3 of those encounters happened outside of lion season, go figure.

Anyone else had any close encounters with some critters ?
Yup.....got stalked by a female while guiding an elk bowhunter on the Manti.
That girl was also relentless, just like in that video.
Same outcome.....rock throwing at about 10 feet did the trick.

Couple weeks ago on way home from UT muzzy deer, had 2 youngish cats run across the dirt road right in front of my truck. Stopped together in the headlights at 15 feet. I was going slow, so I stopped too, kinda trying to figure out what I was unexpectedly seeing. But they seemed to care less about my truck. Were looking back across the road from whence they just came like something was chasing them. It was near a small town. I figured dogs might’ve spooked them. Before I could take a pic, they took off. Maybe I should’ve punched the gas?

Couple weeks ago on way home from UT muzzy deer, had 2 youngish cats run across the dirt road right in front of my truck. Stopped together in the headlights at 15 feet. I was going slow, so I stopped too, kinda trying to figure out what I was unexpectedly seeing. But they seemed to care less about my truck. Were looking back across the road from whence they just came like something was chasing them. It was near a small town. I figured dogs might’ve spooked them. Before I could take a pic, they took off. Maybe I should’ve punched the gas?
Absolutely

1602590308205.png

It was real funny at the end when the cat took off and he says "that's right mother F'er get out of here" like he was all of the sudden tougher than the lion. Given the circumstances he did better than I would have

Well, the guy is still alive!

musta did something right!

But in all honesty, that cat looked like it was trying to push the dude away from its young rather than attack him as a meal!

Well, the guy is still alive!

musta did something right!

But in all honesty, that cat looked like it was trying to push the dude away from its young rather than attack him as a meal!
Exactly what it was doing. It wasn’t stalking him, totally different. They are not much different than a house cat when a dog comes near the cat defense up and chases off the dog

We had a guy attacked in his sleeping bag by a lion the next county over. I had a friend that was jumped by a lion while he was sitting in a bush calling turkeys. The young lion must of thought it was jumping a turkey and went over my friends shoulder. Upon seeing it was a human, the lion took off running.
I always pack when in the woods, heck i even pack when in town for those two legged varmints.
RELH

Was bow hunting a water hole in New Mexico and had a big cat walk in. Was able to get the phone out and take some pretty awesome video. Then he started making his way around the water hole and toward my blind, wasn't aware I was there. Path he was on would have brought him less than 5 yards from me so when he got about 30 yards out I popped out of the blind and tried to scare him off. He sat there and looked at me like a tasty snack. I threw three rocks, which he watched zip by his head and still looked like he was contemplating whether or not to eat me. I came to full draw and was just about to let one fly when he turned and trotted off. I grabbed my gear and headed the other direction.

I was antler hunting a few years ago, and was picking my way slowly through a rock slide. I jumped from one boulder down about 5 feet to the next one. In mid air I noticed a patch of brown right below me. I dang near jumped on a sleeping mountain lion. I don't know which of us was scared more, the mountain lion or me. It took off fast. I pulled out my pistol in case it came back, but I'm pretty sure it was more scared than me.

Was deer hunting in the Oregon Cascades when I was 13 and watched a cougar jump onto my uncle as we came around the corner on an old logging road. Luckily the cat realized that we weren't deer and instantly took off. My uncle had a few scratches but was fine (as for me I was traumatized). After that we always carried a pistol just in case.

Nah, not if you’re prepared With words of wisdom like that guy was. Besides, you just need to throw your wallet at that thug cat and it’ll back off.

Nah, not if you’re prepared With words of wisdom like that guy was. Besides, you just need to throw your wallet at that thug cat and it’ll back off.
That's what I used to tell tall girls when they asked what would you say to a tall girl since you are vertically challenged?
I said I look taller when I stand on my wallet........ Got a few of them thinking...LOL so I guess you could say that to a cougar........

Deer hunting on Kodiak Island many years ago had two bear incidents. We killed a buck on a steep sidehill and gutted him there. Then drug him 200 yards downhill to the flat to quarter him. Probably 30 minutes later a giant bear walked right to the gut pile and started eating. He looked down at us many times but was happy with what he had.

Later in that hunt we jumped a bear out of an alder thicket. He started walking towards us, probably thought we were deer. We started telling and waving our arms. He just kept walking towards us. At about 60 yards my buddy fired a shot at his feet. He bent down and sniffed where the bullet went in the tundra and froze for about 10 seconds. Then he turned away and trotted off. Then WE turned away and headed the other direction too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom